Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

1 hour ago, prefabtoon said:

We where always going to struggle signing players in the current position we are in.

Also with the world cup coming up. all the top players need to be seen playing at the top clubs.

And our poor position doesn't merit any top players coming in.

We are I'm afraid going down this season and its all down to fat mike.

I think this is too negative.

What we have is a joke of a squad with no forwards. Well, a great but brittle one, an unfavoured (or anyone's guess) one, and one who's playing as a box-to-box midfielder. We need two, possibly three forwards, Wood is one of them, and he'll feature in our first league game in January. So mission #1 accomplished.

I hope we get a big name forward, on loan would do, but it's much more likely when the pressure of the window closing starts to bite. Our position relative to sellers will dramatically strengthen then.

I'll stick my neck on the block here. I'm not overly excited by the signing.

But I do feel he will be a success. I have a feeling with his character he will raise his game and as I said earlier, could be a great foil for Max and Wilock.

From looking a little deeper at his clips, he's clearly very strong physically and mentally, and has a hell of a shot. Strong in the air and is comfortable at holding the ball up.

Positives:

Strength in the air, we have fucking zero.

Power at shooting - most our players can't hit a barn door or shoot like a 5 year old.

Character - clearly not a soft shite.

Premier League experience and top 2 in many aspects of his game in regards Aerial.

He's a striker!

Cons:

Cost, age and overall technical ability. His name is not Woodovic.

Let's get behind the lad and I think he'll raise his game and even surprise us.

Edited by Oregon_Geordie

34 minutes ago, Oregon_Geordie said:

I'll stick my neck on the block here. I'm not overly excited by the signing.

But I do feel he will be a success. I have a feeling with his character he will raise his game and as I said earlier, could be a great foil for Max and Wilock.

From looking a little deeper at his clips, he's clearly very strong physically and mentally, and has a hell of a shot. Strong in the air and is comfortable at holding the ball up.

Positives:

Strength in the air, we have fucking zero.

Power at shooting - most our players can't hit a barn door or shoot like a 5 year old.

Character - clearly not a soft shite.

Premier League experience and top 2 in many aspects of his game in regards Aerial.

He's a striker!

Cons:

Cost, age and overall technical ability. His name is not Woodovic.

Let's get behind the lad and I think he'll raise his game and even surprise us.

cost he can’t help, age well he’s hardly bought for long  term is he? 

I agree with all the pros and is probably just what we need for this job, this is an ugly situation we are in and we need hard fuckers to help . 

im all for him the more I think about it and his defending will be invaluable from opposing set pieces .

Edited by GWN

6 hours ago, Conjo said:

We're paying 3x what he probably worth. To those saying it will make Burnley weaker - you know they now have the means to improve on a very limited player, and it could come back to bite us?

You think a player known for 10 goals a season regularly is worth £6-7m? 

Aye he’s had a bad start to this season but it’s not in keeping with his career.

No issues at all with this signing. A player of his type was needed in our arsenal even before Wilson's injury. 

The only issue I have is that I'm slightly suspicious of Burnley agreeing to the move (some are reporting his clause is for summer window), in case he has an injury or a physical problem somewhere. Hopefully our medical team is qualified enough to spot anything untoward. 

Only issue I have is depleting the FFP (or whatever it's called now) resource with old men but that's a bridge we'll cross if we get to it. Survival above all else for me, no objections to this even with the price tag. Always liked the bloke.

Watched the video of all his Burnley goals and he's got a composure in front of goal that I haven't seen here for what feels like years. Puts away rebounds, parries and unexpected balls to feet in the box in a way that I know we can't do at the minute. Obviously haven't seen the video of all those similar chances he's missed, but he's put enough away :lol:

Edited by OpenC

7 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

Suprised so many think Burnely will improve after this. If we're struggling to bring a striker in how are they going to fair any better? 

I guess the argument is that people won't try to stiff Burnley because they're not Filthy Stinking Fucking Rich as well as desperate, so £25m will go further for them than for us

21 minutes ago, OpenC said:

Only issue I have is depleting the FFP (or whatever it's called now) resource with old men but that's a bridge we'll cross if we get to it. Survival above all else for me, no objections to this even with the price tag. Always liked the bloke.

Watched the video of all his Burnley goals and he's got a composure in front of goal that I haven't seen here for what feels like years. Puts away rebounds, parries and unexpected balls to feet in the box in a way that I know we can't do at the minute. Obviously haven't seen the video of all those similar chances he's missed, but he's put enough away :lol:

From what I recall FFP stands at around 800 Million right now minus the 32 million we have spent. If the budget was 100million that leaves us 68 Million. 30 on a CD and another striker or LB with the others coming on loans. I actually think we might end up with Trippier, Wood, Left footed CD, (who club allow to go), and a young striker as the buys. Plus 2/3 loans towards the end of the window. I think we might actually go and spend 130million if the right player crops up. Just my opinion. Could be totally wrong.

2 minutes ago, Oregon_Geordie said:

From what I recall FFP stands at around 800 Million right now minus the 32 million we have spent. If the budget was 100million that leaves us 68 Million. 30 on a CD and another striker or LB with the others coming on loans. I actually think we might end up with Trippier, Wood, Left footed CD, (who club allow to go), and a young striker as the buys. Plus 2/3 loans towards the end of the window. I think we might actually go and spend 130million if the right player crops up. Just my opinion. Could be totally wrong.

Is that a miss quote? FFP is nowhere near £800m 

13 minutes ago, Oregon_Geordie said:

Ffp is massively miss understood it's not a limited pot at a specific point in time it is constantly changing based on multiple factors. This video someone posted the other day sums up our spending power 

It’ll be interesting to see the effect of having someone properly solid who can hold the ball up and solid in the air for knock ons and bringing others into play running on (ASM, Fraser, Willock etc). It also gives Watford a completely separate issue in terms of defence. They will be shitting it on corners and free kicks.

Fwiw looking at his highlights, I’ve seen slower players too. Sure he’s not fast but he doesn’t look like the slowest striker we’ll have ever had. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

I'm growing to almost like this transfer. As people have said he's potentially perfect in that he'll give us a focal point for Trippier's excellent deliver and need no adaptation time. He's also quite a streaky striker who scores in fits and bursts. Hopefully the change and challenge of coming into this team will send him on one of these. Between now and the end of the seasons we only need him to score and make a difference in maybe 3 or 4 games. I can easily see him doing this.

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

4-4-fucking-2

Forgot about 4-4-2. :lol:

Would definitely need a new CM, doubt Joelinton would be any good in a two (not convinced this form will last either). ASM would have to learn to cross first time, Fraser would be ready made for it.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

I think some people have forgotten what it’s like to have a battering ram up front who scores a few goals, like. A skilled target man is still one of the most effective weapons in the game, for me, and he’ll hopefully help us play a few yards further up the pitch. The ball’s barely stuck up there since Rondon was here, which makes it very hard to play off for the midfielders and wide men.

I’ve got more worries about the footballing intelligence of the rest of our attackers than I do about Wood performing his role as required. We’re fucking rubbish at anticipating flicks and knock downs when we do manage to win one. It’s becoming a lost art.

My worry is that Burnley use the £25 million wisely and buy a better replacement or very good loan option ?

Not easy in this window but Eddie Nkiteh ? £10 million ? And Origi £10 million ?

Could get Both ??

To be fair they have a fantastic centre forward in Cornet - who I think is better than Wood and the other two mentioned above.