Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

8 hours ago, ToonTastic said:

Under Ashley he'd have scored plenty. Long balls up, basic crosses into the box. Burnley football basically.

I said this the other day but we had a dozen corners with him on the field against Wolves. He got nowhere near any of them. 

I was defending him a lot last season but he continues to play within himself and shows an amazing lack of confidence in front of goal for someone with his goal return from previous years (albeit at a lower level mostly) 

Before we signed him I regarded him purely as a poacher type striker - ineffective and not involved in build up play but clinical in front of goal. Somehow he has turned into the opposite. I'm not even joking - Eddie should convert him to a midfield 'destroyer', back up to Joelinton. Would add more to the team.

6 hours ago, junkhead said:

I was defending him a lot last season but he continues to play within himself and shows an amazing lack of confidence in front of goal for someone with his goal return from previous years (albeit at a lower level mostly) 

Before we signed him I regarded him purely as a poacher type striker - ineffective and not involved in build up play but clinical in front of goal. Somehow he has turned into the opposite. I'm not even joking - Eddie should convert him to a midfield 'destroyer', back up to Joelinton. Would add more to the team.

I just don't think we provide the kind of chances he scores. Dunno as I haven't seen many of his goals [the one he scored against us, for Leeds was canny] but he does look like the most you can expect from him is to pounce on an easy chance. He fit Burnley to a tee really, and his stats show that he performed that role with efficiency. Just not technical enough, or fast enough, physically and mentally, to lead the line in a top team.

• 4 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, BoSelecta said:

Wood playing the last 15 or 20 mins when we’re 2-0 up (if we ever get there) helps keep our starting forwards fit. As funny as it is to bash him, it’s a loss.

It's not tho. 

Shows how quickly self entitlement can kick in tbf. 

I think we need to remember when Woody used to play against us, he was a handful and caused problems for defenders with his strength and his heading ability.

Granted his heading has been deplorable for us, wether that's down to confidence or trying to hard, i don't know, however I do know the lad does have very good heading ability when he's on song.

Give him time and we need to stop the groans if he loses the ball, the lad needs backing and i'm confident he will become a very valuable player.