Newcastle United 1 - 1 Watford (15/01/2022)

LRD

I honestly think the players deserve some

of the blame for dropping off. Obviously the buck stops with the coaching staff and they should be able to instruct the team how to play to counter what the the opposition are doing and to manage the situation. But the minute Watford started pushing out and committing men forward. The unforced errors started, we got nervy, the crowd got nervy and we just looked shaky from 1 to 11. 

The team just looks bereft of any confidence or self-belief. They are just so fragile and so used to playing not to lose (and usually losing, anyway). 

The shape went to shit, which was probably the most worrying thing. As that is something you think the coaching staff would have been drilling into them. But apparently not. 

What annoys me the most is this squad seem intent on bringing the whole club down to their shit level.    1st transfer window in 14 years where we are trying to bring in better players, and this fucking bunch of losers lose to Cambridge and then can't beat a Watford side that had lost 5 on the bounce.

So now any potential signings will look at this club and think position is a lost cause.

I go to the games to support NUFC and will continue to do so, but when you wankers come on at the end and clap the fans, you won't get any encouragement back from me - you can all leave and the sooner the better! (Trippier and Wood excluded as new players)

9 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Fraser is weird. His off the ball stuff is top notch - movement, pressing, tracking back.

On the ball, he doesn't seem to be able to beat anyone and his crossing is often very meh.

Like a high octane Damian Duff.

He is probably our best player for pressing the ball. He’s mobile, without being quick. Gets up and down all game and doesn’t hide. Has a great ability to win cheap free kicks, too. 

All that said, as an attacking threat. He has been a huge letdown since signing. Whips the odd good cross in. But never really looks to get at his man and to the line, or work an opening for a shot. We have too many players like this. No craft or guile whatsoever in this squad. 

11 minutes ago, 54 said:

Was going to say myself, thought he did an alright job today, and he had a decent relationship with Trippier.

I'm not saying he had a bad game BTW, just he's nowhere near good enough. What did you the no he done well? I can't remember him beating his man or many crosses to be honest .

As I sit on a train with an extra couple of Carlsberg tins I really don't need let's try and put my thoughts in to words.. All in all this game felt like the age-old adage of fine margins.

Referee decisions felt like they piled up again which is always infuriating.

Big Jo did what I think any self respecting fan would expect of him these days. This man used to be a forward!?

Trippier a class above everyone. Poor bloke must wonder what he's wandered in to.

I understand the screaming for CMs but I still think CBs are the priority. Lascelles is just not up to it and Schar is there as as he's a ball player, not a defender. And that shows. Fucking hell every time they were behind today it felt like it was because of Lascelles. Apart from..

Dummett. He can head a ball but by fuck he can not keep up with a winger. Didn't he start as a CB? It fucking shows almost a decade later.

In spite of the grumpy old fuck next to me I liked the look of Wood. The idea of being annoyed at him for his flick ons not being capitalised on by a team mate was driving me fucking mad. :lol: 'He's a fit Andy Carroll'. Fuck off you drip. 

1 minute ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Indefensible at home against this shower of shite tbh. Why was that Man Utd game an anomaly ffs, we've literally added one massive upgrade to that side.

Tbf Man U (even in their current 'shit' state) and Watford are two entirely different entities. People (somewhat fairly) saying we sat too far back at 1-0 today would've been more than content at us doing the same against Man U. 

Still bitterly disappointed. Like Cambridge, we dominated the first half, but like that game, we didn't produce anything clear cut. So we go into half time, not a bad job so far, get a goal and maybe we can kick on. Instead, we get the goal and fall back. I can't believe how nervous everyone looked, especially the blokes at the back. Giving it away, heading it into orbit, losing their runners, the list goes on. And I'm just sick of it. Before October I didn't give a fuck, now I do and it sucks. We have run out of chances for me, this was the ideal opportunity to grab the win we needed to kick off our recovery. And we blew it. Unless we sign another 5 players (CM/CB X2/LB/FWD) then I simply cannot see how we get out of this mess.

