Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

Just now, Conjo said:

2 years younger at the time of purchase with a better recent goal scoring record.

They signed him last summer and he’s what, six months younger than Wood? They’d be in the same year at school ffs :lol: They’re both basically 1 in 3 across their careers.

Just now, Beth said:

Patter like this is shite man. This signing will just set a precident for us paying twice the going rate for anyone in the future.

It's exactly what QPR did and look where it got them.

Just now, Beth said:

Patter like this is shite man. This signing will just set a precident for us paying twice the going rate for anyone in the future.

We’re owned by mental cunts who want to build cities in a straight line across the desert. I don’t think it’s much of a secret we’ve money to burn.

4 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

The going rate for Jack Grealish level talent is not 100m. That release clause was deliberately sky high because on the off chance it got met, Villa would make a fortune.

:thup:

We're paying above the odds, because we have to. It's no different to clubs adding £10m on because they know our predicament and we have to pay it. All clubs will put silly valuations in these type of clauses where possible to ensure there's a continuity plan of their business.

That being said, I don't think it's a great deal over the odds anyways given he's what we need and it's exactly what Burnley don't need.

How will them fuckers attract better for less at such short notice? 

Edited by Heron

1 minute ago, christ said:

They signed him last summer and he’s what, six months younger than Wood? They’d be in the same year at school ffs :lol: They’re both basically 1 in 3 across their careers.

They signed him when he was 28. We are signing Wood at 30 was my point :) Could be less but didn't care to calculate the months etc.

At the end of the day, the Tripper signing shows we will go for quality when we can. We're in a shit position atm and not many players fancy taking the risk. It really is as simple as that. If we could get better, I'm sure the board would do their utmost to get whoever. Wood isn't a world beater but has a half decent record bar this season. Like someone else said earlier, if he gets us 7 points then he is worth every penny of £25 mil.

3 minutes ago, Beth said:

It won't - no more than getting Trippier cheap will mean we get players cheap in the future.

We still don't actually know what the fee for Wood is - and I don't think 20m is crazy money for a January transfer in 2022.

2 minutes ago, duo said:

It's exactly what QPR did and look where it got them.

It's not so much the prices its the ages of the players involved. Trippier 31, Wood 30. QPR did the same thing and it ruined them. Aye we are a lot richer but it still stinks of desperation.

1 minute ago, Beth said:

It's not so much the prices its the ages of the players involved. Trippier 31, Wood 30. QPR did the same thing and it ruined them. Aye we are a lot richer but it still stinks of desperation.

We are desperate? What's your point? 

We've drawn 8 games this season.  It isn't unreasonable to think that someone like Wood might have grabbed a winner in one or two of those games - and we'd be out of the relegation zone.

That's how we have to view the next four months.  If he gets two or three winners, it could well keep us up.  He doesn't need to pull up any trees - just be averagely competent.  Not Dwight Gayle, basically.

If we had bought him for £5 million there would still be people moaning why super rich owners only spend that, we needed a ST before Saturday and he was probably the only one we could get in time. Let's wait and see how he does and who else we bring in before January.

Just now, MarkyMark said:

It won't - no more than getting Trippier cheap will mean we get players cheap in the future.

We still don't actually know what the fee for Wood is - and I don't think 20m is crazy money for a January transfer in 2022.

For Chris Wood? 

Wood has a 1-in-3 goal record for a low scoring, struggling team, including 10+ goals for 4 seasons on the spin. He's not a fashionable player by any means but I can see why the fee is in the £20m zone.

1 minute ago, Facundo Ferreyra said:

Are you feeling OK? You didn't mention the fact he's on three goals for the season in this post. 

I forgot - 3 goals.  Could we not have bid for Toney - at least he's scored 4.  Much better player as well.

4 minutes ago, Heron said:

We are desperate? What's your point? 

Desperate enough to pay £20M for a 30 year old who has 3 goals in 17 games this season? I admit that's pretty fucking desperate like.

Edited by Beth

Just now, Beth said:

Desperate enough to pay £20M for a 30 year old who has 3 goals in 17 games this season.

Aye. Absolutely.

Because he's better than having us go backwards and sideways against a team approximately 40 positions below us, who we end up losing against cause we have absolutely no teeth to our attack.

We're strikerless. He might win us these next couple of games, this Saturday's in particular. If we do, the ball is almost in our court...