Jesse Lingard

5 hours ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

I think the big issue for Forest is that he’s signed a year deal, so he couldn’t really care less if they go down because he’ll be away anyway. Perhaps that’s reflected in his performances to date.

I think it was a great deal for Forest. Lingard has to do well if he wants to earn anywhere near 200k a week ever again. Forest got a proven theoretically highly motivated player basically for just the wages without further ties. For some reason it hasn't worked so far but it's too early to write either Forest or Lingard off IMO.

Money aside, no doubt as part of a 3 in the middle he'd have been at least useful. You can't tell me he'd not have been better than the Longstaff or Willock. Now though, not a chance. We're not fighting relegation, we want to push on and he's a yesterday player like Alli.

He's completely given up on the game. I wouldn't be surprised if he does a David Bentley and quits when it turns out no one is willing to offer him anywhere near what he earns now at the end of this season.

Unrecoverable IMO, although I think he was massively overrated when he was 'good'.

Edited by JumpersForGoalposts

• 1 month later...

Not an easy read that. I assume there will be other players going through similar issues as well 😩

Thing is you’ll still have some come out and say stuff like “what’s he got to be depressed about” depression in general still isn’t taken as seriously as it should be and mental health in football certainly isn’t. 

Good on him for speaking out, the more high profile people that do the better IMO.

29 minutes ago, Tisd09 said:

Not an easy read that. I assume there will be other players going through similar issues as well 😩

Thing is you’ll still have some come out and say stuff like “what’s he got to be depressed about” depression in general still isn’t taken as seriously as it should be and mental health in football certainly isn’t. 

Good on him for speaking out, the more high profile people that do the better IMO.

A close family member of mine is a household name. I spend a great deal of my time biting my tongue, including on here, to stop me getting radge on his behalf when I read or hear criticism because he’s not a fucking android who is immune to all the usual human frailties as the rest of us. Agree that his job means that he will be criticised and that’s fine, but seeing it from the other side and the pressure and expectations they are placed under has completed changed how I think about professionals in all sports. 
and no. I’m not saying who he is. 

1 hour ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

A close family member of mine is a household name. I spend a great deal of my time biting my tongue, including on here, to stop me getting radge on his behalf when I read or hear criticism because he’s not a fucking android who is immune to all the usual human frailties as the rest of us. Agree that his job means that he will be criticised and that’s fine, but seeing it from the other side and the pressure and expectations they are placed under has completed changed how I think about professionals in all sports. 
and no. I’m not saying who he is. 

I’ve seen close family members go through horrendous mental health battles and still do it’s horrible. 

There will be an added pressure of stardom as well 😩

hope your family member gets the support they need 👊🏽

3 minutes ago, Tisd09 said:

I’ve seen close family members go through horrendous mental health battles and still do it’s horrible. 

There will be an added pressure of stardom as well 😩

hope your family member gets the support they need 👊🏽

Thanks. He’s doing grand. It’s a lot harder than people realise though. He’s got balls of steel. 
I hope your family are getting looked after too. 

Edited by Mahoneys Tache

2 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Quite possible he would've done much better if he'd come here.

Yeah that could have been the case. You would imagine Eddie would have looked after him as well.

Not to be I guess, would have taken him last January for sure, that being said if it were a choice between him and Murphy I’d take Lingard (if the attitude was right of course) I assume it would be if Eddie signed him anyway!

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I generally dislike the tone of criticism against him TBH, but fans will be fans I guess. 

The dislike is weird tbh. He's not everyone's cup of tea but who is? It's a strange aggression for someone who I don't see doing much more than silly dances and trying to build a brand. Such a weird argument that because he does that he obviously doesn't spend enough time 'focusing' on his career, too.

The ship may have sailed as far as him being a useful acquisition for us but I wish him all the best whether with Forest or anywhere else.

Edited by wormy

This is what makes me so uncomfortable with the Harry Maguire abuse to be honest. Let's be fair, it's been pretty much bullying. He's just another bloke like us who happens to be playing football professionally. He isn't a robot, just a human being who's not been performing his job at a high level. The line has been crossed with him in my opinion.

I totally get that he's been largely shit for a while, but this era of being able to connect with footballers on social media is more of a curse than a blessing. I think I'd be in the minority of footballers and would not have social media if I was professional. I don't think Rodri does (may be wrong) and there will be others. It's probably a good thing if they're able to disconnect.

Would love it if he had a belter World Cup and scores an important goal for England to send us through or something.

2 hours ago, Chicken Dancer said:

This is what makes me so uncomfortable with the Harry Maguire abuse to be honest. Let's be fair, it's been pretty much bullying. He's just another bloke like us who happens to be playing football professionally. He isn't a robot, just a human being who's not been performing his job at a high level. The line has been crossed with him in my opinion.

I totally get that he's been largely shit for a while, but this era of being able to connect with footballers on social media is more of a curse than a blessing. I think I'd be in the minority of footballers and would not have social media if I was professional. I don't think Rodri does (may be wrong) and there will be others. It's probably a good thing if they're able to disconnect.

Would love it if he had a belter World Cup and scores an important goal for England to send us through or something.

Manquillo, Burn, Shelvey and Ritchie are the ones in our squad who don't have any social media. 

3 hours ago, Chicken Dancer said:

hence why i absolutely hate the abuse some of our players get on here.

any below par performance and its on.