Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

41 minutes ago, Sean said:

He didn't even do that - it was a wind-up post I believe :lol:

Having to watch him attempt to play football is making me hate him irrationally (actually it's not irrational as he is just so awful at everything an attacker should be good at). I wish any fucker would take him off our hands.

Ah ffs. Thought he did. I've been giving him that as a let off for months. :lol:

He's clearly not good enough, but a lot of the problem is we don't play the kind of football he needs to be effective.

He needs high balls slung into the box that he can attack and we just don't play that way.

I'm not suggesting he'd be a good player if we did that, and I'm certainly not suggesting we should change our style of play to accommodate him. I'm just saying we're not exactly giving him a chance to shine when we play needing a mobile forward who can play on the deck and he's a big target man who relishes high balls.

18 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

He's clearly not good enough, but a lot of the problem is we don't play the kind of football he needs to be effective.

He needs high balls slung into the box that he can attack and we just don't play that way.

I'm not suggesting he'd be a good player if we did that, and I'm certainly not suggesting we should change our style of play to accommodate him. I'm just saying we're not exactly giving him a chance to shine when we play needing a mobile forward who can play on the deck and he's a big target man who relishes high balls.

We’ve never played to his strengths since he came , let’s face it he’s now 3rd choice and done his job last season. He is what he is , I’ve yet to work out what that is [emoji38]. He’s a good honest lad I don’t mind for the cups . 

Just now, GWN said:

We’ve never played to his strengths since he came , let’s face it he’s now 3rd choice and done his job last season. He is what he is , I’ve yet to work out what that is [emoji38]. He’s a good honest lad I don’t mind for the cups . 

This

Don’t think he was especially bad today, didn’t really notice him. I think we put in one decent cross while he was on and the defender nearly scored an OG. 

Just need to ride out the rest of his contract and wave him off into the sunset. 

1 minute ago, Ronaldo said:

We must have had more than 10 corners today with him on the pitch. He might as well have been on knees for all of them. Useless. 

What does he do, take the corners then run into the box to head them? 

Fuck off man, divvy

4 minutes ago, GWN said:

Don’t you want a cup run then?

21 minutes ago, NE27 said:

Is Chris wood a target man? Thought he wasn't that great in the air?

He's been pretty bad at hold up play for us so far[emoji38]

I just watched a YouTube video titled something like "Chris wood 50 goals for Burnley" for research, and (only watching half arsed) I think there were 18 headed goals and 6 penalties, meaning 26 non-headed open play goals?

So a very decent percentage headers, and of the rest a great number we're knock downs from other headers, or balls that broke loose after being pumped into the box.

That said, he doesn't look as mobile with us. Maybe there's a combination of factors but he's being asked to play differently and it's clearly not to his strengths.

Edited by Chris_R

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

:lol: Presumably been supporting Newcastle since January then.

I'm serious. I can remember back to the heady days of the 80s when we spent £100k on Albert Craig thinking it was a lot of money.....

1 hour ago, Dokko said:

At this point i'd give him back to Burnley if they'd pay his wages. Shocking panic buy. Hopefully lessons learned for the new regime.

I don't think it's any great secret that he was a panic buy, I think people are forgetting how dire our situation was in January. I think they're also forgetting that we improved dramatically with him in the side and started winning games.

Yes, he's not very good and we need someone better, but some of the bed-wetting has been ridiculous.

Just looks so disinterested and almost as if he's sulking most of the time. Harsh reality is it's like playing with 10 men when he's on the pitch. Isak will probably look like Usain Bolt compared to him.

13 minutes ago, Beth said:

I'm serious. I can remember back to the heady days of the 80s when we spent £100k on Albert Craig thinking it was a lot of money.....

Been supporting Newcastle since '91 and I could easily pick 20 worse signings than Chris Wood.

He grafts, which should be the bare minimum, but can't be said about the players who contributed nothing and didn't attempt to.

He was used to playing as 1 of 2 battering rams at Burnley and was effective. He came here when we couldn't get anyone else and without him we may not have survived. It was looking close between us and Burnley for who went down and him coming here pretty much settled that. He's done his job, been well paid no doubt and will spend the rest of days as a squad player or maybe move on.

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Been supporting Newcastle since '91 and I could easily pick 20 worse signings than Chris Wood.

He grafts, which should be the bare minimum, but can't be said about the players who contributed nothing and didn't attempt to.

Twenty worse players yes, easily, but 20 worse for the money spent on them? I can barely think of one, bar Joe before he had his renaisance last season. Maybe we should put Wood at CB and see what happens?