Newcastle United 1 - 1 Watford (15/01/2022)

LRD

Just now, Jordan said:

This team doesn’t get lifts. They’re dross. 

Us hiring a manager to ‘give us a lift’ would’ve been a total disaster. We’re not a fundamentally decent team that have lost our way a bit and need a kick up the arse like Villa. We’re shit. The only time the core of this squad has looked good for any length of time is when it was drilled to within an inch of its life.

If a Lampard or a Gerrard had landed here they’d never get another job in football.

1 minute ago, ManDoon said:

I get what you mean but managers have lifted teams with much worse squads than ours. 

Howe couldn’t lift them, new owners couldn’t lift them and we have the best atmosphere in the country at the moment at SJP and that can’t even give them a boost. They’ve had 5 years of being told they weren’t good enough under Rafa to 2 years of backs to the wall anti football under Bruce. The teams shot to bits, nothings reviving them and we need a full clear out if they somehow manage to keep us up. 

Its the hope that kills us, devastated after that result as really thought we would win today and push on with some results and transfers. We arent actually much worse of today than we were yesterday but could have been much better. Should really resign to relegation but I'm sure by Monday and more transfer speculation I'll begin again. 

2 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I get what you mean but managers have lifted teams with much worse squads than ours. 

Frankly I think it's more about the fit. As I said, this team is poorly constructed. Back to my Warriors comparison, pundits were flipping out that they didn't trade their draft picks for a star. Instead, they picked up extremely shrewd players who fit in with Kerr's style. It is an extremely well constructed team, with each player buying 100% into Kerr's philosophy. This squad looks like a patched up jester's suit.

When a player like Trippier is available you probably have to go get him but I almost don't think he should be counted as a major signing in the context of staying up because right back wasn't that much of a problem area compared to most of the rest of the pitch and there's only so much a full back can do in a bad team anyway.

Still need a CB, at least one CM and some kind of winger/forward.

Just now, ManDoon said:

Yeah I think that’s been my theory. I very much like Howe, very erudite guy, clearly studies the game and knows his shit. But with this bunch of jokers you reallt have to simplify the game to the basics as I don’t think they can handle anything else. Howe is very idealistic and I love that tbh, but it’s the wrong time l. Imo 

Sort of agree with you even though I don't want to say it. Horses for courses man, it's wisdom down the ages. 

Strange game that perfectly encapsulated our season.

It felt like we were in control for about 80 minutes of that match, even though we weren't brilliant (first half was pretty positive, imo) - Watford had a spell mid second half after some daft unforced errors but that seemed to level out until they pushed on again last 5 mins.

I can see what we're trying to do with pressing and building play, and we play some half decent stuff at times, but the lack of quality in the final third is telling. So many bad passes, poor touches, tepid crosses. Combine that with lapses in defensive concentration and crapping ourselves with dodgy play out from the back and you get a bad mix.

We have a very impotent squad. I don't think any manager fixes the current situation without more players in.

Too much utter shite in the team , scared shitless and Watford deserved their point .

We need to stop fucking around and sort the rest of the spine out with quality, pay the fucking money and get the cunt done .

2 minutes ago, Alan Pardew said:

Apart from the goal that second half was just as bad as under Bruce if not even worse. Spineless cunts.

Which makes me think the years under Bruce coupled with no major investment is what is killing us. 

New lads aside, are any of these lads genuinely challenged for their spot? Have they ever felt under threat? Even now they don't if we're honest because they can't replace eleven in one month. 

Isaac Hayden was very revealing when he said 'you can't just swap players out, this isn't FIFA'. A lot of them are driftwood. 

1 hour ago, 54 said:

Thats so devastating, we didn't deserve that, story of our season really, dominated the game and they did fuck all. 

Hate to kick a man when he’s down, but I’d argue that you dominating the oppo and them doing fuck all is very much not the story of your season.

I still think you’re reasonably placed to stay up. It’s three from the bottom four plus Leeds and Brentford IMO. You’ve still got over two weeks to spend a wodge of cash and like a few people have said, you’ve been close to winning games on a few occasions. The margins are still tight enough that the likely three or four new players could tip the balance.

What a difference 6 mins can make. If we’d have dealt with that cross everyone would have been saying it was a hard earned victory. Fine margins. Genuinely think we were the better team but the edginess in defence cost us and made us sit back. Lascelles’ error started the process of the game getting nervier. I don’t think it was a conscious game plan to sit back at all.

Edited by Shadow Puppets

2 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

What a difference 6 mins can make. If we’d have dealt with that cross everyone would have been saying it was a hard earned victory. Fine margins. Genuinely think we were the better team but the edginess in defence cost us and made us sit back. Lascelles’ error started the process of the game getting nervier. I don’t think it was a conscious game plan to sit back at all.

One shot on target - against Watford :facepalm:

59 minutes ago, Caleb70 said:

Got nowt better to dee like?

Should have. Just so damn annoying to watch people get a negative attitude just because we dont transform into a good team the first game after the transfer window opened. Its gonna take some time after Ashleys shitshow, be a little patient. 

Just now, duo said:

One shot on target - against Watford :facepalm:

Yeah…your point being?

One shot on target, one off the bar, another couple of good chances first half. Generally dominated possession for the first 60 minutes.

Sloppy mistakes at the back (Lascelles primarily) led to it becoming edgier and allowed them back into the game.

Guest reefatoon

I think the worrying thing about the game was, if Watford had scored 10 minutes earlier then we would have lost. We can’t keep teams out and once the heads go down we look fucked.

Well that's it then, we have fucked it. We are terrible, no amount of money can paper over this turd of a football team unfortunately. Get rid of the whole squad and start again from scratch in the Championship.

1 minute ago, reefatoon said:

I think the worrying thing about the game was, if Watford had scored 10 minutes earlier then we would have lost. We can’t keep teams out and once the heads go down we look fucked.

It’s spineless and it’s gone on too long. 

8 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

If you look at the numbers, we had 52% posession, so hardly dominated. We also had less total shots 12- 18 and less shots on target 1-5. That’s not good enough. 

First half was great, second they managed to just silence everything, and some blame for that has to go to Howe. Horrible errors from the so-called captain as well. The late subs even though you could clearly see who was knackered. As much as the players are to blame, a manager is payed to see these things and react to it. And if we are going to play with a big man, might want to have wingers that can spot an early cross, cause if not he will be as effective as a wet tissue. What he offered Burnley before this gash season was that he was often in the correct space. But today he got no service, he did nothing of note due to him not being a holdup player and play people in.

Managing one shot on goal against this dreadful Watford team is an achievement in itself. And Leeds will decimate this team with no issue if we still opt to use Shelvey, Longstaff and Lacelles. And Wood will be dispatched cause he wont get any service and not bring anything else with him.

Edited by worthy