Newcastle United 1 - 1 Watford (15/01/2022)

LRD

Just now, Robster said:

I am so disappointed that the players haven't drawn on the support from the crowd.

They crumble. They're scared of getting or giving the ball and feeling the onus to actually do something constructive with it, especially at home. They've been conditioned into just sitting deep, tracking runners, squeezing play and trying to destroy attacks. Zero thought into actually playing football and dictating games, it's been football played without the ball, 27% football and they've just about coped by and large. 

Now they're being asked to actually play football and be constructive and creative and they've not got a fucking clue. It's like asking a fish to run down the street. This squad has been set up and built to actively not play football, defend for 75% of the time then spring and do something off the cuff to get goals and points. Bruce was fucking winging it but the regression was gathering pace.   

34 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

The biggest disappointment so far for me. The support has been unrelenting since Spurs and the cunts have shown little response.

Aye been really impressed considering the drop of after the start against Spurs. Where else gets an atmosphere and crowd like today with 1win this season and just dumped out of the cup by Cambridge. Couldn't ask more from the fans. Other clubs would be empty seats every where and the fans moaning after 20'. Noticed the Watford fans finally pipe up AFTER they scored - guess which set of fans gets rewarded. Sickening.

1 hour ago, Inferior Acuña said:

Think it's also 1) that was a low pressure game in the sense there was no 'must win' feel, it was much less tense, because we were playing an obviously better team and 2) relatedly ManU did not sit back, allowing us to counter, and we're shit trying to open up a team that sits and defends.

Point 2 is exactly it and it always has been. ASM or Sissoko back in the day for example are always going to look far better when they have space on the counter to run with the ball.

It's nowt to do with not being bothered in games against smaller teams.

6 hours ago, Shadow Puppets said:

What a difference 6 mins can make. If we’d have dealt with that cross everyone would have been saying it was a hard earned victory. Fine margins. Genuinely think we were the better team but the edginess in defence cost us and made us sit back. Lascelles’ error started the process of the game getting nervier. I don’t think it was a conscious game plan to sit back at all.

How many times have we said that this season? 6? 7? Simply not good enough to win games in the PL.

Just watched MOTD highlights. We really did go to pieces after scoring and to be honest Sissoko should’ve buried his chance after Lascelles cock up. The way we sat back inviting them on, players like rabbit in headlights. We should have gone for Watford to finish them off but players crumbled and Howe has to take some responsibility for this too. Wood has to do better in position leading up to the goal, we get down with a nice 1-2 but again Lascelles and our defence have to do better. 

Its a worry the lack of creativity going forwards with 1 shot on target against woeful opposition combined with the constant errors at the back. This current set aren’t going to get us out of it without some key signings which still could just about save us though looking very unlikely.

(Our midfield too, Christ. Absolutely woeful)

Edited by ExiledGeordie

Guest neesy111

It was a game of 2 Half's, we were better first half, they were better 2nd.

That was actually our worst performance at home under Howe in the PL so far.  So tepid from an attacking perspective.

Sooner Lascelles buggers off the better, sorry but he's a clown. Two left feet and no footballing brain, he's meant to be our captain, a leader, he's spineless and shouldn't be a captain of this club.

The difference in ability between Trippier and the rest of our squad bar Joelinton is massive. He looked calm and composed, the majority of others run round like headless chickens.

Good goal from Maxi, couple decent runs but other than that he was poor. Just beat your man and whip a cross in. 

We need two up top, I noticed Wood was very isolated, won a lot of flick ons but there was no one near him to feed off these and carry on the attack.

We need another striker but obviously the glaring issue right now is we have no back one, Two centre halfs needed. I've been patient but the Saudis need to blow a decent chunk of money now on two new centre halfs, get a decent midfielder in on loan and hopefully a left back we are going down.

Maxi can't cross for Toffee, if we don't sign another striker then he should be played in the number 10 role behind Wood until Wilson is back and we can play two up top.

Big Changes Needed.

Well my take on it is much as the Cambridge game except in front we went , this is where it went wrong , self preservation mode kicked in , leave it to everyone else to defend instead of acting as a team and killing the game off.

Longstaff being picked by EH is a worry though options are limited I’d actually fancy Schar in his role . The midfield is dreadful , that’s the big difference between us and the other teams in this league , we are awful .

