Newcastle United vs. Everton 08/02/2022 @ 7.45pm (BT)

LRD

2 minutes ago, Phoenix711 said:

18th + 1 point doesn't take you to 17th. 18th + 1 means 18th place + 1 point = you replace 18th place i.e. there are still 17 teams above you.

So take last year, if you had 29 points (18th + 1) you would be 18th. You would need 39 points or more to survive. 

Are you a mackem?

If you weren't one of the bottom 3 sides last year and had 29 points, you would have survived. 

57 minutes ago, Phoenix711 said:

18th + 1 point doesn't take you to 17th. 18th + 1 means 18th place + 1 point = you replace 18th place i.e. there are still 17 teams above you.

So take last year, if you had 29 points (18th + 1) you would be 18th. You would need 39 points or more to survive. 

Ace posts, POTY and all that stuff.

Not been this pumped up for a Toon game in years and this is the first time in a decade I’ve had to cancel our Tuesday 5-a-side because of a Newcastle match. This is how I feel now, these days:

Oh, now feel it comin' back again
Like a rollin' thunder chasing the wind

Forces pullin' from the center of the Earth again

I can feel it
I can feel it

Edited by HTT II

7 hours ago, Phoenix711 said:

Last year Fulham finished 18th with 28 points, Burnley finished 17th with 39. We were higher with 45. If our 45 was in fact 29 we would have been safe in 17th

11 minutes ago, NWMag said:

Last year Fulham finished 18th with 28 points, Burnley finished 17th with 39. We were higher with 45. If our 45 was in fact 29 we would have been safe in 17th

You're looking at it wrong. You've taken a team who were already safe and put them at the bottom of the safe pile. Relegation is irrelevant to teams who are safe. You need to take a team in relegation and see what they need to be safe.

So look at a team which is 18th, 19th or 20th and then what would they need to be safe? The answer isn't 1 point more than 18th (unless 17th had the same points as 18th), it's 1 point more than 17th or 17th's points with a better goal difference.

Just look at us now, we are 19th and in relegation. We need to do whatever it takes to get to 17th which means we need to look at what 17th has got and add 1 point to be mathematically guaranteed (ignoring goal difference to keep it simple). 18th is technically irrelevant as you can see last year where 18th was 11 points behind 17th.

16 hours ago, cubaricho said:

I know I keep banging this particular drum, but we have dropped 21 points from winning positions this season - before the transfer window too - so I think it’s safe to say that with the new boys we can win matches like this one.

Howay the fucking lads y’all.

"Howay the lads y'all" :lol:

Got to be the official motto of the American South Toon Army.