Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

1 minute ago, McDog said:

Right, although there is nothing stopping Newcastle saying to Burnley, "We'll give you 15 now and sweeten it with 15 more over 5 years"

There would have to be some incentive to convince Burnley to accept that. Otherwise, they would just demand the 25M to activate the release clause.

Then the release clause is irrelevant. 

Edit: Knowledge of the release clause could instigate such a negotiation, but unless we offer the full amount of the release clause then it isn't triggered.

Edited by Happinesstan

9 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

From the Burnley forum. Have to admit that this crossed my mind as well despite it being fantastical. :lol:

Ok lost track of everything that’s been posted about Wood now but does anyone think this could just be the mother of all head f#cks from Newcastle.
Find out about the release clause.
Make enquiry.
Agree to meet release fee.
Agree personal terms.
Get medical done.
Then pull out at the final minute???

Screwed Woods head.
Screwed our heads.
Wasted BFC time sending us searching for replacements and not concentrating on chasing more important players??

And then do the same tomorrow

Just now, Happinesstan said:

Then the release clause is irrelevant. 

Not at all. Meet the release clause and you can negotiate a deal. I would assume offering various terms is a negotiation to spread the terms out isn't meeting the release clause.

If that isn't true, I'd be interested in how it works.

A release clause can have as many factors as you want in it. Entirely depends on the player and club.

A player could insist on a release clause in the final 18 months of his contract to the tune of x amount and then also stipulate that only 75% of the fee may need payable up front.

That's why contract negotiations can take so long, there's a thousand and one things a player and a club could put in there.

In reality, if both parties want to do business they will make it as painless as possible.

1 minute ago, McDog said:

Not at all. Meet the release clause and you can negotiate a deal. I would assume offering various terms is a negotiation to spread the terms out isn't meeting the release clause.

If that isn't true, I'd be interested in how it works.

Not sure if you read my edit.

But if the release clause isn't triggered then it is irrelevant to the transfer and we still need to negotiate with the club.

7 hours ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Weird take. How are we condemning ourselves to relegation? Today (providing he signs) we will have a stronger squad than yesterday, with no evidence to suggest we have finished our business by a long shot.

The problem with Bruce and the new manager coming in? Trippier signing was great but the likes of Digne fobbing us for Villa and the signing of Wood does not sound great. I'm no bed wetter but I do believe the dramatic u-turn from the EPL on the takeover has taking the owners by surprise. We are 5 months away from the Championship and seemingly playing for it.

Just now, Happinesstan said:

Not sure if you read my edit.

But if the release clause isn't triggered then it is irrelevant to the transfer and we still need to negotiate with the club.

That I agree with, I think I did miss your edit. 

2 minutes ago, STM said:

A release clause can have as many factors as you want in it. Entirely depends on the player and club.

A player could insist on a release clause in the final 18 months of his contract to the tune of x amount and then also stipulate that only 75% of the fee may need payable up front.

That's why contract negotiations can take so long, there's a thousand and one things a player and a club could put in there.

In reality, if both parties want to do business they will make it as painless as possible.

Yeas, but those factors need to all be met, for it to be triggered. Anything else is regular negotiation. It appears to me that we have triggered the clause, in order to eliminate the time consuming to and froing that would have been inevitable.

5 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Yeas, but those factors need to all be met, for it to be triggered. Anything else is regular negotiation. It appears to me that we have triggered the clause, in order to eliminate the time consuming to and froing that would have been inevitable.

Yup, plus if they want the money now or want to keep him just say no to everything offered and force them to meet the release clause number.

It's like we've taken over a greasy spoon cafe and we're turning it into a bespoke high class bistro. We need to restock the pantry. We're under no pressure to order the Chateaubriands and Lobster until closer to opening. But we need the staples right now. 

48 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

It's like we've taken over a greasy spoon cafe and we're turning it into a bespoke high class bistro. We need to restock the pantry. We're under no pressure to order the Chateaubriands and Lobster until closer to opening. But we need the staples right now. 

We were a red light district street prozzie turning tricks and we're transforming into a high class hooker who can attract wealthy corporate financier clients. Currently the designer shops aren't keen to sell us nice new clothes, but that'll soon change.

Edited by bobbydazzla

1 hour ago, Facundo Ferreyra said:

They're not even gonna get the whole £25m straight away. It'll be paid in installments. They're not going to be able to sign a Premier League level striker with what we'll give them up front. 

Do we even have a choice to pay in installments when it's a release clause we are activating? I doubt it. In theory we could pay the fee in installments over the course of 100 years or something daft as long as the total was met :lol: 

9 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

We were a red light district street prozzie turning tricks and we're transforming into a high class hooker who can attract wealthy corporate financier clients. Currently the designer shops aren't keen to sell us nice new clothes, but that'll soon change.

I can just see Howe saying to Digne and Botman next year holding three trophies in his hands and saying to them… big mistake

3 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

I can just see Howe saying to Digne and Botman next year holding three trophies in his hands and saying to them… big mistake

Hopefully we score a last minute winner v Villa and Howe does to Digne what Maguire did to Johnson last night.

1 hour ago, LRD said:

If that is a release clause, surely it is in one lump sum to secure the player? Otherwise they have the right to reject say, a proposal to pay it over ten years or have to come to an agreement with the buying club, which means it is not certain.

It will probably be set out in the contract how the release clause has to be paid.  Doesn't mean its all up front though.