Newcastle United vs. Everton 08/02/2022 @ 7.45pm (BT)

LRD

3 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

This match will be won on the training ground this week. Whoever integrates their new signings the quickest. We do have the home advantage.

Neither of their big signings have kicked a ball in anger for a while so that must be to our advantage 

I want to see Willock advanced for this, although Bruce was shite, he clearly got a tune out of Willock.

Maybe even Joe and Bruno breaking up play and creating, and Willock getting forward.

That would mean dropping Shelvey,  and it appears Howe likes Jonjo, so doubt we'll see those three in the middle.

If Wood’s out I’d stick Joelinton up just as a presence, put Willock literally off him with Shelvey & Bruno in the middle and ASM & Fraser out wide. I know a Joelinton is a shit striker but for one game I’d prefer him to Gayle or moving ASM there. He’s also playing with a lot of confidence just now. 

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

If Wood’s out I’d stick Joelinton up just as a presence, put Willock literally off him with Shelvey & Bruno in the middle and ASM & Fraser out wide. I know a Joelinton is a shit striker but for one game I’d prefer him to Gayle or moving ASM there. He’s also playing with a lot of confidence just now. 

Tend to agree, he certainly has a better chance with Bruno to pass to him. 

9 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

It'll be interesting to see what impact Lampard bas on Everton. You'd imagine he'll have them playing higher up the pitch, but hopefully there's no immediate bounce.

Quite glad they have a cup game before we play them tbh 

Guest reefatoon
1 hour ago, Scoot said:

I'm already a bit nervous for this 1. 

Aye, was hoping they hadn't brought a new manager and signings in. They are going to have their tails up now too.

1 minute ago, Dr Venkman said:

If he starts Shelvey, fair enough. If he starts Lascelles I want him sacked [emoji38]

There's not much between Schar and Lascelles. Schar is much better with the ball at his feet but is Lascelles much better in the air. Neither are good enough, long term.

I don't see the choice between Schar and Lascelles a decisive factor in our survival. I think how we integrate the new players in the team and how we defend/attack as a unit will be the key.

Bruno is a game changer for me. We might not score many more goals but I suspect we can shut teams out more efficiently.

1 minute ago, reefatoon said:

Aye, was hoping they hadn't brought a new manager and signings in. They are going to have their tails up now too.

I expect Lampard to gee them up for this, but I hope it is to their detriment. I expect them to leave a lot of gaps for us to exploit. I think Howe's approach will be more measured and focussed.

Guest reefatoon
1 minute ago, Happinesstan said:

I expect Lampard to gee them up for this, but I hope it is to their detriment. I expect them to leave a lot of gaps for us to exploit. I think Howe's approach will be more measured and focussed.

Hope so.

10 minutes ago, STM said:

There's not much between Schar and Lascelles. Schar is much better with the ball at his feet but is Lascelles much better in the air. Neither are good enough, long term.

I don't see the choice between Schar and Lascelles a decisive factor in our survival. I think how we integrate the new players in the team and how we defend/attack as a unit will be the key.

Bruno is a game changer for me. We might not score many more goals but I suspect we can shut teams out more efficiently.

He can’t pass the ball over ten yards without getting us in the shit man. He’s visibly completely shot and he’s been even worse since Howe took over because he wants them to play it out from the back. He needs to be dropped.

5 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

I actually think that Howe's style lends itself to a more sustained improvement over time  when he can imbue the squad with his philosophy.  The fact that we never got a new manager bounce might point to that, he's not a shouter/motivator in the way that Gerrard and Lampard probably are.  They get quick results but it could wear off in time, I think Howe is a builder not a town cryer.

How that leaves next Tuesday is a tight one, they will get a bounce from lampard and we should be more in tune with what Howe expects,  could be a tough one, and a draw 

1 minute ago, 1964 said:

I actually think that Howe's style lends itself to a more sustained improvement over time  when he can imbue the squad with his philosophy.  The fact that we never got a new manager bounce might point to that, he's not a shouter/motivator in the way that Gerrard and Lampard probably are.  They get quick results but it could wear off in time, I think Howe is a builder not a town cryer.

