Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

First half I thought there was the odd glimpse. Worked the channels well a couple of times. Got on the end of scruffy, not even half chances and put himself about.

Second half, along with the rest of the team. He looked absolutely clueless and useless. 

Not like he gets any service and we create absolutely fuck all. But it seemed like we were unsure on how to try and get the ball to him and so did he. 

23 minutes ago, Oregon_Geordie said:

If you play him, you play Maxi or Miggy / Wilock off him. He was isolated and he's neither technical nor fast enough (slow as fuck) to do anything himself. Piss Poor!

Miggy would be a waste of time, you need someone who'll pick up the knockdowns and plant them in the net. Almiron would just spin round twice and then pass it to the full back. 

Willock would be the one, but not sure if he even wants to be here right now. 

Think he did what he does fairly well, but he didn’t get any decent service that would allow him to threaten to score. Not sure what the plan was with that. 

That said, it did unsettle Watford that we had someone to aim for and it did seem to encourage some of our players to play more dangerous passes. 

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Think he did what he does fairly well, but he didn’t get any decent service that would allow him to threaten to score. Not sure what the plan was with that. 

That said, it did unsettle Watford that we had someone to aim for and it did seem to encourage some of our players to play more dangerous passes. 

That's a fair assessment, he wasn't great, but I don't really see what else he could do, he's a finisher who gets on the end of stuff. There wasn't really much for him to attack today. 

He's been out of form, reportedly carrying a knock, playing in an unfamiliar team with a different system, and then thrown straight in.

I think he needs a bit more time before making judgements. I do know we don't have time, but that's on us, not him.

If Gayle had been fit, I expect he might have been played instead, with Wood on as a 70 min sub.

Long term (well mid term), maybe that will be his best role, coming on to change the style of play if we're behind, with set pieces etc. We'll see.

9 minutes ago, andycap said:

Seems to be the problem with these wingers they seem to cut inside by default and shoot. Not like a Keith Gillespie type that would whip in constant balls for the striker to attack. 

It's so frustrating to watch. We should've been absolutely caning them into the box at every opportunity. 

Guest reefatoon

That £25m price tag is going to weigh heavy around his neck as he is in no way a £25m striker. If we picked him up cheap then it would probably feel quite an astute signing, but he will end up on a hiding to nothing with that price tag.

Edited by reefatoon

We need to be willing to throw crosses in for this lad to thrive. 

Given how often we find Maxi shut out, we need to be using those moments to switch it quickly to the right and get Fraser/Trippier whipping it in.