Leeds United vs. Newcastle United: 22/01/2022 @ 3pm (No UK TV)

LRD

10 minutes ago, POOT 2.0 said:

It's mad how, over many years, some have gone on like the matchday thread has an actual influence on a game. Like calling Shelvey a lazy cunt somehow influences his performance. Or saying ASM should have fucking passed the ball somehow travels through the universe and hits him right in the feels. Supporters make sport exist, and they have a right to call it how it is, as it happens. Forever, fans have said x player is having a shit game then a few minutes later chanted his name as he buries a sweet volley into the top corner. It's what it's all about.

IMHO :D 

Also...doesn't showing anger/disappointment at your team also show massive passion and caring? Feels as "proper fan" as any other emotion. IMHO :dontknow:

I'm not saying anyone is less of a fan for it though, I'm just saying it's quite sad if we're giving up hope this early, which it absolutely is.

Your point about forum threads, etc. Whilst it's largely true, it'd be a tad naive to dismiss it in its entirety though. Players have come off social media accounts for the abuse they've recieved, and collectively the more fans that read the negativity the more that negativity grows beyond the internet.

Nonetheless, I'm in total agreement that the players must ultimately do their bit, and also that, in particular key influencers must lead the way. 

2 minutes ago, POOT 2.0 said:

Sorry, that wasn't meant as directed at you, mate. I just went off on a tangent after our convo :lol:

I should have made that clear. 

Nee worries. Fingers crossed for a win tomorrow anyways! Chris Wood winner. 

Leeds away has many happy memories for me results-wise (despite the usual unpleasantness that goes with it).  One of the best away ends I’d been in when we won there on Xmas week 20 years ago.  Going down there the year after and literally dancing on their club’s self-dug grave (‘Peter Ridsdale is our friend … he sold Woodgate … sold us Woodgate on the cheap …’ etc etc).  Fantastic stuff.  No love lost for them for those of us of a certain age or older I’d imagine

The worry, as ever with this side, is being overrun in midfield.  With no-one brought in for this game, I hope Howe has an idea of how to prevent it.  Leeds aren’t world-beaters; a positive result is hardly impossible.  But if the side are as insipid as they have been the last few weeks, there is only one outcome here. 

2 hours ago, Rod said:

Well said.  I can't believe some of the negative comments on here.  It's so annoying to read.  Toon fans, my arse!

So to be a Toon fan, you have to reckon we are going to win every game? Not allowed to be realistic and say it as it is - we are 19th and have won 1 game out of 22 all season?

Home support has been superb, and i'm sure it will be until the end. Fans will support the team regardless, but to say people aren't toon fans because they are negative about winning 1 game in 22, is just ridiculous.

My peer is a huge Leeds supporter. He's English as can be and lives in Leeds. He works for an American company and is a huge fan. I am American and wore my "Northern Rock" jersey on a video conference with my British counterparts this morning.

He's got tickets for tomorrow. Fun rivalry at work, please give me a win!  

Edited by McDog

2 hours ago, Heron said:

I'm not saying anyone is less of a fan for it though, I'm just saying it's quite sad if we're giving up hope this early, which it absolutely is.

Your point about forum threads, etc. Whilst it's largely true, it'd be a tad naive to dismiss it in its entirety though. Players have come off social media accounts for the abuse they've recieved, and collectively the more fans that read the negativity the more that negativity grows beyond the internet.

Nonetheless, I'm in total agreement that the players must ultimately do their bit, and also that, in particular key influencers must lead the way. 

You're saying keep the faith Heron, and it's a like religion, still making sure you go to church even when times are shit.

But others are looking at the table,stats,facts, etc. 

And just believing what they're seeing. (Its not good enough)

But.......

I think Howe has been extremely unlucky with a few fixtures, notably last week, 6 minutes away from a win. Brentford, Norwich you could still argue we could have had a win had we not lost a player after 6 minutes, and also Man Utd, I think could have been a win, this chuckling away points from winning positions etc, we've been pretty unlucky also.

Theres a chance, but its gradually, getting slimmer each week, and you feel like you're just waiting for the mathematically impossible stage.

3 hours ago, Heron said:

Gonna have myself a little rant here - I just honestly,  can not accept that we're as done with as people are making out. Frankly, I find it all just so submissive and sad. Where's the  fight man?! Like why would the players give it if all they're seeing is this mindset from the fans, the ones who'll be here after they go? 

