Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

40 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

He’s a one in three striker, a goal against Everton next and we’re getting what we paid for.

I'm glad you put that out there, otherwise I was wondering, like others, could we have saved £25m and just kept Carroll on? He's just as good in the air, and has better hold up play. 

1 hour ago, oldtype said:

We supposedly have infinite money so really, what do you care what his transfer fee was. He could have cost 2.5 mil and it would be of no difference to us. Just a few more quid going out of a bottomless bank account in the Cayman Islands somewhere.

With financial fair play you can't just write off money in the same way anymore - so this isn't entirely true.

Everton have loads of money too but basically haven't been able to spend this season without shifting players first because of FFP.

We have a lot of leeway because of past frugality and we needed a forward in our situation - but that doesn't mean you can't judge the fee.

Edited by ponsaelius

5 minutes ago, TRon said:

I'm glad you put that out there, otherwise I was wondering, like others, could we have saved £25m and just kept Carroll on? He's just as good in the air, and has better hold up play. 

We’d have got maybe 300 minutes max in 18 games if we were lucky. 

5 minutes ago, TRon said:

Yup. I don’t get it trying to make it out like he’s a positive as he gives us “shape” by being an actual striker.

By that logic we could have purchased any big bulky striker and they’d have had the same impact as Wood for £25m.

I’m hoping he comes good as I do with all of our signings but I’ve seen nothing from him so far to suggest he will.

6 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Yup. I don’t get it trying to make it out like he’s a positive as he gives us “shape” by being an actual striker.

By that logic we could have purchased any big bulky striker and they’d have had the same impact as Wood for £25m.

I’m hoping he comes good as I do with all of our signings but I’ve seen nothing from him so far to suggest he will.

As Nut pointed out though, we bought Wood for goals, and he does have a decent record. I just hope he's still got some juice left, he looks really lethargic. 

Don't care what his stats say. 

He's never challenging Wilson for his place. Wilson's fit, Wilson plays. 

He's not sharp enough when chances come up, with Frasers ball today and the backpass last week. 

Like, he's doing something by just being up front, but not sure it's something it had to be him we bought for. 

Oh well. Hopefully he scores next game and proves me wrong. 

His scoring record in the division is highly comparable to Wilson. I think he'll end up being useful but he's got to learn his teammates and vice versa. Judging by his goals, off the ball movement is a big part of his game and he'll have to build up relationships to get the quantity of service needed.

He won't be a world beater but will be very useful at certain points, imo.

1 minute ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

His scoring record in the division is highly comparable to Wilson. I think he'll end up being useful but he's got to learn his teammates and vice versa. Judging by his goals, off the ball movement is a big part of his game and he'll have to build up relationships to get the quantity of service needed.

He won't be a world beater but will be very useful at certain points, imo.

Good points made there.

he's not great.

whern wilson's back, wood will be a decent sub to bring on if we are chasing a game and want to go more direct - or even if we want to protect our lead and use his height to defend ste plays.

ASM had more space today as Leeds needed to pay attention to this guy too.

i dont care what he cost - we just need to stay up . 

need to get a few crosses in to him like. dont thinks any corners or set pieces have gone near him.

Edited by huss9

29 minutes ago, xLiaaamx said:

Don't care what his stats say. 

He's never challenging Wilson for his place. Wilson's fit, Wilson plays. 

He's not sharp enough when chances come up, with Frasers ball today and the backpass last week. 

Like, he's doing something by just being up front, but not sure it's something it had to be him we bought for. 

Oh well. Hopefully he scores next game and proves me wrong. 

Howe likes to play with 2 up top

2 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

It’s ridiculous to say he didn’t win any balls in the air though, he very clearly did. 

Aye, he defiantly one headers and offered the classic Chris Wood presence up front - competing and jumping for anything coming down from the sky - but I did notice Leeds' centre backs still getting there ahead of him on a quite a few occasions. He far from bullied them, or dominated aerially. Rarely noticed anything coming from he did win or get anything on; just scraps falling here and there. 

We obviously play a bit more direct to him because he is 'Chris Wood'. There is clearly a pattern of play involving Trippier playing up to him, with Fraser running off I've spotted against Watford and today - but based on these two showings he's worse than Wilson when it comes to actually playing as a target-man. Whilst he may be taller, Wilson uses his size far better coupled with being technically streets ahead.