Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

16 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

I thought he was alright. That was the consensus around me too. Won quite a lot of aerial challenges and held up play pretty well. But didn’t really find himself in any threatening positions.

He was, more of the question is how we’re going to supply him. Or supply anyone for that matter. 

9 minutes ago, loki679 said:

What was everyone expecting?  It's Chris Wood from Burnley :lol:

Some better supply and more players around him. We know he's good in the air, but they defended against him pretty well tbh. There was only two threats up front, Max and him, and once they nullified them, they didn't really have to worry about anyone else, most of our players like standing back and watching. 

As I’ve posted elsewhere, he did ok, won most of his headers and had no real service. He performed as I expected. We’ve got him in and now need to get Lascelles out and also somehow manage to upgrade Longstaff and ideally Shelvey.

ASM, goal aside, was pretty anonymous and has to contribute more (I know it’s a contradiction as he’s scored a few but he’s been nowhere near his previous level).

Guest Biggsbond14

Can’t blame wood for today not one player gave him the ball either from a cross or anything to feet in 90 whatever minutes, he had nothing behind him to find him all struggling because 5hey are shit/ devoid of confidence. For me the formation and/or the players we have don’t help and that includes Wilson who rarely gets a ball to him from midfield 

ASM so doesn't want to be a right winger.  How many times today did he have a change to run ahead but instead cut inside of the man with the ball.  Great talent but he is not a winger and he doesn't want to be a winger, so dont play him as a winger!

2 minutes ago, Awaymag said:

ASM so doesn't want to be a right winger.  How many times today did he have a change to run ahead but instead cut inside of the man with the ball.  Great talent but he is not a winger and he doesn't want to be a winger, so dont play him as a winger!

Where do you suggest we play him? :lol: 

Guest Biggsbond14
1 minute ago, Awaymag said:

He was mostly left then started switching with frazer and my thought is we need a change of formation/  personnel to turn it around 

3 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

Where do you suggest we play him? :lol: 

So, we have bought Wood - who is a target man and thrives on crosses.   If you are going to play Wood then you need wingers that will whip the ball in.    ASM is never ever going to whip the ball in so playing him on the wing basically mean you have reduce Wood opportunities by 50%.   If playing Wood I would have ASM playing just behind, in a 10 role.  Wood can knock down to ASM and ASM can then drive at the defenders!

I didnt see the game, so I'm going on past experience, but he's also less likely to be successful if ASM doesnt start releasing the ball a lot earlier! A Chris Wood type striker does not work with a forward who tries and take it from the half way line in to the box on his own. He'll be crowded out or offside by the time he gets it. He needs the ball early or it'll be a pointless singing.

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

14 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

I didnt see the game, so I'm going on past experience, but he's also less likely to be successful if ASM doesnt start releasing the ball a lot earlier! A Chris Wood type striker does not work with a forward who tries and take it from the half way line in to the box on his own. He'll be crowded out or offside by the time he gets it. He needs the ball early or it'll be a pointless singing.

Aye @ManDoon sort of pointed that out during the game like. We have a big bean pole upfront but were rarely trying to find him from deep.

The team created nothing of note for him, left feeding off scraps but he made a nuisance of himself and made the ball stick a bit further up.

We need pace up front to go alongside him, ASM looks like he’s about to break down after 70 mins in every game and Fraser just runs around like a Jack Russell chasing a ball.

2 hours ago, Skeletor said:

We've only kept two clean sheets this season (in normal time), and both were when this lad was up front for the other team...

This sums it up for me. I'm sure Stavely and Co's hearts are in the right place but they've fucked up just about everything so far when it comes to incoming personnel.

Didn't do much, didn't do much wrong / didn't do much, didn't do much wrong.

He's the type absolutely reliant on chances and supply so we give him none.

Hard to judge but pretty much what was expected other than from some good crosses - its a bolt shot

I thought he was OK. Some nice touches, a couple of times he was slow to react etc.

I quite liked that we didn't just try to lump it up to him and wanted to mix up build up. What I didn't like was the lack of trying to get crosses in early for someone who obviously wins a lot in the air. Got to be smarter than that.

Didn't think he was bad at all, without pulling up any trees. He won most of his headers, the odd free-kick and his presence in the team occupied the defenders. On a totally different wavelength to the rest of our attackers like, but of course he would be. I think he'll be alright for us if collectively we improve. 

50 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Didn't think he was bad at all, without pulling up any trees. He won most of his headers, the odd free-kick and his presence in the team occupied the defenders. On a totally different wavelength to the rest of our attackers like, but of course he would be. I think he'll be alright for us if collectively we improve. 

It was his touch or lack of that was evident today - no hold up play - he just doesn't look like a player in form.  Because he's not.  Mind still boggles as to why we paid so much to buy him.  Martial is so much better suited to how we are set up to play. We would have been better paying him £25mil to come on loan until the end of season.

5 minutes ago, duo said:

It was his touch or lack of that was evident today - no hold up play - he just doesn't look like a player in form.  Because he's not.  Mind still boggles as to why we paid so much to buy him.  Martial is so much better suited to how we are set up to play. We would have been better paying him £25mil to come on loan until the end of season.

He doesn't want to come here. How hard is that to comprehend?