Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

He's probably never going to be a goalscoring CF again but I cannot see how anyone thought he was horrific like. His role was clearly to come very deep and he did it well. Like last year Howe will know how to use him for the benefit of the team when he needs too.

We obviously could do with another forward etc...

Guest HTT II

He had a decent game yesterday for me, more involved, but he needs to be playing higher up as does the whole team, he flicked on loads but no-one was there and his hold up play while it slowed us down, a few of our players just stood there with zero movement. His heading towards goal is planet soft cut level stuff mind, tame.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not having a go at him but he looks like such a poor fit for an Eddie Howe side. I know we signed him in exceptional circumstances and he did a job for us but it’s so glaring with the ball at his feet how different he is from  the rest of our squad 

Just now, Newcastle Fan said:

Bringing him on was giving up on scoring goals, what's ironic is that Wilson seems so much better than him in making use of our long balls.

Wilson had a tight hammy tbf, it was a forced sub 

Just now, Newcastle Fan said:

Bringing him on was giving up on scoring goals, what's ironic is that Wilson seems so much better than him in making use of our long balls.

Wilson just uses his body so much better and so holds of the defenders.

Wood is nowhere near as good at it. It's why they always played him with Ashley Barnes at Burnley.

Guest reefatoon

Seems to have the amazing knack of looking shattered after 2 minutes. Happy for him to stay if he is a positive influence in the dressing room, but hopefully not as second striker.

3 hours ago, reefatoon said:

Seems to have the amazing knack of looking shattered after 2 minutes. Happy for him to stay if he is a positive influence in the dressing room, but hopefully not as second striker.

I seem to remember that a certain Chris Waddle always seemed to be out of puff after 5 minutes play.....;)

Came sprinting back toward the end when they broke, and sat in between the CB's, and then cleared the ball in, that was decent.

He did OK, unfortunately he is our weakest squad player in the forward areas imo, certainly shouldn't be our back up to Wilson, hopefully that gets rectified this week.

Guest reefatoon
5 hours ago, Jinky said:

I seem to remember that a certain Chris Waddle always seemed to be out of puff after 5 minutes play.....;)

Aye, but he could play and always looked like scoring or creating something. Unfortunately, Wood does neither.

He probably brought in just for defending corners in final minutes. 

Wood is useful when we play against teams that park the bus where we need to rely on high crosses. Games like last night he is close to useless - he simply couldn’t coup with the pace. 

For the record I still think he was a good bad buy. He played an important role and when we bought him we never knew we'd go on that run and it could well have cone down the game against Burnley.

All that being said. By God he looks useless! It's not that he can't do the things we never expected him to do, e.g. break the line with a burst of pace. It's that he seems toilet at doing the things we thought he could, his knockdowns are shocking and his headers always seem powder puff and straight at the keeper.

I can only hope we sell him for 5-10 million in January to the 2022/23 equivalent of us last season.

Edited by Geordie_once_removed

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Wood actually has a great record against Wolves.

shit he was quite good versus then at home - that penalty made me well up too! God the emotions of last season!

Guest HTT II

I thought he was poor when he come on against City mind, he won a header at one point which he directed to nowhere really which no-one from our team or theirs picked up so he tried getting to it, but was painfully slow and failed to get to it.

2 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I thought he was poor when he come on against City mind, he won a header at one point which he directed to nowhere really which no-one from our team or theirs picked up so he tried getting to it, but was painfully slow and failed to get to it.

I remember this one well, he headed it forward when it was clear as day there was nobody there, had to just laugh [emoji38]

Edit, no I'm talking about another useless header actually, there's so much choice [emoji38]

Edited by Sean