Newcastle United 1 - 1 Watford (15/01/2022)

LRD

14 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Dummett as well winning 77% of your challenges is very impressive. He played really well.

He did. There were a few times where he stood his man up, they tried to do him by cutting in and he read them like a book and just stepped across. As a defender, he really is top quality. Our best out and our defender on the books, along with Fernandez. 

Woeful with the ball, mind. Plenty of aimless clips up the line. There was a point yesterday when he had nobody within 10 yards of him. Could have brought it down, headed home, boomed a big volleyed clearance. He just headed it straight up in the air and back to Watford so they could start another attack. 

If we are going to persist with ASM high up the pitch on the left. Then Dummett needs to play, for sure. 

It was hillarious to me the amount of people quoting the number of crosses we had v Cambridge as a reason for being behind the wood signing. We had so many chances to cross the ball yesterday and didn’t more often than not  

Just now, gdm said:

It was hillarious to me the amount of people quoting the number of crosses we had v Cambridge as a reason for being behind the wood signing. We had so many chances to cross the ball yesterday and didn’t more often than not  

I noticed the lack of them, bizarre 

There’s a reason why we’ve dropped so many points from winning positions and we did it again yesterday. We gradually drop deeper, don’t give ourselves options up the field, become easier to press and we lose the ball far nearer our goal than we otherwise would. We aren’t good enough to play keep ball. It was almost farcical how easy we ended up losing possession in dangerous areas when what was required was a ball down the line.

Have no one else seen the lack of movement up front there? I mean, besides the wing/backs are there any runs? I think this is on Howe, we're talking close to standstill ex. Cambridge match when they dropped deep. It comes back to haunt us every friggin match. It's so obvious the team is lacking chemistry and cohesion, that should at least already be in place. If we're gunning for it at the end there, we can't always hoof and poof it long and hope for something to happen with pace. But the lack of last third action is so lacklustre I wanna rip my eyeballs out most of the time.

Btw. it's WAY too easy to blame it on the lack of movement from the midfielders...

Edited by thorin

3 minutes ago, OverThere said:

Wingers kept cutting inside instead of going outside and getting the cross in. Bizarre

I think that's a part of Eddie Howe's system. 

I mean ASM scored the goal by doing that yesterday, so it can work.

Can't really bring myself to talk too much about the game, lots still wrong and that stung like fuck. However, don't think there will be a less energised set of supporters at SJP this season than Watford. Barely a peep from them the whole game, apart from a quick blast of "No noise from the Saudi boys".  Don't have a problem with Watford, great family club and there's nothing to really dislike about them, but that was truly pathetic. 

1 hour ago, St1pe said:

Everyone still massively deflated today after this? 

Yer, sick of these weekend's now. I've experienced plenty of relegation's but really feel invested in the hope the new buyer's bring and if (imo when) it happens this time it'll hit hard. A wasted couple of years for everyone.

1 hour ago, Scribble said:

I think that's a part of Eddie Howe's system. 

I mean ASM scored the goal by doing that yesterday, so it can work.

So, why not keep doing it? it worked once, then never tried again to a team weak in that area. makes no sense.

I thought Ngakia was great except two moments where ASM got the better of him and immediately things happened, and that Kamara looked nervy and reckless but Fraser didn't have what it took to trouble him. 

Really should have switched our wingers throughout the game imo. 

22 minutes ago, bhoywhonder said:

So, why not keep doing it? it worked once, then never tried again to a team weak in that area. makes no sense.

That would work if ASM had an actual end product, but most of the times he doesn't unfortunately. So either he needs to massively improve or he's just our answer to Traore etc. That's no shot at him, it's just facts. If his decision-making in the last third would improve, he would be so much more.

1 hour ago, St1pe said:

Everyone still massively deflated today after this? 

Yes. I still don't understand what Howe is trying to do, or what his game plan is. With Rafa it was pretty clear whether you liked it or not. 

4 minutes ago, TRon said:

Yes. I still don't understand what Howe is trying to do, or what his game plan is. With Rafa it was pretty clear whether you liked it or not. 

What's worried me is you have been able to see what he's trying to do in games aside from the latest two. We seem to have gone backwards since the break after Man Utd. Small sample size but enough to cause enough worry to make me think we're almost certainly going down unless we can make 3+ top signings.

6 minutes ago, TRon said:

It's  a  standard 4-3-3. Which you could see after 15mins wasn't working. 

I'd be very tempted to play ASM or Willock behind Wood, get Almiron on the left where he played his best for us when he first came and he'd give more work in the midfield. 4-4-1-1/4-5-1 call it what you will.

Deflated? I'm flat as a witches tit. Lascelles shouldn't be playing and that buck stops at Howe. He's not a captain and he's not a premiership centre back. 

I do like Howe but I feel he's almost selecting players to not upset the apple cart rather than ability of form.

There should be no 'arms around' these players. They don't need protecting. They either perform or they're replaced. Fuck em.

1 minute ago, madras said:

It's  a  standard 4-3-3. Which you could see after 15mins wasn't working. 

I'd be very tempted to play ASM or Willock behind Wood, get Almiron on the left where he played his best for us when he first came and he'd give more work in the midfield. 4-4-1-1/4-5-1 call it what you will.

I suggested something similar in the pre-match thread, but going 3-5-2 or 5-3-2, depending on possession, that was based purely on players we have available. Willock ahead of Almiron for me, based purely on goal threat. 

4 minutes ago, TRon said:

I suggested something similar in the pre-match thread, but going 3-5-2 or 5-3-2, depending on possession, that was based purely on players we have available. Willock ahead of Almiron for me, based purely on goal threat. 

Definitely, especially with Dummett in the XI.