Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

7 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

My worry is that Burnley use the £25 million wisely and buy a better replacement or very good loan option ?

Not easy in this window but Eddie Nkiteh ? £10 million ? And Origi £10 million ?

Could get Both ??

To be fair they have a fantastic centre forward in Cornet - who I think is better than Wood and the other two mentioned above.

Not sure on Nketiah. Would be similar to Maitland-Miles to WBA last season. Might be a good player but doubt he be much of a difference in this situation.

Origi on the other hand would be a cracking loan signing, would be surprised if he’d go to Burnley or if Burnley would go for him though.

14 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

My worry is that Burnley use the £25 million wisely and buy a better replacement or very good loan option ?

Not easy in this window but Eddie Nkiteh ? £10 million ? And Origi £10 million ?

Could get Both ??

To be fair they have a fantastic centre forward in Cornet - who I think is better than Wood and the other two mentioned above.

We’re struggling to attract quality so I’d assume Burnley would be in the same boat. 

Edited by RS

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Not sure on Nketiah. Would be similar to Maitland-Miles to WBA last season. Might be a good player but doubt he be much of a difference in this situation.

Origi on the other hand would be a cracking loan signing, would be surprised if he’d go to Burnley or if Burnley would go for him though.

Cant’t see Origi going anywhere until the Summer as Liverpool are still in all 4 competitions and he’s still being used by Klopp. The fact his contract ends in the Summer will not be a factor to Liverpool imho

6 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Cant’t see Origi going anywhere until the Summer as Liverpool are still in all 4 competitions and he’s still being used by Klopp. The fact his contract ends in the Summer will not be a factor to Liverpool imho

Especially as his two best strikers are gone until end of Jan. Can't see Origi going anywhere until maybe the last day presuming no Salah/Mane injuries.

4 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

I agree with most of the above , they were just two quick examples 

£25 is a decent amount of money 

Even for two very good loans - don’t have to be forwards 

As mentioned they have a very good forward in Cornet 

He’s not a striker though is he? Thought he was a winger (could be wrong).

1 hour ago, Gazzaschicken said:

Ffp is massively miss understood it's not a limited pot at a specific point in time it is constantly changing based on multiple factors. This video someone posted the other day sums up our spending power 

That’s a great video, cheers for posting :thup:

He will be a handful and a great asset, he has won the most ariel duals in the Premier league, great for set pieces, great focal point. Even if he doesn't score a handful of goals surely his other attributes can only help. 

Not going to lie but I'm gutted at this. Genuinely think it's us condemning ourselves to relegation. I know in our position we're won't be signing superstars but my gut reaction is that we still don't have the right football people in charge and are desperately winging it. Just doesn't sit right.

Genuinely think FM has screwed people's brains.

Spurs are interested in Adama Traore FFS. Sometimes in football you have to think short term, as well as long term.

Alot of assumptions about who else we could have got.

I'd have been more annoyed with Solanke. I'd have been less trusting in Martial. Spending 30m for a French teenager is far from a certain outcome either.

1 hour ago, bowlingcrofty said:

If someone had said we’d sign Trippier and Wood for a combined £32m then I’d have taken that all day long. 

Have I missed something the last few days? I thought Trippier fee would rise to 25m if we stay up, and Woods release fee allegedly was 25m as well. If we stay up it'll be worth it regardless.

2 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

You think a player known for 10 goals a season regularly is worth £6-7m? 

Aye he’s had a bad start to this season but it’s not in keeping with his career.

25/3=8.3. fwiw his market value on transfermarkt is €6m.

Anyway, Wood is in a bit of a weird spot where his worth to Burnley is higher than anyone normally would be prepared to pay for a player with fairly limited ability and few years left in him. Normally in these situations the players stay with their clubs unless their contract is close to expiring or they are actively pushing for a move for whatever reason (thus reducing the amount selling club would be able to command).

