Jesse Lingard

Based on his performances last season for West Ham, when his contract expires Lingard could probably have his pick from a handful of clubs with European aspirations. Why come to a club in the middle of a relegation battle for six months on loan and potentially wreck your value?

4 minutes ago, Shak said:

Be great if we can get this guy on loan, stay up and then sign someone better than him in the summer in an effort to push on.

This. We have so many players in and around his position, but I do think he'll be an upgrade on them or be in the top bracket along with one or two (Him, ASM, Fraser, Almiron, Willock, maybe Joe, all occupy "similar" positions depending on setup). If Willock was playing like last year I'd probably say we had no need for Lingard and spend this time and money on an even better CM. I get the addition though, I'd rather him racing towards the goal with the ball at his feet than ASM atm. So...

1 hour ago, buzz said:

Trippier will be off in the summer too if we go down. Don't think it makes much difference, at least Lingard is being up front about it.

With Trippier we’ll get our money back. £10m for someone who may or may not decide to sign permanently at the end of it seems rough to me. I’d move on.

9 minutes ago, Gottlob said:

Based on his performances last season for West Ham, when his contract expires Lingard could probably have his pick from a handful of clubs with European aspirations. Why come to a club in the middle of a relegation battle for six months on loan and potentially wreck your value?

Trippier?

1 minute ago, mighty__mag said:

A 10m loan for a player who's free in a few months? :dowie:

Reeks of desperation. 

Wants to go to WH in the summer, doesn't he?

So this is entirely about keeping us up. £10m isn't that much given the alternative.

And we are officially now desperate.

1 hour ago, Klaus said:

If he doesn't want to be here 100% I don't want him to come.

This. Like I respect the fact he might fancy West Ham so wants to use us as a stop gap, which is fair enough, but he has to still want to come here like[emoji38]

These reports read like we're trying to fucking drag him up to SJP.

9 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Wants to go to WH in the summer, doesn't he?

So this is entirely about keeping us up. £10m isn't that much given the alternative.

And we are officially now desperate.

You're confident, that this is the guy to do it? 

8 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

This. Like I respect the fact he might fancy West Ham so wants to use us as a stop gap, which is fair enough, but he has to still want to come here like[emoji38]

These reports read like we're trying to fucking drag him up to SJP.

Yup, but obviously this could just be speculation. I seriously hope he has indicated to us that he wants to actually be here, and we aren't wasting our time trying to negotiate a deal.

11 minutes ago, Collage said:

That’s exactly what we are. Get him in.

Exactly, we are ultra desperate, have shit loads of cash so use it to stay up then we can built a fucking behemoth of a side in the summer when we arent so desperate.  I'd rather 10M on Lingard than overpay 20M on someone on a permanent deal having to offer them silly wages.

A £10m loan fee for six months... for Lingard?! 

I'm sure Chelsea would accept £10m to lend us Lukaku for six months (not that they need the money) - but anyone mid-table who are safe. 

Abroad - literally take your pick. You could get pretty much anyone's first-choice striker with the exception of the big CL boys - but most would accept the hit for the season for a £10m payout... if it means they get the player back again in the summer. 

Ridiculous amount of money to pay for a loan... so if we're willing to pay that, get someone world class for it! 

A £10m loan fee with some silly clause where he gets a permanent 2 year contract automatically if we stay up but with a £5m release clause for that first summer if he wants to go still. 

I know if doesn’t exist but would be something that would suit all parties.

6 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

You're confident, that this is the guy to do it? 

He looked fantastic for a while at Man U, then went right off the boil. But he always seems to look good playing for England, and we saw what he did at West Ham last season so....

10m will be pennies if he does the business that keeps us up and if we do stay up I’m sure the next phase of the project may well appeal to him to join permanently and if not, he’s nearly 30, I’d far rather, if we stay up, build for the future in terms of bringing in quality younger players that will be here for 5 or more years like City started to do once they consolidated. Let’s face it, Lingard would be a huge upgrade in our team as an attacking midfielder.

Just now, HTT II said:

10m will be pennies if he does the business that keeps us up and if we do stay up I’m sure the next phase of the project may well appeal to him to join permanently and if not, he’s nearly 30, I’d far rather, if we stay up, build for the future in terms of bringing in quality younger players that will be here for 5 or more years like City started to do once they consolidated. Let’s face it, Lingard would be a huge upgrade in our team as an attacking midfielder.

It's all relative isn't it? Chris Wood looks like the biggest £25m dud in the history of football, but we took four points from six since he came into the side, so could argue it was worth wasting £25m. 

10 minutes ago, BeloEmre said:

That's fair enough, from his point of view his next contract is very important. Basically his last payday as being 29 his value is probably only going to dwindle. I was just more concerned it was because he wasn't keen on moving here.