Jesse Lingard

8 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

100% agree. I think it is a huge risk and I'd much rather pay 12m now and he be our player to do with as we wish ;D

I think we'd be happy to, it's Lingard himself who apparently doesn't want to sign permanently.

19 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

But we could pay a transfer fee now. That's basically the option that Man U have given us. Pay now and get him on a permanent deal or get him on loan and pay at the end of season if you stay up. That's how it seems to me

Except that in the latter, Lingard can walk away at the end of the season.

24 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

But we could pay a transfer fee now. That's basically the option that Man U have given us. Pay now and get him on a permanent deal or get him on loan and pay at the end of season if you stay up. That's how it seems to me

Ah, right. Don't think he's up for a permanent deal, but that's based on reports which I try not to give any credence.

3 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Ah, right. Don't think he's up for a permanent deal, but that's based on reports which I try not to give any credence.

Isn’t the issue that as a free agent at the end of the season, he’ll be entitled to a large signing fee etc, and will also probably be his last contract- hence why he doesn’t want to join anyone permanently now? 

Just now, Manxst said:

Isn’t the issue that as a free agent at the end of the season, he’ll be entitled to a large signing fee etc, and will also probably be his last contract- hence why he doesn’t want to join anyone permanently now? 

Might be. Maybe he has his eyes on that £12M. It seems we'd have to pay it twice to sign him permanently. No thanks. I like him and would take him til the end of the season, but my money is on him joining West Ham in the summer.

5 minutes ago, Thiago said:

I keep thinking this gets done. 

Problem is, it puts our fate in Man U's hands if they pretend they might do a deal on the last day, then at the last minute tell us, actually no deal. Ha Ha.

We should have told them today or you can keep him. Go for someone else with a bit of pace and an eye for goal.

36 minutes ago, UncleBingo said:

Regardless of it being NUFC who are in for him, it's a pretty shabby way to treat someone who has been there since he was 7.

It's the type of stunt you expect from the likes of Ashley, not Man United.

I think it will come back on them in the long run. Man U were the biggest and most glamorous club in England a decade ago, now they are getting outgunned in the transfer market, their petty squabling over money is making them look cheap. They should treat their long standing players with some respect if they want it in return.

We stay up, we could get him on a free anyway, we take him now on reasonable terms and we've played them twice already there's a chance we take points from teams around them. The only person that's affected by their stance is Lingard and after 22 years at the club he deserves to do what he wants, they clearly don't want him so paying his wages to sit the rest of the season out is nonsensical. 

I though the godfather of German football, while also their interim manager, was also advising them on the business side of things, surely if so, he’d be advising them to let a club sign Lingard with a reasonable loan fee, and paying his wages and letting that materialise into him leaving on a ‘free’ on good terms, given he has been at the club since 7? Man Utd have went royally to shit at every level since Fergie left, a joke club off the field that would even embarrass Ashley with some of the decision making going on there, or seemingly not going on. 

1 hour ago, Mattoon said:

We stay up, we could get him on a free anyway, we take him now on reasonable terms and we've played them twice already there's a chance we take points from teams around them. The only person that's affected by their stance is Lingard and after 22 years at the club he deserves to do what he wants, they clearly don't want him so paying his wages to sit the rest of the season out is nonsensical. 

If we stay up, we can do much better than him tbh. 

6 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I though the godfather of German football, while also their interim manager, was also advising them on the business side of things, surely if so, he’d be advising them to let a club sign Lingard with a reasonable loan fee, and paying his wages and letting that materialise into him leaving on a ‘free’ on good terms, given he has been at the club since 7? Man Utd have went royally to shit at every level since Fergie left, a joke club off the field that would even embarrass Ashley with some of the decision making going on there, or seemingly not going on. 

I think I read that Rangnick gave Lindgaard his blessing to leave, so I presume the pisstaking regarding the fee is solely down to the money men. As it has been for a while at that particular business/club.

11 minutes ago, Manxst said:

I think I read that Rangnick gave Lindgaard his blessing to leave, so I presume the pisstaking regarding the fee is solely down to the money men. As it has been for a while at that particular business/club.

Aye, but isn’t he there to also advise them on that front? Seems he has no more a say than any previous manager really despite his remit also being that of an adviser. 

Edited by HTT II

1 minute ago, HTT II said:

Aye, but isn’t he there to also advise them on that front? Seems he has no more a say than any previous manager really despite his remit also that of an adviser. 

He can advise all he wants (or all they want him to), but at the end of the day, it’s all about the £££’s for them. And even more so when they know we’ll be competition soon enough.