How that leaves next Tuesday is a tight one, they will get a bounce from lampard and we should be more in tune with what Howe expects,  could be a tough one, and a draw 

Yeah, that's my feeling. I think Howe has been here long enough for his methods to have sunk in enough to counter any new manager bounce that Lampard provides. Alli could be a real threat to us, but I hope he will be too highly strung to focus., or Bruno can nullify him. Don't much like the idea of Shelvey re-engaging.

6 minutes ago, 1964 said:

Good analysis, cracking post

13 hours ago, huss9 said:

less confident now we'll be facing a fit DCL and a midfield od Alli/VDB backedup by Gray and Townsend.

Yeah not really fancying this at all. They have far more goal threat than us. Hopefully they are still tragic at the back, and we can find someone to cash in on it.

Think I'd start with this.

Dubs

Schar Lascelles Burn

Trippier            Bruno             Target

Shelvey       Joelinton

ASM

Wood

In order to absorb their early enthusiasm. Gives us good counter attacking options but we could also control the middle if we click.

If we need to change things up:

Dubs

Trippier  Lascelles  Burn Targett

Bruno

Willock      Joelinton

Fraser                                  ASM

Wood

If we need a goal the added wide player will be useful, and if we need to tighten up, a little, Fraser's work-rate and burst of pace will be invaluable.

Edited by Happinesstan

Everton have sat way too deep this season, exposing a really suspect defence. Keane is having a nightmare of a season while Godfrey has struggled with long COVID. I expect Lampard will try to change that and encourage them to play further up the pitch.

The midfield has also looked quite disjointed. While VdB and Alli might help, they've had so little playing time, it won't gel overnight. The pick of the bunch, Doucoure is missing through injury.

That said they pose plenty of threat. Grey is having a good season while Richarlison and DCL are always a handful. Benitez was quite unapologetic about being direct and getting the ball into the box, so it'll be quite interesting to see if Lampard persists with this. He was often accused of lacking a philosophy at Chelsea, so he's a bit of an unknown quantity.

I think it's a tricky game to call, but we have been relatively hard to beat at home and are unbeaten in three. I'm unsure if they'll bounce under Lampard, but they'll certainly carry threat going forward. I think we might play with a bit more confidence here and I fancy us to just about nick the win in front of a bouncing SJP: 2-1.

The biggest boon of the transfer window is that we seem to have bought the right type of characters, strong-minded individuals that can, hopefully handle the situation. We were getting there already, Lascelles was pretty solid against Leeds, but I still worry he might have cracked in the last minute.

We will definitely need a composed defence for the first quarter of an hour, at least. Burn and Targett, I believe, will contribute to that, but I would keep Schar and Lascelles in the team to keep a bit of the team spirit that has developed. Similarly with Shelvey, he doesn't deserve to be dropped and if he can prove effective amongst our new signings, brilliant. 

13 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Think I'd start with this.

Dubs

Schar Lascelles Burn

Trippier            Bruno             Target

Shelvey       Joelinton

ASM

Wood

In order to absorb their early enthusiasm. Gives us good counter attacking options but we could also control the middle if we click.

If we need to change things up:

Dubs

Trippier  Lascelles  Burn Targett

Bruno

Willock      Joelinton

Fraser                                  ASM

Wood

If we need a goal the added wide player will be useful, and if we need to tighten up, a little, Fraser's work-rate and burst of pace will be invaluable.

I like the idea of a back three with those players, good balance, id say all three players are more comfortable in those positions than a two, provides cover for the wing backs and with Bruno sitting in front it should make it a lot tougher for teams to play straight through us.

It would also get our best crosser of the ball higher up the pitch on the right.

Still think we’ll play with a back 4 like. 

Either way. Just win. Don’t care how. Just win.