Leeds United vs. Newcastle United: 22/01/2022 @ 3pm (No UK TV)

LRD

I'm ever the optimist so it's nice to be going in as the underdogs for the first time this year. I think most people felt we would beat Cambridge and Watford.

The last time we were underdogs was vs Man U.

It's a funny old game.

I'll consider my prediction Friday :)

Edited by DMLeazesender

To think there was a time when we looked forward to potentially beating anyone.

Then it was expecting the worst. Then expecting a slaughter from the top 5. Now it's expecting a slaughter from fucking Leeds. Hoping to jam or scrap a result. It's OK though because I think we will play the more beatable teams soon. Then I realise we at the stage where practically every team is better and every game is expecting a slaughter. We do even expect us to best the few teams that are beatable.

I feel like, wake me up in two years but the journey will make the eventual ascent that much sweeter and It's part of why we love the game whilst hating it at the same time. The rise is coming. Keep the faith! These years will feel strange and foreign in those to come!

Yes interesting point, back to being the unfancied team. 

Backs to the wall again means the team may just respond? Playing how they used to be trained to do , it’s how they roll. Good point , may see us play like a different team .

interesting 

Dubravka

Schar Fernandez/Lascelles Dummett

Trippier                                                     Manquillo

Longstaff Willock Joelinton

ASM 

Wood       

Attacking down the right with Trippier crossing for Wood, with Willock arriving late for a knock down and ASM arriving at the far post. If their plan is to double up on ASM he can drift across their back four and cause chaos in their defence.

Attacking down the left with Manquillo as an IWB dragging wide opposition inside to create space for ASM to exploit. Again if the plan is to double up on ASM, Manquillo can release Willock or Longstaff through the middle or try to find a wide open Trippier.

Edited by Happinesstan

I'd like to see ASM and Willock find that connection they had at the end of last season. I think playing Manquillo on the left can maybe facilitate that. As well as drawing the wide opposition inside, he will take away the focus of the central opposition which should allow Willock to find a run into the box.

We need to work out how to use Wood, apparently the service into him on Saturday was awful.  If it means an earlier ball the so be it, now isn't the time time for total football or what we've been doing, awful football 

We need the manager to stop making mistakes here as much as the players. 

Imagine trying to convince players to join after yet another shit show. We need to at least show them we have a slight chance of staying up.

54 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Dubravka

Schar Fernandez/Lascelles Dummett

Trippier                                                     Manquillo

Longstaff Willock Joelinton

ASM 

Wood       

Attacking down the right with Trippier crossing for Wood, with Willock arriving late for a knock down and ASM arriving at the far post.

Attacking down the left with Manquillo as an IWB dragging wide opposition inside to create space for ASM to exploit.

Not sure it’d be wise playing Dubravka that close to the wing and leaving the goal open.

8 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Not sure it’d be wise playing Dubravka that close to the wing and leaving the goal open.

I'm that confident in my attacking plan I just keep Dubs close to the bench to receive instructions. Also he can cover for Trippier in the last 20 mins, because Schar will have switched off by then.

Edited by Happinesstan

1 minute ago, Unlucky Luque said:

We will have a few chances, manage to score one, let them into the game, Howe will shut us down, everyone will shit themselves, Leeds score after the 85 min mark.

There, saved you all 90 minutes.

In fairness I don't think Howe has been shutting us down, I just think its the default. He was screaming at them to push up on Saturday, but they just kept getting deeper and deeper.

9 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Howe even said after the match on Saturday that the players went into protective mode against the plan. Suppose when you have a bunch of losers who aren’t used to winning, that can happen. 

this is the long and short of it.

we've got to remember this team of losers preferred playing in empty stadiums under a fat loser manager.

Agree hugely with the posts above, that's why I was sticking it to Shelvey so much after the Watford game. If there was someone not horribly limited in his position, we'd keep possession so much more and ultimately be more equipped at seeing games out. Sadly I've absolutely no confidence at this point that he's going to be second choice by February 1st.