23 minutes ago, SiLvOR said:

Still bitterly disappointed. Like Cambridge, we dominated the first half, but like that game, we didn't produce anything clear cut. So we go into half time, not a bad job so far, get a goal and maybe we can kick on. Instead, we get the goal and fall back. I can't believe how nervous everyone looked, especially the blokes at the back. Giving it away, heading it into orbit, losing their runners, the list goes on. And I'm just sick of it. Before October I didn't give a fuck, now I do and it sucks. We have run out of chances for me, this was the ideal opportunity to grab the win we needed to kick off our recovery. And we blew it. Unless we sign another 5 players (CM/CB X2/LB/FWD) then I simply cannot see how we get out of this mess.

Shelvey was the worst for me. Everytime he got the ball after we scored he sprayed one of those shit hollywood passes straight back to them. 

1 hour ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Indefensible at home against this shower of shite tbh. Why was that Man Utd game an anomaly ffs, we've literally added one massive upgrade to that side.

My guess is shop window mentality. Most of the team know they're shite and they're playing for contracts elsewhere, leaving us to pick up the pieces like the 2009 team did.

Have all of you others really seen Lascelles as this big ass reliability (like todays showing) forever?

I'm amazed at how some of these players seems to be dropping off in the games that actually matters...

I wasn't at the stadium today, but I'm thinking we woulda solved our BOTMAN problem if people just started going BOTMAN BOTMAN BOTMAN at 4 mins (jersey number) - lol.

Edited by thorin

9 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Remember our players used to do it a lot. Turn up for TV games, in the sissoko era for sure. 

Yeah, but we're like way beyond that now, only Lascelles / Dummett left from that era?

28 minutes ago, Carlito said:

My guess is shop window mentality. Most of the team know they're shite and they're playing for contracts elsewhere, leaving us to pick up the pieces like the 2009 team did.

Think it's also 1) that was a low pressure game in the sense there was no 'must win' feel, it was much less tense, because we were playing an obviously better team and 2) relatedly ManU did not sit back, allowing us to counter, and we're shit trying to open up a team that sits and defends.

Edited by Inferior Acuña

Having been completely disengaged when Rafa left and while Bruce was here I’ve enjoyed rediscovering passion again. That result really was a hammer blow today though. A proper sucker punch. I sat feeling completely flat and emotionless in my local for a few pints at the bar. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

2 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I went to half time thinking we were doing pretty well, but just with the worry that we never look like scoring very often. Watford were pretty terrible. 

When we scored that feeling really continued, that we deserved it but we wouldn’t get a second. 

I didn’t necessarily think Watford would score but it was always a possibility. I think overall we were the better team, albeit with the usual negatives. 

Bingo 

8 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Having been completely disengaged when Rafa left and while Bruce was here I’ve enjoyed rediscovering passion again. That result really was a hammer blow today though. A proper sucker punch. I sat feeling completely flat and emotionless in my local for a few pints at the bar. 

This is absolutely where I'm at too.

I keep anticipating that things will click - that we're due a decent result and a consistent, coherent, performance. But each and every game that goes by, it looks as though that simply isn't going to happen.

7 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Having been completely disengaged when Rafa left and while Bruce was here I’ve enjoyed rediscovering passion again. That result really was a hammer blow today though. A proper sucker punch. I say feeling completely flat and emotionless in my local for a few pints at the bar. 

Thought if I went away for a few hours I would calm down or find some optimism again but I'm absolutely gutted. Feel completely defeated. We looked out of ideas, scared and confidence through the floor. Must have passed earth's core today. Players can't rely on each other and they won't have anything but a defeated and pissed off crowd soon. 

Only hope is some new players coming that can turn things around, still we need luck when the club seems absolutely cursed. We simply never look like scoring. 

13 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

The place is just waiting to take off, unfortunately the players haven’t bought into the optimism. It’s fucking unforgivable and very few of them deserve to be part of our future going forward.

Lots of folk are coming back to St Jame’s for the first time in years, it’s such a shame with the strength of support at the minute that we haven’t capitalised.

I worry about relegation big time. If we get relegated NUFC will have to 

a) Ship out current team and get new ones in to get us out of the Championship

b) If we do get back up at 1st time of asking, then we will have then buy a whole new set of players so we stay in the PL.

That is a 2 year delay and £XM wasted.  Also in the meantime the PL teams I sure will introduce other things to hinder us if we do come back up.

Typical Newcastle - fall into a bucket of tits and come out sucking our thumb!