Its looking ominous now I’m afraid , so disappointed in everything but still 100% behind them all but it’s not what I expected from the new owners , quite what I did I can’t put my finger on it but the structure of the club and it’s set up has been so let go it’s going to take a whole heap of patience to finally get it right I’m afraid, this is not a quick fix .

Relegation looms unless we get 2 quick wins imho.

And by saying not what I expected I mean the structure, no DOF , the time it took for a manager , not getting who they wanted. They will get it right I’m sure , I’m just frustrated as everyone else is that finally we have the ammo but seem to be firing blanks . I want it now , all of it but know I’m going to have to wait . 

And one last thing , Shelvey, fuck me he’s gone back to type .

Was too deflated to post at full time yesterday.

We’re doomed. They were appalling, but they move the ball so much faster in comparison. We don’t have a chance at breaking sides down when everything is so laboured. Every pass which isn’t misplaced is square. It’s slow, it’s pedestrian, it’s easy to defend against.

Lascelles is done. He’s tragic, as is Sean Longstaff. We really are crying out for a couple of centre mids who can close down play and also drive us forward.

I also hope any assist for ASM’s goal is given to whoever had him up against a wall at HT and told him to sort himself out. I don’t want to be a “body language expert” but his application and enthusiasm from the first minute was quite frankly pathetic. If these owners can sort an adequate replacement, I’d quite happily get rid. His attitude stinks and I think it’s only going to get worse. Not what we want in a relegation fight.

Aye, watching ASM in the first half in particular, I was fuming like a Brexiteer watching Perez. Stinking attitude like you say. Constantly flailing his arms around like a stroppy dickhead, very much playing for himself rather than the team, rendering him basically useless. Would happily see him jettisoned if he wasn't the only one capable of pulling a rabbit out the hat. We don't have the luxury of not having him in the team. 

8 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Aye, watching ASM in the first half in particular, I was fuming like a Brexiteer watching Perez. Stinking attitude like you say. Constantly flailing his arms around like a stroppy dickhead, very much playing for himself rather than the team, rendering him basically useless. Would happily see him jettisoned if he wasn't the only one capable of pulling a rabbit out the hat. We don't have the luxury of not having him in the team. 

He took what, a fingernail to the eye? And lay on the ground while they got the ball down the other end. Also stood pulling his own shirt and having a full-on strop down in the corner. 

Yesterday just made the HBA comparisons even more laughable. He’s lightyears behind what HBA was.

Just now, ManDoon said:

We actually dropped our crosses by half against Watford compared to Cambridge which seems very strange considering we had Wood. Was just having a look at some of the stats 

Yet somehow tools on here have a go at me for telling them the exact problem :lol:

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

It almost looked to me like they’d been told not to go too direct just because Wood was playing. That always happened with Carroll. 

Also we don’t have many players who can cross. 

So... We bought a player that doesn't suit our players? Much like so many people said?

Just now, ManDoon said:

Yeah but we’ve had games this season where we’ve crossed more lol. Pre Trippier. Im just really saying burnley very much played to Wood’s strengths. 

Definitely, I think the longer term plan for Howe is to attack the flanks with the wide players cutting inside to make room for attacking full backs. 

Never would have taken ASM of. He keeps teams busy and stops them creeping forward as they

did as soon as he went off. Even tired and distracted he's dangerous. Thought Wood did alright

holding the ball up a few times and winning free kicks.

Not sure what Howe see's in training, fitness or what the choices really are but he's made

some mistakes.

Against Man U when it was clear they were overloading down the right and Cavani was doing

a stuttering run only half way into the box, for a cutback (they did it twice before he scored), Howe

made no adjustments or sent out any instructions.

Lewis for Dummett and Willock for Longstaff after we scored today for me.

Willock can keep possession and get up the pitch and Lewis might have stopped the cross (Dummett was tired).

CM, CD, another pacy striker. Not sure where the 7 wins are coming from to give us a chance.

35,36 might be enough this year.

28 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Chris Wood losing the ball as much as ASM is not really ideal. 6 challenges from Shelvey is disgusting. Also he only won 3 of them lol

Looked extremely isolated and the service into him was pretty shit all round. His touch was very hit and miss, mind. A bit like

Carroll, in that regard.