Newcastle United vs. Everton 08/02/2022 @ 7.45pm (BT)

LRD

I just had a quick scan of Lampard's first few results at Derby and Chelsea:

Derby: WLLWW

Chelsea: LDWDW

That's with two of the better sides in their respective divisions. It certainly doesn't suggest there will be too much of a bounce. Fingers crossed.

Dubravka

Trippier   Schar     Burn  Targett

Bruno

Joe           Willock

ASM                                  Fraser

Wood

Dubravka

Schar-Lascelles-Burn

Trippier                                            Targett

Bruno

Willock                       Joelinton

St Max

Wood        

Just can't see Shelvey being left out. As much as I'd like to see it.

Part of me would like to see him and Lascelles pick up minor knocks and force Eddie into something he will eventually do anyway.

3 hours ago, STM said:

Part of me would like to see him and Lascelles pick up minor knocks and force Eddie into something he will eventually do anyway.

Shelvey has been our best or 2nd best player since Howe, not sure what games some have you been watching. Who else will play instead in a 3, Willock has had one OK half all season, Longstaff has been poor. Not sure the logic of leaving one of inform players out because he was poor before the new manager. Bruno can only improve him as he and big Joe will do more of the donkey work. 

4 hours ago, STM said:

absolutely this. there’s no way he’ll be getting dropped. I’m not a fan of his by any stretch, but it’s fair to say he’s improved under Howe. Bruno will be taking the Longstaff/Willock slot.

Lascelles is the interesting one. he should be getting benched for Burn, but I can’t see that happening either. hopefully we’re pleasantly surprised!

29 minutes ago, HWTL said:

Shelvey has been our best or 2nd best player since Howe, not sure what games some have you been watching. Who else will play instead in a 3, Willock has had one OK half all season, Longstaff has been poor. Not sure the logic of leaving one of inform players out because he was poor before the new manager. Bruno can only improve him as he and big Joe will do more of the donkey work. 

Absolutely bang on.  Shelvey seems to attract a load of abuse on here for whatever reason but has been good since the Howe appointment.  He can do a job although still suspect with his fitness/stamina.  I think the Shelvey haters are the same Joelinton worshippers in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Rod said:

Absolutely bang on.  Shelvey seems to attract a load of abuse on here for whatever reason but has been good since the Howe appointment.  He can do a job although still suspect with his fitness/stamina.  I think the Shelvey haters are the same Joelinton worshippers in my opinion.

He’s terrible, go look at his stats which were posted when we signed Bruno, he’s one of the worst midfielders in the league. 

Shelvey has 1 good game every 9 or 10 games and everyone thinks he's good, then he is useless for 7 or 8 matches before his 1 good game and everyone thinks he's good (and repeat).

If the keeper had stopped his freekick as he should have at Leeds, we'd be reading less about how class he is.

Its a bang average midfielder, liable to be sent off.

There's nothing suspect about Shelvey's fitness, stamina and work ethic; we can see how shocking he is. He basically sits in front of the defence and plays simple passes due to his limitation in the middle of the park and isn't particularly defensively sound either. There's the odd good performance every now and then, but he reverts to type soon enough.

Extremely frustrating player. Semi-useful until end of season due to lack of options but we should replace him in the summer.

Edited by LRD

6 hours ago, STM said:

I'd agree with that. He's not going in my 11 but Howe will likely start him. Unfortunately. 

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

4 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

I'd agree with that. He's not going in my 11 but Howe will likely start him. Unfortunately. 

Yeah, we need to see how it plays out either way. Howe is the manager and it’s his choice. Ultimately if he selects Shelvey and it looks dysfunctional then he has to own it. 

Imagine Bruno and Joelinton doing all the hard work running around, try to make things happen, only for Shelvey sitting behind them doing nothing and gesturing to them where to run.

I think Shelvey has had a bit of a resurgence under Howe and with better players around him now he will get better.....but I think he will be sold off at the end of the season as we go on another, more structured recruitment campaign...... but he will do a job for now.

3 hours ago, LRD said:

Imagine Bruno and Joelinton doing all the hard work running around, try to make things happen, only for Shelvey sitting behind them doing nothing and gesturing to them where to run.

I think Shelvey will be in just long enough till Howe is assured Bruno gets the tempo and physicality. Hopefully the entire team gets to be better for having someone like Bruno in there.

The problem with having Shelvey in a three man midfield with Bruno and Joe, is that there's absolutely no goal threat from any of them. We already have a front three who seem to be playing in their own zones with little awareness of each other. It's why we were trying to sign Lingard I imagine, so I'd be tempted to give Willock that role and see if he can't fill that space. 

4 hours ago, TRon said:

The problem with having Shelvey in a three man midfield with Bruno and Joe, is that there's absolutely no goal threat from any of them. We already have a front three who seem to be playing in their own zones with little awareness of each other. It's why we were trying to sign Lingard I imagine, so I'd be tempted to give Willock that role and see if he can't fill that space. 

I'd like to think having Bruno in there gives more of a goal threat throughout.

Shelvey is one of the biggest problems in the team because so much of our play goes through him and he's so often just sloppy, if not dropping outright clangers. If there's someone better than him in the side against Watford I'm certain we close that game out. He sets the tone and is one of the biggest reasons why we shit ourselves when we're leading. 

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Shelvey is one of the biggest problems in the team because so much of our play goes through him and he's so often just sloppy, if not dropping outright clangers. If there's someone better than him in the side against Watford I'm certain we close that game out. He sets the tone and is one of the biggest reasons why we shit ourselves when we're leading. 

I've hated him for much of our tenure. He has been a bit better under Howe, but I still want him gone for a far better player all round. He is deficiencies outweigh his benefits, especially defensively.

31 minutes ago, madras said:

I'd like to think having Bruno in there gives more of a goal threat throughout.

Assuming someone is there on the end of the chances he will help create. I've seen us put crosses into the box before where absolutely no one is in there attacking the ball.

Wood will look to get on the end of them, but in two games so far, he's been pretty easily contained.

36 minutes ago, TRon said:

Assuming someone is there on the end of the chances he will help create. I've seen us put crosses into the box before where absolutely no one is in there attacking the ball.

Wood will look to get on the end of them, but in two games so far, he's been pretty easily contained.

That may be down to it being obvious the type of ball we'd put in. Last season when Willock played further up we had more options. We need that centre midfield to be breaking towards the edge of the box.