Leeds United vs. Newcastle United: 22/01/2022 @ 3pm (No UK TV)

LRD

Really interesting match up.

Leeds's looked rejuvenated last week, but losing Firpo and Forshaw will be a blow. We'll most likely see Hjelde and Rodrigo Come in for them. 

Leeds High press will be an issue, particularly if we're slow and ponderous on the ball as we were at times v Watford.

Although they'll most likely be without a recognised forward, our lack of midfield tracking means that James, Harrison and Raphinha will undoubtedly cause problems between the lines. I simply can't see us keeping them out.

Leeds have their own problems though and while they are coming back into form absentees and their general style means their should be plenty of openings for ASM and Fraser. They're also one of the worst sides in the league at aerial defending, so we need to find a way to get Wood in the game, even if it means being a bit more direct.

1-1

3 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

Relegation looks pretty much nailed on with him in charge. 

1 win in 11 is it? 

He just can't keep losing games.

1 win in 9 in the league, with our defeats being to City, Liverpool, Arsenal and Leicester.

It's the draws that are killing us.

1 hour ago, toon25 said:

Need to go 5 at the back imo. Can't see any result coming from a 4 at the back and a non-existent 3 in CM.

Which is why I think we should just bypass the midfield, and go 5-2-3 or 3-5-1-1 or some shit like that. The midfielders we've got are non-existent anyway to all extents and purposes. 

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

1 win in 9 in the league, with our defeats being to City, Liverpool, Arsenal and Leicester.

It's the draws that are killing us.

You're quite right. 👍

It should've been

'He can't keep on not winning games' 

2 hours ago, nufcnick said:

He hit a purple patch last season that he will never repeat in his life, LMBFAO not convinced by Joelinton who since Howe came in has probably been out best player by a mile, but yeah let’s drop Joelinton for a lazy waste of space 

I do think he hit a purple patch goals wise that he probably won't repeat.

But when it comes to dribbling, receiving the ball and trying to find a forward pass, he's lightyears ahead of longstaff. His tackling is also underrated.

His problem at the moment is lack of confidence/sharpness and he has been ghosting as a result of that but there is definitely a player in there. 

I actually for some bizarre reason fancy us to win tomorrow, pleased Howe mentioned playing to Woods strengths in the press conference and for me that’s our only chance of winning tomorrow.

Edited by SUPERTOON

49 minutes ago, Foluwashola said:

Lumping balls into the box for Wood could be ideal against this lot like. If we manage to get in the final 3rd that is.

We won't pass our way there for sure. Get the ball up there to Wood, and then have another forward sniffing close by to pick up the knockdowns or lay-offs. The only one capable of doing it for me is Willock. 

Not ASM

Not Fraser

Not Miggy

Just Willock. 

47 minutes ago, TRon said:

We won't pass our way there for sure. Get the ball up there to Wood, and then have another forward sniffing close by to pick up the knockdowns or lay-offs. The only one capable of doing it for me is Willock. 

Not ASM

Not Fraser

Not Miggy

Just Willock. 

I’d drop Shelvey for Willock for this very reason. We need someone that can chase the knock downs and still get back into shape when we lose the ball 

Longstaff's dawdling against their press will be pretty catastrophic. I think starting him is getting close to the same level as starting Ritchie in terms of almost guaranteeing we don't win.

Just now, 54 said:

Would be tempted to go with something like this:

Dubravka

Trippier

Schar

Lascelles 

Dummett

Lewis

Joelinton

Shelvey

Fraser

ASM

Wood

I feel Wood would end up being isolated again, just the same as happened against Watford. 

This game could go either way and will be close.  Some on here talking up Leeds as if they are Barcelona is nonsense.  They will point to the last two games that Leeds played and I admit they are good to watch.  However if we get at them and take the game to them at the same time as nullifying their pacy breaks then we can most certainly get a result.  Oh by the way ...... their two games prior to their wins were absolute hammerings 5-1 and 7-0.

20 minutes ago, Rod said:

This game could go either way and will be close.  Some on here talking up Leeds as if they are Barcelona is nonsense.  They will point to the last two games that Leeds played and I admit they are good to watch.  However if we get at them and take the game to them at the same time as nullifying their pacy breaks then we can most certainly get a result.  Oh by the way ...... their two games prior to their wins were absolute hammerings 5-1 and 7-0.

Yeah with rapid people like Shelvey and Longstaff in the middle, there is no way they can overrun the midfield and just play straight around them. We'll be counter-attacked to death.

2 minutes ago, worthy said:

Yeah with rapid people like Shelvey and Longstaff in the middle, there is no way they can overrun the midfield and just play straight around them. We'll be counter-attacked to death.

So let them keep the ball and we can counter attack. The only way to get points tomorrow imo.