Newcastle United 1 - 1 Watford (15/01/2022)

LRD

5 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Hard to say really, Bruce is dog shit but we stayed up Fairly comfortably under him. I don’t think it’s unrealistic to expect this team to stay up 

Fairly comfortable only at the end. Just seemed that he was always relying on some bizarre purple patch.

I love Rafa to bits, but I wasn't exactly 100% convinced that we were staying up in January of 2018. Most on here weren't either, with a fair few calling for his head. It was a horrendous stretch of 11 games, and we were in serious shit.

Just seems to me that it was only a matter of time until this shower of shit went down again. Howe in the end may not be good enough. These players sure as shit aren't now, even if some were just a few years ago. It's such a poorly constructed squad.

I know it's a different sport, but seeing how the Warriors went out and brought in pieces that perfectly fit the style is night and day compared to this fucking jester's suit of a team.

Edited by Vinny Green Balls

Just now, Away Toon said:

They do and it's on Howe that he's trying to get them to play in a way that they can't. We can only play counter attack with the players we have, Rafa knew it Bruce knew it, but Eddie I want to play nice possession football Howe doesn't. He's going to get us relegated. I personally hated watching Rafa's anti football but it worked and if he was in charge now we would stay up.

Bruce knew it :lol:

He spent two years telling us he couldn’t change the way the players played 

I think there's a number of factors have played a part:

There's a blatant lack of confidence in the side 

A number of players have regressed due to poor coaching 

Howe is trying to play a brand of football these players aren't capable of. We've been sitting back countering for over five years

Other sides have improved while we've stood still 

Edited by The Prophet

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

First match in about ten years, absolutely loved being there, Trippier and Joelinton outstanding, Dummett solid, rest aren’t good enough. Lascelles was a disgrace

Joelinton was indeed very good again, but I wish chances would stop falling his way like :lol:

2 minutes ago, Away Toon said:

They do and it's on Howe that he's trying to get them to play in a way that they can't. We can only play counter attack with the players we have, Rafa knew it Bruce knew it, but Eddie I want to play nice possession football Howe doesn't. He's going to get us relegated. I personally hated watching Rafa's anti football but it worked and if he was in charge now we would stay up.

The onus was on PIF to have had a better thought out plan about the ability of the squad and what kind of manager was needed to get results with said squad.

Or in the instance they did bring in someone like Howe to change things then they needed to have a plan in place to get him the players he needed ASAP in January.

Unfortunately, PIF have made a mess of things on both fronts, and they're going to have to live with the results. I think Amanda and Mehrdad could end up in trouble, as I remember reading somewhere they were apparently on a trial period with managing the club for PIF? They might have to give up those responsibilities come the end of the season if they don't figure things out quickly. 

8 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

Bruce knew it :lol:

He spent two years telling us he couldn’t change the way the players played 

Yeah, except he was culpable because he was only holding training 3 days a week and pissing off on holiday every chance he got.

Lads, this season aside, we’ve got a lot to be happy about. We may go down but barring any PL shenanigans we’ll be straight back up and in a much better position. The future is bright even though it doesn’t look like it right now.

Howe likely isn’t the man for the long term but I can’t get my head round blaming him for all this. Relegation is not on him, not after 3 months.  It just isn’t. 

We all want the same thing ultimately and even if I disagree with you I’m not gonna fall out with my brethren. 

Let’s see what the window brings and hopefully we’ll add some more quality. May be too late, may not be. But next season is another season and it’s one where we won’t be owned by someone who doesn’t care about the club but by people who want us to be successful. In the words of Rafa, that’s it. 

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

The onus was on PIF to have had a better thought out plan about the ability of the squad and what kind of manager was needed to get results with said squad.

Or in the instance they did bring in someone like Howe to change things then they needed to have a plan in place to get him the players he needed ASAP in January.

Unfortunately, PIF have made a mess of things on both fronts, and they're going to have to live with the results. I think Amanda and Mehrdad could end up in trouble, as I remember reading somewhere they were apparently on a trial period with managing the club for PIF? They might have to give up those responsibilities come the end of the season if they don't figure things out quickly. 

