Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

3 minutes ago, rutland said:

Only scored 3 this season. 

This is getting tedious. Does that mean he will never score again then? Never reach previous goal tallies? Spurs must feel like right mugs for not selling Kane in the summer now he's worth nowt and done similar in the league 

Edited by hakka

20 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

I'm sorry I'm not having this, it's absolute bollocks. :lol:

Teddy Sheringham top scored in 1992/93 with 22 goals. Most seasons the top scorers look very similar to this last couple of seasons, you can see for yourself here:

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/goals

The exception being 1993/94, where there were a lot of people getting a lot of goals, and there were a couple of standout anomalies like Shearer having 30+goal seasons around that time but then you only have to go back a season or 2 to see Salah do the same. In short, it wasn't really any different and Ferdinand was an absolute monster of a player, both for QPR and for us.

I remember seeing him play for QPR at St James', I think the season before we signed him and he was absolutely immense. He dominated everything, he was just amazing and I was over the moon when we signed him.

I want Wood to do well, I genuinely think he will and am very optimistic about him from what I've seen, but there's not many footballers on Earth fit to lace Sir Les's boots for that 5 or 6 year period in the mid to late 90s when he played for us and QPR.

We didn't sign Les in 92/93 :lol:

And I never said Les = Wood, Jesus H Christ have a word. The situation is what I was comparing to, a big player for a team that regularly struggles in the bottom end of the Premier League. Can you disagree with this?

93/94 : 

ilBXL8m.png

94/95:

7FDbeYB.png

That's when we signed him, strikers scoring bags of goals was more common.

Edited by HawK

Just now, HTT II said:

Watch him pull a hammy on his debut for us [emoji38]

Stop it!

[emoji38]

He could go on a purple patch or he can flounder but on paper he's a good choice.  Trips and Ritchie can pepper the box with tasty crosses to him.  We don't have the creativity to play it on the carpet, even for Wilson, IMO, so this is the smart play.  Play ASM off of him, let Willock ghost into the box anmd we might be able to generate chances consistently.

This not an "ideal" signing in any way.  I think the club are smart enough to transition to bridge players to get us through this season and we are fotunate they have the cash to pivot towards the big signings we expect if we stay up.

We are desperate and need an effective centre forward right now. The better players won’t come here at this point or their clubs won’t sell.

Wood is not a world beater but an effective forward and thats what we need right now to play against Watford & Leeds. 

I’d hope by 1st February we have another quality attacker signed and Wood gives us an different option. Money paid is irrelevant. 

Don’t get the hate for the signing. 

I respect Wood.

11 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

He'd only scored 3 this time last too, let's hope he has a similar second half of the campaign.

Good point this, which I hadn't realised. Hopefully he'll get another hat-trick against Wolves on 9th April.

6 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Considering our positions and their goal tallies are very similar, would you be happy if we'd sold a fit Wilson to Burnley?

No but Wilson is still regarded highly among the majority of our fans. A lot of Burnley fans seem to think Wood has turned to shite. I have no doubt Wilson will get back to form, personally.

7 minutes ago, HawK said:

We didn't sign Les in 92/93 :lol:

And I never said Les = Wood, Jesus H Christ have a word. The situation is what I was comparing to, a big player for a team that regularly struggles in the bottom end of the Premier League. Can you disagree with this?

93/94 : 

ilBXL8m.png

94/95:

7FDbeYB.png

That's when we signed him, strikers scoring bags of goals was more common.

I quoted 92/93 because once you take anomalies like Shearer out, people weren't scoring that many in the mid-late 90s. To go the other side of that, in both 97/98 and 98/99 the PL top scorer had just 18.

And the 2 seasons you've shown there, aside from Shearer being Shearer at the top and one record-breaking season from Cole, don't look any different from the last few years once you look at the players further down. You've quoted 94/95 to back your point up where 12 players scored 15 or more, but in 19/20 we had the same number of players do exactly the same. You've basically just disproven your own point. :lol:

Things were not different then, there were not more strikers scoring more goals by any measurable amount. You might be able to cherry pick and find a single "blip" year like 93/94 where it was a slightly more than a single "dip" year like we had last year, but as a footballing era overall there was absolutely no difference.

Just now, Big Geordie said:

Same as Marlon Harewood and Darryl Murphy - and if he has a similar effect (keeping us up) then job done. :thup:

He's much better than both of them in fairness.

3 minutes ago, Wild Geese said:

Woods is nothing more than a Band-Aid ………temporary fix who’ll play a bit part and coverage.

We are 19th in the league, with no fit striker.

Band-aid is what we need. If we where comfortable mid table we would probably not sign him.

23 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

Not really buying the 'Saudi Tax' thing. 

Most clubs are in a precarious position and majority are not really able to allow their players to go mid season. 

Lille haven't sold us Botman as they don't want to sell him, at least until the summer. 

There's a premium on players in this window for exactly that reason. Yeah we give them a load of money but leave a massive hole in their team which will be hard to plug with out paying over the odds.

