Jesse Lingard

5 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

I haven’t said that I am. I’ve stated several times it’s more opinion, that’s usually what posting on a forum is for.

I would rather everything is done quietly, but it’s not, so I’m passing comment on the observation that most journalists are reporting we’re currently trying to do deals for four players and none of them are CMs.

But lots of journalists are reporting we have been linked with and bid for CMs, yet for some reason you want to ignore those reports. As I’ve posted several times. Yet you persist with your ‘opinion’ that goes against this. Therefore your opinion is only based on those reports that suit your personal narrative and is worth nothing if you’re not taking into account everything available to you. 

4 minutes ago, Manxst said:

But lots of journalists are reporting we have been linked with and bid for CMs, yet for some reason you want to ignore those reports. As I’ve posted several times. Yet you persist with your ‘opinion’ that goes against this. Therefore your opinion is only based on those reports that suit your personal narrative and is worth nothing if you’re not taking into account everything available to you. 

Are you intentionally being a bit thick?

My opinion is that it’s disappointing we aren’t in for a CM right now as it’s essential we get one.

The reports you’ve shown me as ‘fact’ do nothing other than support my opinion, as do the reports from other journalists that have named the deals we’re working on - none of them CMs.

Edited by Fantail Breeze

3 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Who said just a CB?

A CM, CB and decent striker should have all been a priority in the first three weeks of this window. One, two, or three of those would have significantly helped us win that game.

Different players playing the game would make the entire game different too. It’s not as simple as looking at the goal and saying a CB wouldn’t have changed that. If we had a better striker or a CM, we might have been 3-0 up by that point.

Either way, a stronger team would probably have done better. It’s not rocket science to think that.

You are right. Although you would also be right if you said we'd win the league if we had the best players in the world with the best coaches and facilities. It's not rocket science. 

I think the frustration is caused by the importance of this window. When they took over everyone knew instantly that the picture of the next couple of years was going to be decided on what happens this window, blind man on a galloping horse could see it. The only way we were going to avoid relegation was to buy our way out of it and this meant that Staveley had to be organised, well advised and perform well to get players signed, it's not down to luck. Signing players not a game of chance like a raffle or something like that. It's down to the scouting, the judgement, the negotiations and the ambition of the people doing the deals, it's not pot luck. We didn't sign Tripper because of good luck, it was an excellent deal and they put the work in to get done. 

However, as we speak they've only got 2 players in and that's not going to be enough. I'm not having a massive pop at them because I've got no doubt that they're trying and clubs are also being dicks - I get that. But the harsh reality of the situation is that they either do the deals, by hook or by crook, or we go down and the immediate future is Championship football. If they're not successful in the next 10 days then we drop, they know it and the urgency and impatience will only get worse over the next week on here and within the club. 

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

I don't think it is to be honest.

The likes of SSN and other media outlets require constant attention/clicks to survive. They'll therefore take something as small as an enquiry or a deadlock in negotiations and blow it into something far more dramatic to create a headline.

Case in point would be Sky with Digne. It seems we had an interest and most likely made an informal enquiry. This was blown into us making a £22.5 million bid, this was later retracted by Sky.

Then the two sagas of Botman and Carlos. If the media were to be believed we've been messed around. It seems though that both Lille and Sevilla were quite clear with their prices from the off, but the former chose to take the player off the market. The far more likely story that we're in the process negotiating a fair price, discussing the structure of a contract and waiting on third parties (all of which takes weeks in a deal of that size) isn't dramatic or headline worthy and won't have thousands of desperate NUFC fans clicking in a hurry. 

Throw in mischievous agents trying to whip up a demand in their cliebt (see the Hazard stuff) and most of it won't be coming from our end.

I appreciate our side do love a positive progress report to the local journos, which I wish they'd pack in, but they tend to be quite vague in nature.

Essentially most of the stuff we read isn't deals being played out in public, its media outlets putting out click bait for fans who they know can't wait for a daily update.

Sky will report silence as ongoing discussions. They might make up a number and throw it in as a possible fee.

57 minutes ago, Awaymag said:

I dont think the owners can win at the moment with this forum.   Just because names haven't been mentioned in the media for a CM, doesn't mean they aren't looking or making progress?   The situation has become an absolute paradox: - Most are sick of the media speculating on names and the constant commentary on one side.   On the other side, if nothing is mentioned, most become concerned that nothing is happening.

Its an impossible position for them!

Just wait for things to be confirmed. By all means talk about the reported targets, but getting wound up by what you don't know is a path to insanity.

Lingard’s spell at WHU and his subsequent goals could be seen as a purple patch based on the little he had done prior to that spell for a time at Man Utd, but he’s proven he scores goals for club and country more often than not when he plays and gets a run of games. He’s technically a decent player and drives forward, he’s a no brainer really and he’s a step above whatever else we have in there. He’d be a good addition to the team in terms of character too, I dislike his J Lingz persona, but by all accounts he’s a likeable personality for club and country and that kind of banter could lighten the mood which will be intense and maybe too much at times due to the pressure. I’d offer them 10m for a straight up buy and offer him a 2 year deal. Score the goals that help keep us up and he gets a big bonus on top. 

Yeah I really don't get the comparison with Willock like, Lingard's been around for years. He might not have been good enough to win titles or CL trophies, but he's always been a good player, far above standard level. Some of the goals he has scored during his career were pure class. 

I'd say that even if he ends up at West Ham fwiw. From what I've read, seems he would prefer to go back to London, but he's also open to coming here. If we can offer him a better package that might do it. 

1 minute ago, TRon said:

Yeah I really don't get the comparison with Willock like, Lingard's been around for years. He might not have been good enough to win titles or CL trophies, but he's always been a good player, far above standard level. Some of the goals he has scored during his career were pure class. 

I'd say that even if he ends up at West Ham fwiw. From what I've read, seems he would prefer to go back to London, but he's also open to coming here. If we can offer him a better package that might do it. 

Man Utd would be mad to let him go back to a club who they are fighting with for a top 4 spot.

Just now, HTT II said:

Man Utd would be mad to let him go back to a club who they are fighting with for a top 4 spot.

I think they would probably prefer to do the deal with us tbh, especially if it's a permanent one. All depends on how sold on it Lingard is. There's talk of him wanting to return to London, but would he be going there to retire? I think this is going to be West Ham's stand out season, would be surprised if they kick on to much more following this, they just don't have the finances for it. Maybe Jesse would be tempted to be part of one of the most exciting football projects in the world right here instead?

Honestly think we can get this done if we really want him. 

1 hour ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Are you intentionally being a bit thick?

My opinion is that it’s disappointing we aren’t in for a CM right now as it’s essential we get one.

The reports you’ve shown me as ‘fact’ do nothing other than support my opinion, as do the reports from other journalists that have named the deals we’re working on - none of them CMs.

Are you deliberately being obtuse? You have no factual evidence to support your theory that we’re NOT currently in for a CM right now, other than not hearing about it. Yet I’ve posted several links to say the club are ACTIVELY looking to get at least one. 

Would be a hell of a signing with the added bonus that he won't want to miss out on another international tournament so will be keen to impress. Ideally would like him permanently, but a 6 month loan would go a long way to giving us the best possible chance of survival, coupled with a centre mid and a centre half of course.

from above article...

"The rival club’s name has not been revealed and Newcastle are refusing to give up on signing the centre back this month. It is believed they have already agreed personal terms and are still trying to thrash out personal terms."

:serious: