Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

2 hours ago, Thiago said:

Let's whip some good crosses in for him to attack. 

At worst he's our Roque Santa Cruz, at best, he's the New Zealand Air Force.

That's a pretty optimistic worst case :lol: He's nowhere near the player Santa Cruz was.

I don't know how they count these things, but he is down as having won 15 aerial challenges in that game. That's pretty good for someone "anonymous" or "bossed by their CHs".

Wood is coming from Burnley's Orcball and is probably a bad fit for our Plan A style of playing. Wilson is really good with his back to the goal, and far stronger than he looks. As an established squad member, he also knows where the others are likely to be. So its not a crime if Wood can't do that job as well. Maybe it has to be Orcball-lite, but I believe there will be a Plan B for us where Wood will be useful. Refs not blowing up for non-fouls by him would also help.

If you forget the 25m fee, that was a decent enough centre-forward performance yesterday from Wood. Again it allowed ASM to play off him to run at them directly without having to try and beat two or 3 players all the time, it also give Frazer and with it Trippier some space down the right. Yes he was poor in the box, but at least we had someone in there and two chances did fall his way.

Edited by HTT II

7 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

If we stay up we could probably still get £8-12m this time next year when he’s served his purpose here from someone else looking to stay up/go up.

That’s how I see it. He’s decent enough this season as backup for Wilson, he’ll be a benchwarmer next year if we stay up. If we go down he’ll be good in the championship and we’ll look to move him on in 18 months. 

8 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Could Chris Wood be the new Alan Gowling? Off to fish out my rather fletching (and faded) black silk Gowling scarf. 

To make this a bit less of a Sunday morning random brain fart, for those who’ve seen more of him than me, which past player would you most like him to? 

I'll be honest I never noticed him too much other than 2 times when he held the ball up well and looked like an actual target man, but those stats are obviously very encouraging. Hopefully when he gets his first goal his oddly delayed reactions in the box clear up like, it must be a mental thing as several times in the last 2 games he's took like a full second to start moving towards the ball, by which time the centre back is already there :lol:

12 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I'll be honest I never noticed him too much other than 2 times when he held the ball up well and looked like an actual target man, but those stats are obviously very encouraging. Hopefully when he gets his first goal his oddly delayed reactions in the box clear up like, it must be a mental thing as several times in the last 2 games he's took like a full second to start moving towards the ball, by which time the centre back is already there :lol:

Yeah i think he’s off the pace a bit, hopefully he’ll get some sharpness back soon. Certainly not going to write him off after 2 games even if I was underwhelmed by his signing. 

1 minute ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Some random stats thrown about in football these days :lol: “14 pressures”, so he basically ran towards the ball 14 times?

I don’t know what the exact criteria and definition is. But if it is anything like NFL with sacks, pressures and hurries. Then no, it wouldn’t just be ambling towards the ball, Shelvey style :lol: 

Like I guess it must have to result in the player rushing their pass, moving from their spot, not allowing an extra touch or for them to progress in possession etc. Assuming there is some sort of distance before it is measured as a successful pressure? 

@Discoposted some interesting pressing stats up yesterday showing Longstaff being really good at it. Have to say I only noticed it yesterday and first half vs Watford. Wasn’t something I thought he was particularly good at. 

12 hours ago, Cronky said:

It's clear he's not a £25m player. We paid that much because of the situation we are in. 

If he contributes to the difference between staying up and going down, then it's money well spent.

That's about the only way to look at it. You have to hope he'll score a few goals which make a difference somewhere down the line. I'd play Gayle ahead of him tbh if it wasn't for his fitness issues. 

Guest neesy111
4 minutes ago, TRon said:

That's about the only way to look at it. You have to hope he'll score a few goals which make a difference somewhere down the line. I'd play Gayle ahead of him tbh if it wasn't for his fitness issues. 

This, it's more hope than expectation he'll score goals.  He grew into the game, he was anonymous during first 25 mins.  Can't believe how bad his touch is though, there's no excuse for that for a PL striker.

Edited by neesy111

4 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

This, it's more hope than expectation he'll score goals.  Can't believe how bad his touch is, there's no excuse for that.

Honestly think Perez would have held the ball up better than him, and he wasn't a target man. 

1 hour ago, olliemort said:

Granted hes slow as fuck but that was a decent display yesterday, i cant believe the flak hes getting on here, dont care he cost 25million.

The ball just kept bouncing off him, his first touch was really poor

Thought he played alright, held the ball up and brought others into play a couple of times when the ball was played high to him where previously it have come straight back at us. Hopefully develops a better understanding with teammates during the break.

1 minute ago, SAK said:

Thought he played alright, held the ball up and brought others into play a couple of times when the ball was played high to him where previously it have come straight back at us. Hopefully develops a better understanding with teammates during the break.

Did exactly what we need him to, as long as we’re winning it doesn’t matter if he doesn’t score.

2 hours ago, olliemort said:

Granted hes slow as fuck but that was a decent display yesterday, i cant believe the flak hes getting on here, dont care he cost 25million.

Was ok yesterday but he's been brought in to get goals and he's barely had a shot never mind one on target.

13 hours ago, Clockwork Cheese said:

Thought he was utter shite today, offered no threat whatsoever. 

Llorente and Struijk won pretty much everything sent up to him, and can't ever remember him involving himself in any link up with Joe/Willock/ASM. 

Sit down man, Wood literally set a record in winning aerial duels. He’ll be useful until Wilson’s back.