Burnley will have exactly the same issues as us when it comes to trying to spend that money. The only way they get a 'better' replacement wil likely be on loan and if so right at the end of the window if more desirable clubs haven't snapped them up. 

Exactly. We've paid a premium supposedly so we can have him available for a couple of crucial relegation head to head battles in January. 

It's high spend, high risk, high stakes. But by heck I'm glad the owners have gambled and gone all in. 

25 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

No but Wilson is still regarded highly among the majority of our fans. A lot of Burnley fans seem to think Wood has turned to shite. I have no doubt Wilson will get back to form, personally.

Aye that's fair enough. I'm just trying to talk you into thinking this is a good signing tbh. 

27 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

But what's the catalyst for him turning to shite so suddenly? I just don't get it.

Strikers go through hot and cold spells. If he was just back after a busted leg or something you could claim he wasn't the same anymore, or if there'd been a gradual drop off over time you could say age has caught up, but from what I can see he scored loads at the back end of last season but hasn't scored many (someone remind me how many, I don't think the exact number has been clarified yet for this season so far?) yet this campaign.

That could just be bad luck and he's going through a natural dry spell like all strikers do. It could be Burnley not providing him with the service for whatever reason. But I cannot see a reason for an immediate drop off in form between the back end of last season and the start of this. Certainly his age is no issue at just 30. He's been a consistent double-digit PL scorer for the last 4 seasons so it's not even as if him doing well at the back end of last year was a hot streak, that's normal for him.

22 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

I quoted 92/93 because once you take anomalies like Shearer out, people weren't scoring that many in the mid-late 90s. To go the other side of that, in both 97/98 and 98/99 the PL top scorer had just 18.

And the 2 seasons you've shown there, aside from Shearer being Shearer at the top and one record-breaking season from Cole, don't look any different from the last few years once you look at the players further down. You've quoted 94/95 to back your point up where 12 players scored 15 or more, but in 19/20 we had the same number of players do exactly the same. You've basically just disproven your own point. :lol:

Things were not different then, there were not more strikers scoring more goals by any measurable amount. You might be able to cherry pick and find a single "blip" year like 93/94 where it was a slightly more than a single "dip" year like we had last year, but as a footballing era overall there was absolutely no difference.

I was trying to show the amount of players with 20+ goals, I didn't crop the tables to selectively prove a particular part of it :lol: I guess it's how you define 'eras', and in our glory years, 94/95 and 95/96 were those years to me.

At the particular point in time when we signed Ferdinand, it was the 'new normal' for strikers to be scoring plenty of goals. 94/95 was more than 93/94, and I think that fact was reflected in the fee, I was surprised we got him for as little as £6m tbh, it felt cheap at the time for such a good player and I thought bigger teams would have gone for him. When Ferdinand was signed, 96/97 and onwards was unknown, as it hadn't happened yet. It just didn't continue and was, as you say, a 'blip', but no-one would know this for sure at the time. They'd just be looking at 2 consecutive seasons with 6 players scoring 20+ goals.

4 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Aye that's fair enough. I'm just trying to talk you into thinking this is a good signing tbh. 

I think it is given the circumstances. Even going forwards he offers us a plan B from the bench, I just think given the inflated fee it could work out well for both sides.

It's not a given Burnley will improve but I do think we've given them a bit of a lifeline as, like us, they need to do something.

10 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

But what's the catalyst for him turning to shite so suddenly? I just don't get it.

Strikers go through hot and cold spells. If he was just back after a busted leg or something you could claim he wasn't the same anymore, or if there'd been a gradual drop off over time you could say age has caught up, but from what I can see he scored loads at the back end of last season but hasn't scored many (someone remind me how many, I don't think the exact number has been clarified yet for this season so far?) yet this campaign.

That could just be bad luck and he's going through a natural dry spell like all strikers do. It could be Burnley not providing him with the service for whatever reason. But I cannot see a reason for an immediate drop off in form between the back end of last season and the start of this. Certainly his age is no issue at just 30. He's been a consistent double-digit PL scorer for the last 4 seasons so it's not even as if him doing well at the back end of last year was a hot streak, that's normal for him.

Not sure tbh. New signings often inject life into poor sides though and we've sort of forced Burnley into doing that. Not saying it's a given they improve just saying if I was a Burnley fan I'd be be more exited with this than just continuing as is.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

5 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Not sure tbh. New signings often inject life into poor sides though and we've sort of forced Burnley into doing that. Not saying it's a given they improve just saying if I was a Burnley fan I'd be be more exited with this than just continuing as is.

Its because playing alongside Cornet that I reckon his goals have dried up.  He is playing a different role now.  If you look at his heat map this season he spends alot of the time on the left hand side creating space for Cornet.

Right now, we don't have anyone in our squad that's likely to get another 6 or 7 goals (depending how long Wilson is out).

With 19 games to go, considering Wood's PL stats there's a decent chance he'll do that. 6 or 7 goals from him could be the difference to us staying up.