Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

Wood has led Burnley's line for the last 4.5 years and they've unexpectedly lost him with 3 weeks to replace him in a desperate position. They *could* use the money to improve, but I'd be surprised if they did. In a summer sure, but right now, I'd be surprised - more likely to damage them.

Edited by Inferior Acuña

1 minute ago, christ said:

The general understanding of the value available in the transfer market is fucking abysmal on here like. I assume it’s due to years scraping around trying to sign people for a few million. £20m is absolutely the going rate for someone like Wood.

A lot of of driven by the media I reckon. Individuals like Lineker I'm surprised at the most, given he should know poor value for money when he sees it.

1 minute ago, ManDoon said:

They are aye, but I'm not making blanket posts saying 'oh well I can see why mackems think our fans are wankers' to anyone that doesn't like a signing of ours. I thought Cantwell would be good most people didn't. I don't personally care, but it by proxy shuts down posters who might want to contribute a slightly negative post if they see a heavily liked post basically calling them a dick.

And yet it hasn’t because this thread is choc full of people shitting themselves in public?

This woe is me culture war nonsense can fuck all the way off like. This is a forum. People can say stuff, people can respond. ‘Twas ever thus. If you have an issue with it I don’t know what to say.

Burnley fans seem really happy about this news which is always a dangerous omen :lol: They want Tarkowski out as well, as the general consensus seems to be that Collins is a ready made replacement which allows them to strengthen other areas with the Tarkowski money.

The only positive about this signing is that we will have a striker with PL experience who's name isn't Gayle available against Watford, while Burnley will be without Wood and Cornet against Leicester, so if we win and Burnley lose we are all of a sudden out of relegation zone and in the driving seat so to speak. Wether that's worth 25m we shall see in May :lol: 

22 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Sometimes it’s just, I don’t want him but I want him to do well anyway but I don’t think he will and if he does then fair fucks

Fair point, and if he does well then fair fucks indeed. :thup:

That said, if we were still in the Ashley era and we signed a Burnley battering ram for 20 odd millions, I'd still be having a hard time trying summon that much of a 'yay' tbh.

6 minutes ago, christ said:

The general understanding of the value available in the transfer market is fucking abysmal on here like. I assume it’s due to years scraping around trying to sign people for a few million. £20m is absolutely the going rate for someone like Wood.

Nah it's not like. It's looking at what other clubs pay for players. Find me one single example of a similar deal like this.

4 minutes ago, khay said:

Missing Mane at least from that list 

And PEA. 

Either way nae bad. Just very expensive and and missing a foreign sounding name. Maybe Woodski or Woodland and people would be more exited

26 minutes ago, Conjo said:

We're paying 3x what he probably worth. To those saying it will make Burnley weaker - you know they now have the means to improve on a very limited player, and it could come back to bite us?

It could, but I doubt it. They're going to find the same problems as us recruiting in January when they are desperate, facing likely relegation and everyone knows they have a wodge of cash to spend. That's if their owners allow that money to be spent, which is not guaranteed.

I'm more concerned that it could bite us by handing 3 points to Watford when they play Burnley next week, because ultimately I think it'll be Watford that we need to finish ahead of to stay up.

It's a gamble, but we need to gamble right now or we're going down. We need a striker and it doesn't look like there are any better options immediately available.

Edited by Jackie Broon

4 minutes ago, DoricGinola said:

A lot of of driven by the media I reckon. Individuals like Lineker I'm surprised at the most, given he should know poor value for money when he sees it.

Are we talking about his time getting stupendous sums for saying 'Hello and welcome to Match of the Day?' Or as a footballer when he suckered Grampus Eight for millions and kept crying off with a sore toe?

Just seen a tweet before and have to say I absolutely agree with it.

People would gladly see us spend £30m on a player they've never seen in their life, nor heard of, that is entirely unproven in this league and a lot bigger gamble rather than see us sign someone who weakens our direct rivals, thus increasing our chances of staying up irrespective of what he does here and whom has a similar goalscoring record in the same division as our current star striker.

People are mental man.