I get we cannot be endlessly positive and must be realistic but our reality is that whilst there's lots of room for improvement and our record this season is shit, we're gathering a more operational level of fitness, have signed two players so far, and may get more and have a better manager going into the second half of the season. We also, despite the above, have a modicum of positivity. It's just not the same as the first 19 games.

Perhaps for me, it's because I jacked my ticket in, in a fight against Ashley, but I'll be fucking damned if I gave up with 2 games in hand on a team only 4 points ahead of us with another 18 games to play and 2 of them against our league rivals. Not after all the fucking apathy, hate and negativity of the decade or so that's preceded this moment. Fuck. That. I'm not ready to give up on hope.

People do it every year. People get a smug satisfaction out of saying 'told you so, you were so silly and naive' when it happens, and they forget they ever said it when it doesn't happen. Like moody teenagers at school man. The fact of the matter we're not done. It is *likely* we will be relegated, it's not certain, it's just silly to say it is. How many of those would have Norwich winning the games they have if they were Norwich fans.

Edited by Inferior Acuña

First ever away game was at Elland road early 70's, it was a fairly hostile environment back then,bit alarming for a 9 year old. There was always a massive following made the journey,over 10000 crammed into a terraced end,amid an electric atmosphere. They had a very good side under Revie in those days,but we did manage a point here and there. I fancy us to do the same later on today, 2-2

7 hours ago, Heron said:

Gonna have myself a little rant here - I just honestly,  can not accept that we're as done with as people are making out. Frankly, I find it all just so submissive and sad. Where's the  fight man?! Like why would the players give it if all they're seeing is this mindset from the fans, the ones who'll be here after they go? 

I get we cannot be endlessly positive and must be realistic but our reality is that whilst there's lots of room for improvement and our record this season is shit, we're gathering a more operational level of fitness, have signed two players so far, and may get more and have a better manager going into the second half of the season. We also, despite the above, have a modicum of positivity. It's just not the same as the first 19 games.

Perhaps for me, it's because I jacked my ticket in, in a fight against Ashley, but I'll be fucking damned if I gave up with 2 games in hand on a team only 4 points ahead of us with another 18 games to play and 2 of them against our league rivals. Not after all the fucking apathy, hate and negativity of the decade or so that's preceded this moment. Fuck. That. I'm not ready to give up on hope.

Morning mate , decent point but it’s a football forum with many opinions , some want EH sacked [emoji38] some aren’t happy with the 2 signings [emoji38] , however the rants recently over our position is justified mind . 
There’s something wrong with the players mindset currently, they don’t look happy or together , not playing for one another , we don’t look like we have a leader on the field, individuals running around making mistakes every single match and it’s hurtful to see .

Frustration is the word to describe a lot on here , we SHOULDNT be in this mess and every week we are expecting take off and it’s not happening, we have had chance after chance to start to get out of this handed to us and pissed it up .

Its all the hallmarks of a relegation side I’m afraid , I hope today the make me eat my words but we look and feel like going down without a whimper and suddenly the games will run out and we are gone .

4 hours ago, Inferior Acuña said:

I've been to Elland Road three times and we won all three. (1-0 98/99, 3-1 00/01, 4-3 01/02) I can't think of any other grounds like that for me.

You were at the 4-3 eh…jealous. Amazing game. Dyer to Nobby! Top of the league!

Edited by Collage

Dubravka 

Schar      Lascelles     Dummett 

Trippier                                            Lewis

Shelvey

Wllock                Joelinton 

ASM             Wood

Get someone playing next to wood. Cut off all space in the centre. Rely on either a counter with ASM or set piece/cross for Wood.

11 minutes ago, STM said:

Dubravka 

Schar      Lascelles     Dummett 

Trippier                                            Lewis

Shelvey

Wllock                Joelinton 

ASM             Wood

Get someone playing next to wood. Cut off all space in the centre. Rely on either a counter with ASM or set piece/cross for Wood.

The DM-shaped hole is too glaring to ignore whenever someone posts their preferred formation these days. 

XICa5lw.jpg

Replace Longstaff with just about any other midfielder, but he's probably going to press the most so I'll go with him (maybe Almiron).

Fraser's best quality is that he runs about being a nuacance and links up well with Trippier, so he's possibly more useful than anyone else on the right side of a midfield 3.

Keep the ball away from the keft sude of the pitch as much as possible.

God our squad is absolutely horrid.