19 minutes ago, Tyne81 said:

Not going to lie but I'm gutted at this. Genuinely think it's us condemning ourselves to relegation. I know in our position we're won't be signing superstars but my gut reaction is that we still don't have the right football people in charge and are desperately winging it. Just doesn't sit right.

Weird take. How are we condemning ourselves to relegation? Today (providing he signs) we will have a stronger squad than yesterday, with no evidence to suggest we have finished our business by a long shot.

1 hour ago, JonBez comesock said:

I keep hearing this. Where is this magical cheap goalscoring superstar that no one else knows about ?

Edited by Robster

Us, richest club in the world: Seemingly struggling to attract top players. Having to pay a premium for players we could get.

Second bottom Burnley with £25m: Worrying.

Edited by TBG

The more I think about this signing the more I like it, he’s not star quality, but he is proven in this league as someone who is capable of scoring goals and a wide variety of goals, dominating defenders, holding the ball up, a focal point on set pieces and has a good fitness record as well as someone who seemingly is of an exemplary character on and off the pitch. Yes he’s 30 and that fee is silly money, but we do need experience and transfer fees are 9/10 silly money these days even for the very best players. 

His signing gives us a ready made, ready to go centre-forward who may not get 20 a season, but will get a goal or two here and there and more importantly and hopefully, give the team someone to bounce off so to speak. His signing also potentially weakens a rival (depending on what they now then do with the money of course).

It shows a number of other things too, both positive and negative whatever way you look at it, that we are running out of ideas and have a small black book of contacts if you like so we are kind of having to use that route (same agent as Trippier), but conversely that the club recognise the desperate need of a striker and that also this is probably more of a Howe choice than a PIF one who would ideally, like all of us, would rather a bigger name in. But it’s telling that they are all seemingly coming together to get what is needed done for the short term at least.

Its all about survival and if Wood helps us achieve that, 20m or 50m, he will have been worth it. I think he will pleasantly surprise a few and if we can add a decent defensive midfielder, a left-back, a centre-back and maybe another forward or attacking player, we could be in business and stay up. 

And if we don’t stay up? He will likely tear up the Champtionship…

Edited by HTT II

Aye its a weird logic.

We struggled to find a PL standard striker, so plumped for Wood but Burnley are going to attract someone better, despite being in a much worse position financially and are a far less attractive club? 

They may use it to fund two other positions, fair enough, but they have weakened a key position.

1 minute ago, TBG said:

Us, richest club in the world: Seemingly struggling to attract top players. Having to pay a premium for players we could get.

Second bottom Burnley with £25m: Worrying.

We're not the richest club in the world, we have rich owners. 

Not what I wanted as I've said before. But he can help us and definitely strengthens our spine. I much rather see him in and play Watford than go into that game with no striker, because then I think we would lose. 

Pressure will be brutal on the players so there's an extra risk of us not playing well or in a relaxed way. With Wood there's a much bigger chance of us winning ugly than there is without him if we don't play well. Plus hopefully we don't weaken our wide area more than necessary if ASM is free to play in his correct role. Him alone means he'll just end up running into walls. 

Also, there's quite a few good strikers that haven't scored 4 goals or more this season yet. 

He is a temporary fix that needs to be done. Did we want more? Yes, but he's a decent 3rd choice for the future too. 

The days of strikers banging in 20 + are long gone. Even a top striker like Wilson will do well to get 10 and it’s only the very elite like Salah, Kane et al who will get those figures. 3 in 19 or however many games isn’t great, but whenever I’ve watched Burnley, they don’t create that many clear cut openings, Wood was basically in there to make the ball stick and to allow others to feed off any scraps as a result and a lot of his goals seem to be of his own working or from crosses in of course. I’ve been impressed with him when I’ve seen him play and mentioned him as a possibility a few weeks back. I do think if he was coming in for say 10m, people would be far happier. It’s funny how transfer fees can alter things. Again if we spent 40m on some unknown 21 year old defender in France it would be classed as ambition…