Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

2 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

Maybe there were signs of competence today.  Might just need time to get up to speed with the squad.

Probably scores 3 or 4 goals, no more.  We do need Wilson or someone else back sharpish.

Agree we need WIlson back ASAP, but if he scores 3 or 4 goals between now and the end of the season that could well be enough to keep us up.

18 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Really good in the air today. Certainly felt like we tried to target him more with long balls and got Fraser and ASM closer to him and trying to run off him. Willock a bit nearer the end, too. 

Hold up play was ok at times. But his touch looks awful a lot of the time. Often loses it when he should be favourite to get his body in. 

He’s a handful and will do as an option. Hoping he’s just a stop gap until we sign someone else and Wilson returns to fitness. Fingers crossed he can contribute with a few goals. 

Pretty much what I think, I'd add that he does add extra value to us at the minute purely for how bad our midfield is..  at times we can bypass it with longball (ugh) and use his flick ons for ASM etc. He had a couple of nice flicks from Dubs kicks today and held up the ball nicely and relieved pressure well at key moments to. Also if he gets a decent headed chance in the box hes likely to bury it, less so with his feet. 

Edited by Nine

Just now, Ronaldo said:

All the young, pacy, talented strikers in Europe and beyond we could’ve had for £25m or so, and we end up with Chris Wood. [emoji38]

not when we were second bottom and were facing burnley without a fit striker in a couple of days time.

i understand what you're saying though and think we will still get that young pacy striker in before the end of january.

Thought he did his part. Was a physical presence up front that occupied the other side and opened up space for ASM, Frazer, and Wlilock. Also put in a shift defensively towards the end.

The whole team plays like they feel the pressure on their shoulders and know how high the stakes are every time they touch the ball. 

We supposedly have infinite money so really, what do you care what his transfer fee was. He could have cost 2.5 mil and it would be of no difference to us. Just a few more quid going out of a bottomless bank account in the Cayman Islands somewhere.

Obv. he will contribute, he's another player/slot. But he's looked subpar +++ the matches he's played.

My conclusion is that we did it to "hurt" Burnley, end of :P (at least that's the end result)

Edited by thorin

£25m to sink Burnley and give us a centre forward until Wilson returns is money well spent as far as I’m concerned.  Even his presence and positioning - and the fact his goal threat is bigger than Gayle’s - means that lesser opposition are forced to pick him up at least.

Hopefully he’ll get the odd goal between now and Wilson’s return.  But having a proper centre forward makes the side more cohesive.  If people are expecting the lad to be smashing them week in week out otherwise ‘he’s a waste of money’ then we’re on a hiding to nothing

I don't think anyone expected him to smash them in week in, week out. I was expecting his general hold up play to be better & for him to provide a better outlet though. Ball seemed to bounce off him a lot today. Hopefully the extended break will do him the world of good and he & the team can begin to play to his strengths. 

9 minutes ago, Inferior Acuña said:

I reckon his role is definitely significant beyond his goals - we're structured better with him there, similar to the way Rafa liked playing Joselu despite him being little goal threat (at the time).

I mean it is but then acknowledging that would prevent people from shitting their pants.

It’s the same way people flip their lid and want ASM dropped the minute he has an off day, ignoring the fact his presence immediately has teams sitting five yards deeper.

1 minute ago, POOT 2.0 said:

Someone else who can't make a point without it being an insult to other people's opinions. 

So 2 games is too little time to judge Chris Wood the striker. But 2 games is enough time to spew some theory about him not being bought mainly for goals...but more for structure :lol: Goals being something we've seriously lacked.

And people who can't see this are "shitting their pants"? :lol:  

You can understand how having an actual striker who knows how to play that position at this level may mean we’re better set up than not, aye?

He might give us 5% more chance of us winning a game from his aerial threat and the one or two times he holds up the ball and links up the play, as well as his ability occupy 2 CBs. 5% is massive.

It's not always about becoming twice the team over night, it's about edging our likelihood of winning, through every signing.

Trippier might have added 10%, Wood might add 5%, maybe just 3%, but he adds something.