Jesse Lingard

14 minutes ago, Mr Raspberry Jam said:

Can't help but feel that even if we do sign Lingard, Carlos and anyone else now that we've given ourselves too much to do to stay up. 

It’s just silly speculation but I have the feeling like we need 4 new players, improve 4 positions, to have a good chance of staying up. And we are 100% relegated as the squad is now.

3 minutes ago, alijmitchell said:

This window is turning into a total shambles

While 90% of the paper talk and rumours are fiction, there is no doubt we have struggled immensely and would have hoped to have had most of the business already done. Not even half way there yet! Plenty more torture and rejection to come!

1 hour ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Surely more to it like as I cannot imagine us turning Lingard for 6 months down at £3.5m like [emoji38]

Think he might well be here in the next couple of days tbh. Assuming he wants to come. 

38 minutes ago, Teasy said:

Anyone else?  We need like 1.33 points per game to very likely stay up, thats below mid table form.

Well beyond our current, but I mean if we signed some very good players its hardly too much to achieve.

We don’t need 1.33 points to stay up 

we will only need to get 1 point more than the bottom 3 ….or the same but a better goal difference 

I can see 3 teams with low points this season - going down 

Just now, Alberto2005 said:

He's worth more than that man, fucking about with shit bids.

He has 6 months left on his contract like, that's a really good offer for someone who barely gets a kick for them.

1 minute ago, ManDoon said:

Really think lingard will do well for us. Good signing 

If he’s motivated to play for us I’m all for it. If he’s coming to toss it off and pick up a wedge then …

Sorry, it’s always my fear with ex Man United players in Particular. 

Just now, r0cafella said:

If he’s motivated to play for us I’m all for it. If he’s coming to toss it off and pick up a wedge then …

Sorry, it’s always my fear with ex Man United players in Particular. 

West Ham last year?

Just now, olliemort said:

West Ham last year?

Aye, that was West Ham last year. My concern is us this year. 

And I’m not saying he will toss it off; I’m saying it’s a worry if we give him a big long contract to get him here. 

4 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

Might be daft but I think he could have the biggest impact out of all the potential signings. We desperately lack a goal threat and someone to link the midfield and attack. 

I thought that's what Willock was for 

Think he'd prefer to go to West Ham all things being equal, but we can probably offer him and Man U bigger money, so he might just be persuaded. I have no problem with that, he seems like a good professional, if he comes here I reckon he'd give it everything. 

Just for those commenting on our 2M bid, it appears to have flushed out the 3.5M price, which itself sounds acceptable.

As a caution, Lingard at West Ham outperformed xG to a greater extent than Willock did last season. However, if you watch the his highlights on YT, the non-tap ins are pretty much all powerful strikes that keepers failed to keep out or were in the corner anyway. He can run with the ball and definitely put his foot through it, which sound enough for goals against the fourteen or fifteen teams who will soon have increasingly little to play for.

The romantic in me says its probably Lingard's last chance at a WC next year, and he needs a move to get playing time and exposure. Whether that matters to him that is another matter altogether.