Parker not for Sale

Dokko

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/sport.html?in_article_id=424806&in_page_id=1771

Parker not for sale - Roeder

Last updated at 12:32pm on 26th December 2006

Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder has warned Premiership clubs not to try to lure skipper Scott Parker from St James' Park.

The 26-year-old England international, who scored the Magpies third goal in the 3-1 win over Tottenham on Saturday, is the subject of speculation that he could be involved in a swap for West Ham's Nigel Reo-Coker. However, Roeder has insisted the £6.5million signing is going nowhere.

He said: "This talk looks as though it is coming out of East London and it is an attempt to unsettle Scott. This makes me angry, but when I read that stuff on Sunday morning, I took it as being nothing more than a joke."

He added: "I did not make Scott Parker my captain to succeed Alan Shearer as the leader of this club to sell him.

"I can see Scott Parker being captain of Newcastle for many years to come."

Roeder and chairman Freddy Shepherd have drawn up their wish-list for the January transfer window, and while they have admitted their interest in Southampton full-back Gareth Bale and Derby midfielder Giles Barnes, they have been more guarded about their interest in Liverpool striker Peter Crouch.

However, Roeder has dismissed claims that Lyon's Norwegian international striker John Carew is a target.

He said: "One of my best friends in football management is Gerard Houllier at Lyon and if I was interested in signing John Carew, he would have been the first one I would have talked to.

"Well, I have not talked to Gerard because I am not interested in Carew."

Roeder has been scouring Europe for reinforcements and is looking to bring in three or four new faces with defenders and a striker his priorities.

I'd sell him for £6.5m & Coker, but nothing less.

We should be looking to make money on Parker if we do sell him, Coker, can only be worth £3m in his situation and talent.

Shame about Carew, heard a loan deal could of been on the cards, would of suited us, especially along side Martins.

Was obvious Roeder wouldn't get rid of Parker, as said he made him his captain, hardly likely to get rid.

Still think we could get Baines for around the same price we would Bale and it would be a much safer option. Quite interested in this Barnes fella though, seems very highly rated, can play up top and has height.

Guest optimistic nit

""One of my best friends in football management is Gerard Houllier at Lyon and if I was interested in signing John Carew, he would have been the first one I would have talked to.""

so who would he have gone too first if he wasn't friends with houllier?

It would take a massive offer before we would sell him, and I don't see any club making a massive offer for him. If we do lose a midfielder I think it would be Emre.

Hope so.

£7-8m to Bayern when Hargreaves move, will do nicely.

It would take a massive offer before we would sell him, and I don't see any club making a massive offer for him. If we do lose a midfielder I think it would be Emre.

Hope so.

IF we could get Diop, then yes its a deal I would take.  :thup:

Hope so.

IF we could get Diop, then yes its a deal I would take.  :thup:

Sell Parker & Emre, part ex Butt for Diop and buy a true attacking mid who is a copy of Dyer, only reliable in terms of injury and were laughing.

Parker & Emre are worth more money than what we paid for them, which is a bloody 1st for NUFC, but the ironic thing is, both hold the club back when playing together, some would say even without each other they do so.

Get rid of both, i'd be happy.

We could get Sidwell for less than half £8m and then spend the leftover on defence/attack.

Sidwell is on a free in the Summer.

Surely worth a pop?

i thought he signed a new contract

i know they want him to and were talking about it but I thought he was still keeping his options open?

We could get Sidwell for less than half £8m and then spend the leftover on defence/attack.

Sidwell is on a free in the Summer.

Surely worth a pop?

i thought he signed a new contract

I could have missed it I guess.

"He only has a year left on his contract and could leave for free in June 2007 if he rejects a contract extension."

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Sidwell

Can't find anything on BBC related to a contract extenson either.

Only midfielder we need to buy, is a replacement for Butt in the summer. :thup:

Though i would really like to see Giles Barnes here, simply because he is so versatile and would be a cracking squad player at the very least.

And i'm with Jon... would rather have Baines than Bale. Besides, every man and his dog is after Bale.

Guest Knightrider

I don't see the fascination with NRC of West Ham, good player but not what we need and not in Parker's class. Parker is a good player, he's never going to be world-class, but he's good enough, its finding the right balance with him and the middle of the park that will determine whether we get the best out of him or not. I don't think Emre is that player and asking Parker to be the all-action player isn't an answer either. He's either a defensive anchorman or an attacking midfielder, not both (Glenn). I'd personally play him strictly as a DCM as he is better at that than in an attacking role.

I'd like to see Parker sitting protecting the back-four and playing those simple balls to those who can use it better like he did last season (he was brilliant last season). He's got a great engine, terrific work-rate, is good in the tackle and very brave, he is also one of the best exponents of pressing I've seen in a midfielder.

Its good that he's adding goals and assists to his game though, that's a bonus.

I don't see the fascination with NRC of West Ham, good player but not what we need and not in Parker's class. Parker is a good player, he's never going to be world-class, but he's good enough, its finding the right balance with him and the middle of the park that will determine whether we get the best out of him or not. I don't think Emre is that player and asking Parker to be the all-action player isn't an answer either. He's either a defensive anchorman or an attacking midfielder, not both (Glenn). I'd personally play him strictly as a DCM as he is better at that than in an attacking role.

I'd like to see Parker sitting protecting the back-four and playing those simple balls to those who can use it better like he did last season (he was brilliant last season). He's got a great engine, terrific work-rate, is good in the tackle and very brave, he is also one of the best exponents of pressing I've seen in a midfielder.

He is shit at protecting the back four, as Butt has proved.

He's not fast enough to be an attacking mid, so he's an all rounder, jack of all trades, master of none.

He's not fast enough to be an attacking mid, so he's an all rounder, jack of all trades, master of none.

Dont agree with that at all! Parker was superb last season as a defensive mid, if he was told that that is his position we'd get much more out of him as last season showed.

I do think Parkers biggest problem is he isn't being given a defined role to play in the team and when he and Emre are put in the team together they are told to swap roles which helps neither!

Parker seems to have a natural instinct to help out in defence and battle to break down attacks so I think he would be better to be put in a strictly defence minded position (ala Makelele) and with his ability to strike from long range this wouldn't stop him from contributing a goal or 2.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

with his ability to strike from long range

and what is that exactly? He's fucking shit at long range shooting :lol: I like parker but he can't shoot for shit

and what is that exactly? He's fucking shit at long range shooting :lol: I like parker but he can't shoot for shit

Aye never scored from long range in his life  :roll:

Guest Knightrider

We are still conceding goals with Butt protecting the back-four...

BTW our goals against often come from down the flanks/crosses into the box, areas a DCM isn't going to impact. Parker is very good at protecting the back four, or rather breaking up play, pressing and getting stuck in.

Butt has been very good of late but I can't help think many are getting carried away by things. He's playing good based on the shit we saw of him when he joined which is hardly a good barometer is it. Shit to better than shit isn't shit to great.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Aye never scored from long range in his life :roll:

actually that's wrong; he's scored from long range 3 times in his career, obviously a huge talent at long range shooting

Aye never scored from long range in his life :roll:

actually that's wrong; he's scored from long range 3 times in his career, obviously a huge talent at long range shooting

i wasnt claiming he will score 10 goals a season but he has the ability to hit a good shot from long range and that would be a good attribute for a defensive midfielder to have. Never clamed him to be Steven Gerrard!  :roll: