Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

Very odd to come here and levy criticism towards Chris Wood, tbh. Guy has not even been at the club 10 days, but has come in and played 180 minutes right away at a time where the alternative was Dwight Gayle or no striker. Club has gained 4 points in his 10 days contrasted against 11 total in the five prior months of the season.

Even a seasoned Premier League player like Wood will need to adjust to a new team. Hope is for more from him, but no problem thus far.

1 minute ago, Segun Oluwaniyi said:

Very odd to come here and levy criticism towards Chris Wood, tbh. Guy has not even been at the club 10 days, but has come in and played 180 minutes right away at a time where the alternative was Dwight Gayle or no striker. Club has gained 4 points in his 10 days contrasted against 11 total in the five prior months of the season.

Even a seasoned Premier League player like Wood will need to adjust to a new team. Hope is for more from him, but no problem thus far.

25 million and 80k a week for what he has shown us so far is pretty atrocious. I don't know what you guys can see in a man that is on the wrong side of his 30s and in the worst form in PL of his career. But please I want to know so I can get om the same train, what are you guys seeing?

Shit tonight and the last game.

But he’s clearly off the pace and has just joined. Not the answer going forward but we need to give him time and he’ll do a job while Wilson recovers. 

1 minute ago, Ben said:

Twitter seems to think he played well, the Chronicle said he was outstanding.

Not sure what they saw that I didn’t, he wasn’t awful but he wasn’t particularly good either. Outstanding? Bizarre comment 

1 minute ago, Ben said:

Twitter seems to think he played well, the Chronicle said he was outstanding.

He really wasn’t. But you rarely get a new signing hitting the ground running  unless they are a creative, high on confidence type of player 

Guest neesy111
1 minute ago, gbandit said:

Not sure what they saw that I didn’t, he wasn’t awful but he wasn’t particularly good either. Outstanding? Bizarre comment 

I hardly heard his name mentioned for the first 30 mins of the game.

It's a tough role to play in our side, with a general lack of midfield runners and ASM breakdancing out wide making it impossible to anticipate anything coming from him. Nevertheless he did his job to an OK degree today, causes a problem for the opposition defence who have to expect a flick on, meaning they can't squeeze up the pitch as much.

Thought he did what he was supposed to do in the air fairly well, but would have liked more from him positionally in the box and hold up play. There was an almost chance I'd have fancied him to bury, where a Leeds defender nicked in because the ball to him wasn't quite right, so I can definitely see him getting goals.

I listened to the match on Talksport 2.

They seemed to think he was alright, especially towards the end of the game when we were trying to see the game out.

Rather have him as a focal point than not, and he definitely needs time with his new teammates.

Whatever, it was a decent shout just to have sent Burnley into such a flap.

He gave us some presence up front. He flicked on well and brought others into things without actually looking like he was going to score himself.

Overall I thought he was decent. Far better than us putting Gayle up there or playing with nobody.

We need to play to his strengths though if he's going to score - we need width and early crosses. Fraser might do that but ASM won't because he checks back inside too much and that's no use for a target man like Wood.

When we signed him I thought we'd paid 10 million too much. After two games I'm inclined to think it's more like 15. Not terrible but the definition of limited. I said to a mate when he signed that I thought he'd turn out to be a good, bad signing. As in that he he'll help us belly flop over the line to survival and won't mind warming the bench next year, but by God we were done over on the price!

Did we even create a chance for him? Hard to judge him too harshly when he's feeding off scraps; Wilson has had similar games when he's had no service whatsoever, but he has the ability to chase down and potentially create something for himself.

We can't expect him to be Wilson; I still think he'll get some goals for us, but he's never going to pull up trees. Rather him than Gayle, 25 million outlay aside :lol:

12 minutes ago, Geordie_once_removed said:

When we signed him I thought we'd paid 10 million too much. After two games I'm inclined to think it's more like 15. Not terrible but the definition of limited. I said to a mate when he signed that I thought he'd turn out to be a good, bad signing. As in that he he'll help us belly flop over the line to survival and won't mind warming the bench next year, but by God we were done over on the price!

You shouldn't even give the price a second glance.  As soon as Wilson was injured we were in dire straits (due to the incompetence of the past management) so we were absolutely desperate for a main striker.  We now have one and our game plan can come to fruition.  A Premier league team with one striker/attacker is shocking.  Having said that Chris Wood hasn't started great but it's only two games ffs.

1 minute ago, Chrisjraby said:

Did we even create a chance for him? Hard to judge him too harshly when he's feeding off scraps; Wilson has had similar games when he's had no service whatsoever, but he has the ability to chase down and potentially create something for himself.

We can't expect him to be Wilson; I still think he'll get some goals for us, but he's never going to pull up trees. Rather him than Gayle, 25 million outlay aside :lol:

No we have created NOTHING for the lad, he fits nowhere into this team but he put a shift in, gives us a focal point and I don’t give a shit about the money or his return if we stay up.

As long as the lad tries 

11 minutes ago, Rod said:

You shouldn't even give the price a second glance.  As soon as Wilson was injured we were in dire straits (due to the incompetence of the past management) so we were absolutely desperate for a main striker.  We now have one and our game plan can come to fruition.  A Premier league team with one striker/attacker is shocking.  Having said that Chris Wood hasn't started great but it's only two games ffs.

I think we're probably saying the samething in different ways. If we survive I'm sure he'll have played a key role, so will have been a 'good' buy.

Really good in the air today. Certainly felt like we tried to target him more with long balls and got Fraser and ASM closer to him and trying to run off him. Willock a bit nearer the end, too. 

Hold up play was ok at times. But his touch looks awful a lot of the time. Often loses it when he should be favourite to get his body in. 

He’s a handful and will do as an option. Hoping he’s just a stop gap until we sign someone else and Wilson returns to fitness. Fingers crossed he can contribute with a few goals.