Nobody is saying the signing is awe inspiring or ground breaking or make the world sit up and listen, but it's a sensible purchase that increases our chances of scoring, and staying up; our current, primary objective.

Anyone who watched that game on Saturday will have seen that we needed someone to poach a goal or two and boss their CBs. He's that man, at this level, against our direct rivals.

Edited by Heron

3 minutes ago, M1tche said:

Apparently we haven't paid he clause price and it 15mil we're paying. Buying a stiker that scorea double figures consistently in the prem for a shit team would normally cost about 20mil, why is this different??

He's scored 3 goals this season - 3. It's a £25Mil punt.

1 minute ago, MarkyMark said:

Are we talking about his time getting stupendous sums for saying 'Hello and welcome to Match of the Day?' Or as a footballer when he suckered Grampus Eight for millions and kept crying off with a sore toe?

Either is good ;)

3 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

It could, but I doubt it. They're going to find the same problems as us recruiting in January when they are desperate, facing likely relegation and everyone know they have a wodge of cash to spend. That's if their owners allow that money to be spent, which is not guaranteed.

I'm more concerned that it could bite us by handing 3 points to Watford when they play Burnley next week, because ultimately I think it'll be Watford that we need to finish ahead of to stay up.

It's a gamble, but we need to gamble right now or we're going down. We need a striker and it doesn't look like there are any better options immediately available.

I'd definitely wonder at how much the owners will allow to reinvest, they only bought the club recently in a leveraged buyout 

Edited by jdckelly

1 minute ago, Heron said:

Just seen a tweet before and have to say I absolutely agree with it.

People would gladly see us spend £30m on a player they've never seen in their life, nor heard of, that is entirely unproven in this league and a lot bigger gamble rather than see us sign someone who weakens our direct rivals, thus increasing our chances of staying up irrespective of what he does here and whom has a similar goalscoring record in the same division as our current star striker.

People are mental man.

Nobody is saying the signing is awe inspiring or ground breaking or make the world cit uo and listen, but it's a sensible purchase that increases our chances of scoring, and staying uo. Our current, primary objective.

Anyone who watched that game on Saturday will have seen that we needed someone to poach a goal or two and boss their CBs. He's that man, at this level, against our direct rivals.

Yep.  It is certainly worth folks considering that we're in a league of four now.  We only need to finish above Watford, Burnley and Norwich.  We don't need superstars to get there - just some solid PL pros that the current side is badly lacking.  Talented, risky signings can wait.

Also, Wilson had been poor before his injury. Wood is only a shoo-in for the weeks that Wilson is out for. We will get some competition in that position after that. 

Ideally we also conclude the Ekitike deal so we have a good mix of experienced and promising strikers. 

People were whining about us not having a striker for the Watford game, we're literally signing a striker with a decent record in the PL and it's pissy knickers all of a sudden. 

Couldn't make it up, look he's literally nobody's first choice but he improves us at this current moment, no doubt.  

Who gives a fuckity fuck if its 25mil? We're rich lads and it's not our money, I'm sure more will follow.

1 minute ago, MarkyMark said:

Yep.  It is certainly worth folks considering that we're in a league of four now.  We only need to finish above Watford, Burnley and Norwich.  We don't need superstars to get there - just some solid PL pros that the current side is badly lacking.  Talented, risky signings can wait.

This is another thing. £25m is a worthy punt if it keeps you in the top flight. It's better than a £50m bigger punt because you don't know how the 'punt' will adapt. 

5 minutes ago, Charlies said:

People were whining about us not having a striker for the Watford game, we're literally signing a striker with a decent record in the PL and it's pissy knickers all of a sudden. 

Couldn't make it up, look he's literally nobody's first choice but he improves us at this current moment, no doubt.  

Who gives a fuckity fuck if its 25mil? We're rich lads and it's not our money, I'm sure more will follow.

Decent? Forget what he's scored last season or the season before - it is his form this season that counts as we need goals.  And he's scored 3 - hence why Burnley are level on points with us.  What makes people think he'll do any better for us?

Edited by duo

2 minutes ago, Charlies said:

Patter like this is shite man. This signing will just set a precident for us paying twice the going rate for anyone in the future.