Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

6 minutes ago, duo said:

What new challenge? He's gone from a relegation battle to a relegation battle.  

I wonder if they carried out a mental examination on Keiran Trippier during his medical then.

This topic has given me a thought about this and in fact all cases in which release clauses are paid.

What choice did he have in the matter? We paid the fee to get him, Burnley seemingly had no choice but to accept it and let him go. If he'd wanted to stay, could he have? That would be an interesting question to find out the answer to. 

Ofcourse he has no reason to turn us down really, he'll be on double the wages I'd think, a new 2.5yr deal at a guess, plus a bigger crowd/stadium and a much nicer City to boot.

11 minutes ago, duo said:

What new challenge? He's gone from a relegation battle to a relegation battle.  

The two situations (ourselves and Burnley) could not possibly be more different - now and at any other time.

Just think what the future could hold for Chris Wood here with us over the coming years, medium and long term . . . then compare it to "the best possible" at Burnley over those same years.

Edited by manorpark

2 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

This topic has given me a thought about this and in fact all cases in which release clauses are paid.

What choice did he have in the matter? We paid the fee to get him, Burnley seemingly had no choice but to accept it and let him go. If he'd wanted to stay, could he have? That would be an interesting question to find out the answer to. 

Ofcourse he has no reason to turn us down really, he'll be on double the wages I'd think, a new 2.5yr deal at a guess, plus a bigger crowd/stadium and a much nicer City to boot.

If the player wants to stay, he'll stay

3 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

A release clause in a players contract only means that his club must "tell him" if an offer for him is received of (or above) a certain amount.

That's all.

Everything else depends on whether the player is interested in the offer or not.

3 hours ago, TBG said:

Us, richest club in the world: Seemingly struggling to attract top players. Having to pay a premium for players we could get.

Second bottom Burnley with £25m: Worrying.

They have a decent striker already in Cornet ?

They could use £25 million on two very good loans ??

Other teams might not charge Burnley Saudi tax ?

5 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

Burnley could (and probably did, at least informally) offer him a new contract which removed the clause. But the clause is usually there in the first place cos the player/agent wanted it there. 

7 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

Name the two loans. 

Guest dazzanufc1892

Happy with wood, ultimately he is a double digit goal scorer in a team that makes very few chances.

He will be a back up to Wilson when hes back but offers something very different when needed. Crucially if we are playing one up top and plan on bringing somebody who breaks from deep, he holds the ball up well for them, ASM & almiron to break.

Its astute business as if we go down, he will stay and hes scored in the lower division already. At this stage and with our game coming up, we needed a striker who does the above and quickly. He fits the bill and we have the money. Obviously we would have liked an "elite" striker, but these deals take months to do, we dont have that. Its very rare a deal is done in a month now for a top tier player. We are in the field we need to be to survive and kick on. 

Just now, HawK said:

Origi, Martial, Alli, Dembele, Greenwood, Lingard?

LFC surely wouldn’t let Origi leave in January? Man Utd has said no fringe players will leave either and Dembele apparently refuses a move in January. I don't think the loan market is all

that good this year. Loads of 'unwanted' players on outgoing contracts who'd rather wait for the summer instead of going to Burnley (no disrespect to them). 

4 minutes ago, HawK said:

Origi, Martial, Alli, Dembele, Greenwood, Lingard?

Any of them who are available for loan (Origi certainly isn't) would have much more attractive options than Burnley available to them.

Edited by Jackie Broon

24 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

Calm down man. If we're struggling to attract quality players into a relegation scrap, it'll be twice as difficult for Burnley. They aren't exactly an attractive proposition to begin with. 

Given their debt, I'd be surprised if they even reinvest the money into players. 

with some of the refereeing decisions and non-decisions i've been a tad paranoid.

thoughtthere's an agenda against us and the rest of the prem want us relegated.

now i'm worried the big clubs are gonna start loaning decent players to watford and burnely for peanuts to ensure we go down.

3 minutes ago, huss9 said:

with some of the refereeing decisions and non-decisions i've been a tad paranoid.

now i'm worried the big clubs are gonna start loaning decent players to watford and burnely for peanuts to ensure we go down.

Come on. :lol:

3 minutes ago, huss9 said:

Honestly, as tinfoilhat as that sounds. I am still in the camp of refs being overly nice to the teams we are playing. Its probably confirmation bias from us all, but damn some of the calls after the takeover has been out of this world