Leeds United vs. Newcastle United: 22/01/2022 @ 3pm (No UK TV)

LRD

It's why we're desperate for at least a  centre half and midfielder. The bulk of our players are at their alleged peak (albeit they've actually regressed) but they are still in the mentality of playing deep, low block, low possession football and as good a coach as Howe is you can't change that in players that are 27-30 who have been doing that for ~4 years. He needs his own players in to put his proper stamp on it or we're screwed due to the lack of alternatives.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

I'm firmly of the belief now that until Lascelles and Shelvey are out of the team (and replaced by better quality) we aren't going to get any better. We aren't beating Leeds without a new face or two through the door.

3 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

I'm firmly of the belief now that until Lascelles and Shelvey are out of the team (and replaced by better quality) we aren't going to get any better. We aren't beating Leeds without a new face or two through the door.

Can’t get away from this really.

11 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

I totally agree. We need at least 3 new players before the end of the window. 1 centre back and 2 central midfielders. That's the bare minimum we need.

We might as well completely write this game off. I'm not even sure I'm going to watch it 

Edited by Scoot

21 minutes ago, HUGZ said:

this is the long and short of it.

we've got to remember this team of losers preferred playing in empty stadiums under a fat loser manager.

Very important point this, our best football under Bruce was when we came out of lockdown and playing in front of empty stadiums. These players wilt under pressure, so no crowds definitely helped them and made it feel more like a training session where they could express themselves more. 

It’s mad as well because the backing them cunts have had since November has been second to none. Yet they cannot hack it. 

Proper cauldron of noise at times SJP. That Man Utd game was ridiculous. 

Edited by Danh1

35 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

It’s mad as well because the backing them cunts have had since November has been second to none. Yet they cannot hack it. 

Proper cauldron of noise at times SJP. That Man Utd game was ridiculous. 

That has been the problem for a long time. The club simply aren't prepared to pay the premium for the type of player that can perform, week in week out, under that atmosphere. We have players that can maybe raise their game, every now and then, but expecting them to do it every home game is asking too much. Trippier is the first of hopefully many that change that going forward.

Play a 3 at the back and protect him for his first game. Let's use Lewis and Trippier, who will be arguably our strongest area of the pitch, in more advanced areas. Dig deep, keep it tight and pray that we can nick a goal on the break.

Just now, Inferior Acuña said:

I'm curious to see what we play like under Howe in an away game against a team lower down the table. A team that aren't so far ahead of us, but without the pressure of it being a home 'must win'. Having said that, after Leeds result v West Ham I'm not very optimistic. 

I'm not knocking West Ham, they have had a great season but I think their team performances have been way above par for the level of players they have. Declan Rice aside, they don't stand out as a squad.

I expect their performance level to drop in this half of the season. Leeds will be the first defeat of a tougher run.

Moyes has done great with that squad.

1 minute ago, STM said:

Play a 3 at the back and protect him for his first game. Let's use Lewis and Trippier, who will be arguably our strongest area of the pitch, in more advanced areas. Dig deep, keep it tight and pray that we can nick a goal on the break.

Yeah back 3 the question is who do you play alongside Carlos and Dummett ? The popular answer will be Schar, but Lascelles might be the more sensible option for this one.

2 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Yeah back 3 the question is who do you play alongside Carlos and Dummett ? The popular answer will be Schar, but Lascelles might be the more sensible option for this one.

If Carlos can play a bit, then play Lascelles. I've always been a believer in the tough/smart combo.

I really like Schar but I'm not sure he's what we need for a relegation scrap.

Give me Fernandez every day. :lol:

Nobody looking forward to this game then? :lol: Bit quiet in here. 

I suppose we’ll have a lot less of the ball, so the 4-3-3 might work, similar to the Man U game. But I feel like it has looked toothless the last two games. Hardly created any clear openings against a struggling League One side and then a Prem team nearly as bad as us. 

I would have like to see the 3-4-3 we played against Brentford. Can’t defend at the best of times, so may as well get further up the pitch, at least. The 4-4-1-1 is still what Howe wants to play, I reckon. Just not sure where these players fit? 

ASM isn’t a winger, as such. We don’t really have effective midfielders in a 3, never mind a 2. Shelvey will get pressured on the ball, so he’ll be even more pointless than usual and not sure who plays behind Wood? Almiron? Willock? Joelinton? 

I do worry about the Leeds high press, they seem to have their energy back in recent weeks. We can't afford to be fannying around with the ball around our eighteen yard box.

As someone pointed out earlier in the thread, I'd go quite direct here. Play through/over the press and get Wood in the game. They're absolutely terrible in the air so he can do damage here.

I think we'll grab another draw, tbh, if we play on the counter. Leeds ship almost as many goals as we do but have a more dynamic, athletic attack.

Doesn't Wood have a good record against his former teams? He could be an interesting outball for us in a game where I expect us to be more pegged back.