Leeds United 0 - 1 Newcastle United (22/01/2022)

Yorkie

5 minutes ago, Mattoon said:

Some big performances today, Schar motm for me, Shelvey just behind and Willock after spending the first 30 minutes frustrating everyone comes off looking more like the Willock we were desperate to spend £20m on. Even though Longstafg had a decent game by his standard, Mank looked 10x better than Dummett when he came on and even Clark was solid. Wood won a lot of long balls but wasn't much use after that, ASM poor today.

Was going to say Schar was immense in the second half. Gets a lot of stick sometimes for leaving a man, but the number of times he ends up covering for Lascelles must make decision making a nightmare for the bloke.

5 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Dubravka 7

Trippier 7.5

Lascelles 7/Clark 7

Schar 7.5

Dummett 6/ Manquillo 8 (was so impressed with his sub performance)

Fraser 6.5

Joelinton 7/Longstaff 7

Shelvey 7

Willock 7.5

Wood 5

Saint-Maximin 5

Dubravka 7

Trippier 7.5 (Massive improvement 2nd half)

Lascelles 7/Clark 6

Schar 7.5 (Best game hes had for us in a while)

Dummett 7/ Manquillo 7 (Both pretty solid vs Raphina imo) 

Fraser 6

Joelinton 7/Longstaff 7

Shelvey 8.5  (MOTM, goal or not)

Willock 7.5 (So good off the ball + his runs, struggled in first half but 2nd half immense)

Wood 7 (Everything he did that wasnt in front of goal was on point, he really holds it up/flicks it on well to link our attack up when we struggle building from midfield)

Saint-Maximin 6 (Pretty bad until final 15 mins)

Edited by Nine

Win and a clean sheet, what can you say. A game to savour!

We were denied a clear pen, but I'm also pleased VAR did not look at our goal too closely, because someone offside might have got a touch on it.

Great fighting performance from the lads, and finally some positivity to build on. A first away win! We now have a break and lets hope we have some new arrivals during it.

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Dubravka 7

Trippier 7.5

Lascelles 7/Clark 7

Schar 7.5

Dummett 6/ Manquillo 8 (was so impressed with his sub performance)

Fraser 6.5

Joelinton 7/Longstaff 7

Shelvey 7

Willock 7.5

Wood 5

Saint-Maximin 5

Shocked at that.

Huge huge win, I was critical of the first-half performance especially, but right now fuck performances over wins, give me wins, absolutely delighted, well done Howe, the coaches and the players. That was some shift in the second half by all of them and we defended really well at times, Leeds are shit mind, but we still found it tough against their reserves basically. 

Edited by HTT II

I'm drained now like. It wasn't a pretty performance by any means but we showed heart and that means everything. Jonjo punching the air and leaping off the ground at the final whistle was priceless. 

3 minutes ago, Nine said:

Aye seen Dummet get alot of flack today, thought he was solid enough vs Raphina. Never going to come out clean against a player like that

He definitely wasn't like. Raphina got past him every single time. He misplaced passes in familiar fashion and almost cocked it up with the ball to Dubs. He doesn't have the recovery pace anymore either. Game changed when Manquillo came on isn't a coincidence. He's a lame horse that needs to be put out of it's misery. Awful player.

Guest reefatoon

A cracking result that. Great to see them battling away to the end. Going to enjoy a fair few beers tonight. Enjoy the weekend folks!

GET THE FUCK IN!!! 

I fucking love football :lol: You really have no idea what to expect. 

Fully expected us to get stuffed. And for the first 30 minutes, it looked like we were going to be. But we really grew into the game, every one of the lads. The more we grew in confidence, the more Leeds retreated. 

The one player who epitomized this in-game growth was Willock. Began the game a little lethargic and felt like it was going to be the same old from him, but then he began to stretch them. His runs were incisive, his passing effortless, and he should’ve scored in the end with that beautiful passage of play with ASM. 

Now onto Wood. He finally offers us a focal point at the tip of our formation, and in doing so occupies at least one defender at all times, leaving the likes of ASM and Fraser to run into space. However, for a majority of the game, he lacked any and all instincts that make up a striker. “Wood was on his heels,” as the commentator put it during one half chance where he could have pressured their defender on the line. But it just feels good to have A body up there now. And I am hoping he comes good in the way of better positioning, goals and killer instinct. 

Guest reefatoon
1 minute ago, Rod said:

All you doomongers that thought we were playing Barcelona today ........ up yours!

Go on Rowdy Roddy Pooper lad, fucking do em.