Jesse Lingard

Just now, Clockwork Cheese said:

Just Lingard needs to force his way out, but I think he'd prefer to just collect his money and expect a club like us to match his wages to get him out.

Seriously? He's been a part of this club since he was 7 years old. He isn't the sort to be a dickhead and force a move away. 

Just now, Froggy said:

Seriously? He's been a part of this club since he was 7 years old. He isn't the sort to be a dickhead and force a move away. 

'force a move out' doesn't have to mean being a dick about it... Can make it clear that he wants a move out, put a transfer request in etc. etc. Theres obviously a right way to go about things, wasn't suggesting he be an arsehole over it all.

We see players engineer moves out of clubs all the time, you're not telling me that if Lingard wanted to spend this season playing he couldn't have left Man United in the summer, or even at the start of this window? Why the hell would Man United stand in the way of a 6th choice attacking midfielder leave the club - especially when he's entering his final year. 

2 minutes ago, Clockwork Cheese said:

'force a move out' doesn't have to mean being a dick about it... Can make it clear that he wants a move out, put a transfer request in etc. etc. Theres obviously a right way to go about things, wasn't suggesting he be an arsehole over it all.

We see players engineer moves out of clubs all the time, you're not telling me that if Lingard wanted to spend this season playing he couldn't have left Man United in the summer, or even at the start of this window? Why the hell would Man United stand in the way of a 6th choice attacking midfielder leave the club - especially when he's entering his final year. 

We wouldn't stand in his way, just as he wouldn't force anything. There's a lot of mutual respect there. I don't think it has been handled badly by anyone. I still think he'll be gone soon.

Just now, Froggy said:

We wouldn't stand in his way, just as he wouldn't force anything. There's a lot of mutual respect there. I don't think it has been handled badly by anyone. I still think he'll be gone soon.

Can appreciate that, but can imagine he would have been told between the lines he could have gone in the summer if he wanted. I'm questioning the fact that he hasn't left Man United, and has allowed himself to sit on the bench all season despite finishing last season in cracking form. 

Dan James made the professional decision to move on despite being under contract knowing he wouldn't play.       

£10M player that was brought from a Championship club, and went in ahead of Lingard for playing time 19/20, then ahead of him 20/21 to the fact JL had to go out on loan to get a game. 

My point is that I think Lingard doesn't really give that much of a shit about playing, trying to get back into the England squad, and headlines about him being Angry is total nonsense. Simple and short of it is that if he wanted to play and carry on the momentum in his career he earned at West Ham he would have left Man U in the summer. To me it's damning of him that he was happy to stay. 

I still think we'll get him, just not with a 12 million survival bonus. It'll probably go to the wire on deadline day. Strange as it may seem, this could work to our advantage, because if the other players (Bruno etc.) sign before we finalize with Lingard, we can offer all kinds of relegation clauses in the knowledge that they won't be activated.

I'd personally let this lie now, and wait. 

If there's no interest by deadline, they'll be ringing us asking us to take him. (Probably at a cheaper offer) its stupid from them otherwise.

They're just trying it on.

Edited by mighty__mag

6 minutes ago, Clockwork Cheese said:

£10M player that was brought from a Championship club, and went in ahead of Lingard for playing time 19/20, then ahead of him 20/21 to the fact JL had to go out on loan to get a game. 

My point is that I think Lingard doesn't really give that much of a shit about playing, trying to get back into the England squad, and headlines about him being Angry is total nonsense. Simple and short of it is that if he wanted to play and carry on the momentum in his career he earned at West Ham he would have left Man U in the summer. To me it's damning of him that he was happy to stay. 

Maybe, doesn't mean he isn't far superior to anything we have at the moment and could make a difference.

Utd having a laugh with us though...they don't give a shit about a few £m and us relegated will set us back a few years

35 minutes ago, Clockwork Cheese said:

No faith in him that he really wants to be playing football tbh... 

His situation with Man United won't be anything new to him, would have been made clear what it was going to cost him in the summer to get a move out - whether forgoing a chunk of his final year contract, or kicking up a stink and transfer requesting. 

In a summer where Ronaldo and Sancho are signed, where you're about 6th choice off the bench as is, it was bloody obvious your never playing. If he wanted his move to West Ham badly enough he would have put in transfer request and forced a move out, would have cost him his end.

End of the day, Man United aren't going to stand in the way of a 29year that's nowhere near starting XI leaving the club. Opportunity would have been there for him to leave in the summer to West Ham, and probably had offers elsewhere too. Lingard needs to force his way out, but I think he'd prefer to just collect his money and expect a club like us to match his wages to get him out.

Ronaldo transfer came out of the blue. If not for Ronaldo signing, Lingard gets decent minutes.

Rashford missed the early season too.

I saw all that bollocks last night but the logic doesn’t work.

At the time Rafa didn’t want to sell so (if true) we quoted a ridiculous fee, Lingard leaves for free whether they like it or not in 5 months.

Edited by geordie_b

I'd perhaps pay Man U the alleged £2.5m plus £12.5m survival bonus for Lingard if it was a straight transfer, but not if he can just fuck off to West Ham after 6 months. That's crazy talk. :lol:

They have every right to ask it, of course. But no way on earth should we be doing anything other than laughing at them and hanging up.