Leeds United 0 - 1 Newcastle United (22/01/2022)

Yorkie

Just now, Conjo said:

He definitely wasn't like. Raphina got past him every single time. He misplaced passes in familiar fashion and almost cocked it up with the ball to Dubs. He doesn't have the recovery pace anymore either. Game changed when Manquillo came on isn't a coincidence. He's a lame horse that needs to be put out of it's misery. Awful player.

Its not the first time. He was caught out so many times from the wingers against Watford too. Dummett isnt a great defender, decent in the air, but slow, terrible marking. No wonder the left got safer when Manq came in and fucked Raphina off.

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Manquillo didn't put a single foot wrong when he came on. I'm almost certain he blocked 100% of the attempts to either get past him or cross pass him, then used the ball well when he had it. 

He looked fantastic, like a Rolls Royce full back compared to what we've been watching. 

Just now, Mattoon said:

ASM let the game and more pertinently the ref get to him and he dropped, decision making (bar the Willock chance) is getting worse too, he needs to start trusting his team mates more.

I thought he was his least selfish today. Passed many times to other players.

1 minute ago, Conjo said:

He definitely wasn't like. Raphina got past him every single time. He misplaced passes in familiar fashion and almost cocked it up with the ball to Dubs. He doesn't have the recovery pace anymore either. Game changed when Manquillo came on isn't a coincidence. He's a lame horse that needs to be put out of it's misery. Awful player.

Didnt think he was as bad as that [emoji38] Aye he got his arse ripped apart a few times in first 25 mins but generally thought he wasnt terrible. Manqy did look better though 

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Manquillo didn't put a single foot wrong when he came on. I'm almost certain he blocked 100% of the attempts to either get past him or cross pass him, then used the ball well when he had it. 

Mystifying that he hasn't been an automatic starter when fit, tbh. 

8 minutes ago, hakka said:

Shocked at that.

He would have had 2 assists, if we had a competant striker.
And that pen.

He's headless at times but my goodness this team needs his unpredictability.

Edited by JUICE690

Fair play to Willock, bust a gut in that second half , made up for the first .

And ……special mention to Longstaff, much better kid , just get stuck the fuck in and make it hard for them .

Well happy with that second half , effort, fight , wanting it .

Fantastic and I’m off to get pissed .

Edited by GWN

Just now, RodneyCisse said:

Game management at the end was 100 times better than vs Watford and who was off the pitch….

It was a pretty anxious finish I thought... Occasionally managed to keep the ball in their half, at other times just gave it straight back to them for no apparent reason. Benefit of the doubt though, they were probably fucked and naturally nervous. Huge credit to them for finally seeing a game out. 

4 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Always been a big Dummett defender but it was night and day when Manquillo came on like.

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Dubravka 7

Trippier 7.5

Lascelles 7/Clark 7

Schar 7.5

Dummett 6/ Manquillo 8 (was so impressed with his sub performance)

Fraser 6.5

Joelinton 7/Longstaff 7

Shelvey 7

Willock 7.5

Wood 5

Saint-Maximin 5

Have to disagree with that. Saint-Maximin isnt perfect and won't chase lost causes. But he should have had 2 assists this match if our midfield could finish. Putting him alongside Wood who had the ball bounce off him every time it was played to him is very harsh. :)

I'll give it a go too!

Dubs - 8 - huge save in the first half.

Trippier - 7

Lascelles - 6, had a few wobbly moments

Clark - 7, was too busy jumping around to notice him.

Schar - 9, motm by far for me. so composed and didnt put a foot wrong in defense

Dummett - 6

Manq - 8

Shelvey - 7

Longstaff - 8, ran from start to finish

Willock - 6, shit in the first half but grew in to the game and ran until the 95th. I think he is a weak player in duels and so frustrating at times, but seems to need a lot of confidence to get going. Also pretty terrible end prodcut mostly

Fraser - 5, runs and runs, but no end product, good understanding with trippier though.

Maxi - 8, frustrating when he doesnt chase down, but should have had a penalty and also a few free-kicks in dangerous areas but the ref was playing for Leeds. Seems to be our only end-product, and Arguably both Fraser and especially Willock should have scored from his lay-offs.

Wood - 6, Doesnt lack for effort and won some duels. Also fouled the opposition a few times and didnt have the best touch. Clearly not our end-game in the striker department.

Just now, JUICE690 said:

He would have had 2 assists if we had a competant striker.
And that pen.

He's headless at times but my goodnes this team needs his unpredictability.

Aye, I thought he had a decent game and was very creative.

Just now, Jordan said:

Refs should be doing post match interviews. Should be explaining how that wasn’t a pen and where the fuck 5 mins AET came from. 

Ref today was absolutely honking, imagine that free kick hadnt gone in and he didnt give that pen

Always been a fan of the manky looking little tramp. Looks either like a stoner or a bum, but there was a face he pulled when he first came on that reminded me of Keanu Reeves, which made it all make sense.

2 minutes ago, Conjo said:

I know Howe seems set on a back four, and Dummett might be out again, but Manquillo on the left with Dummett on the left of a back 3 is probably our best option. 

Or we could sign a left footed CB in the next week.

Schar was superb I thought. Possibly MOTM, although Willock seemed to be collecting power ups and getting better and covering more ground as the game went on.

Longstaff had his Weetabix this morning. Arguably improved after he came on. 

Dubs back to his old self. 

Fucking over the moon with that. Finally managed to win an ugly, tight game, when things went against us with 3 enforced subs. 

I Would have preferred an easy 3-0. But this might just possibly give them the belief that they can actually protect a lead and see a game out. 

1 minute ago, reefatoon said:

Go on Rowdy Roddy Pooper lad, fucking do em.

Thank you.  I'm just so sick of the negative posters on here who will claim to be realists.  Well they are not, they are defeatists.  Talking up Leeds as if they were world beaters.  It was like listening to Bruce!

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Manquillo’s been one of our best servants all the time he’s been here TBH. Generally solid player. 

Was shite for a fair while at the start like when we only used him as a LB. Since moving to RB he did well and now has more confidence when switched to the left as well

Just now, Nine said:

Ref today was absolutely honking, imagine that free kick hadnt gone in and he didnt give that pen

It’s not just this game though, officiating has potentially cost us crucial points this season. Fraser was blatantly fouled three games in a row in box that were stonewall pens and not given. Theres no point in VAR if they also don’t have the balls to highlight clear decisions that the refs missed.