Figure things out? Everyone knows the issue. The shite squad of players we have, in the past 6 months it's the constant as its the only thing that hasn't changed. We need 5 players at a minimum. 2 cbs 2cms and a RW and probably a St as well to make it 6. Pif can spend money but coming in half way through a season who was ever going to be able to change it round the amount that was needed. We have no pace in cm shelvey is fucked but can at least see a pass but longstaff is a fuckin donkey and without at least 1 cm with a bit of pace we are fucked. 

3 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Yeah, except he was culpable because he was only holding training 3 days a week and pissing off on holiday every chance he got.

Thanks for reminding us. It needed to be said. 

I understand why people are upset and ranging around looking for persons to blame. I do think the fundamental truth is that the years of chronic underinvestment have came back to bite us on the arse at the worst possible time, and trying to judge either the new ownership or management team on this season is mad. One or both might turn out to be shit but what’s happening right now has very little to do with them and a lot to do with what came immediately before.

2 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I think for the situation we were in we needed a simplistic manager who was going to motivate and play grim football. As much as that isn’t palatable; it is the way sometimes 

Big Sam couldn't save this lot, if that's the style you are referring to

4 minutes ago, Gazzaschicken said:

Figure things out? Everyone knows the issue. The shite squad of players we have, in the past 6 months it's the constant as its the only thing that hasn't changed. We need 5 players at a minimum. 2 cbs 2cms and a RW and probably a St as well to make it 6. Pif can spend money but coming in half way through a season who was ever going to be able to change it round the amount that was needed. We have no pace in cm shelvey is fucked but can at least see a pass but longstaff is a fuckin donkey and without at least 1 cm with a bit of pace we are fucked. 

Figure things out as far as getting the players signed by the middle of next week, because they've already dropped the ball.

Edited by KaKa

1 minute ago, christ said:

I understand why people are upset and ranging around looking for persons to blame. I do think the fundamental truth is that the years of chronic underinvestment have came back to bite us on the arse at the worst possible time, and trying to judge either the new ownership or management team on this season is mad. One or both might turn out to be shit but what’s happening right now has very little to do with them and a lot to do with what came immediately before.

Totally our past 2 relegations came in the exact same kind of way, under invest until you are relegated then rebuild. And this is the season where we go down. As bad as it is its probably for the best if we cam bounce back

In a fixture of this magnitude against an opponent in such appalling form, one shot on target (from an individual Watford error, followed by some Saint Maxi magic) is obviously beyond poor. In fact, we’ve probably got Sissoko to thank for a point - how he failed to at least hit the target from that gilt-edged chance is beyond me (in the EPL, that would surely end up in the back of the net 7 or more times out of 10).

Especially seeing that it’s only mid-January, there’s such dross around us, and we’re highly active in the transfer market, I for one will not be raising the relegation white flag at this point … or indeed anytime soon. However, to turn this sinking ship around, imo we need at least one quality centre back, another striker, and especially some central midfield reinforcements (probably 2 complementary players - one to drive the attack and the other to protect the defence). Atm, and despite Big Joe’s best and much improved efforts, it seems that we have very little steel, guile, or creativity in central midfield. In turn, this makes both our defence and attack look even worse than they are. If Shelvey and Longstaff are the answer, it’s a seriously weird question as far as I’m concerned.

5 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I think for the situation we were in we needed a simplistic manager who was going to motivate and play grim football. As much as that isn’t palatable; it is the way sometimes 

Absolutely agree and it’s easy to say in hindsight but a pragmatic appointment keeps us up.

Such a shame that the Emery deal was torpedoed

Even Dean Smith would have been a better appointment as I think he could have got more out of this dressing room.

2 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I’m not in charge of finding managers but Nuno/Lage at wolves both play pretty dreary football but it works.  Lampard for the fact it likely gives us a quick lift. I think Eddie Howe is a good manager but not for this particular situation. 

Emery would have worked imo 

This team doesn’t get lifts. They’re dross. 

Absolute disaster of a result yet again but it could have been worse. 

The players are scared, they over think absolutely everything and now we are tuned into switching off and conceding late as a habit. The first half was horrific, we were managed by watford and any chance of a break we are overthinking and spending top much time on the ball. Inevitably going back or missing the opportunity. We are looking worse and more clueless in attack with every game now.

21 points dropped from winning positions this year is inexcusable. It's a team that is getting relegated. Pay Lille and sevilla what they want. I don't want to see lascelles play again. Seething. (I had to watch on a delay so haven't had time to think rationally yet)