Bruno Guimarães

Fantail Breeze

If Bruno starts it will be Willock who misses out, he has been garbage all season apart from an OK second half against Leeds.

That's the position we've needed strengthening as neither Longstaff, Willock or Miggy have done anything when they have been played. 

If anything Longsaff has shown more at times as atleast he has been closing down but there passing had been awful and ball retention just as bad. Hopefully Willock will push on but but if any players miss out it should be Willock or Longstaff. 

Great to see the video of him meeting his teammates. I'm sure it will help having Joelinton there but also that he's not the only new kid here.

I'm really pleased with the increased social media/video clips/official websites pieces since the takeover. It makes you feel like you're involved so much more with the club and the team. 

3 minutes ago, HWTL said:

If Bruno starts it will be Willock who misses out, he has been garbage all season apart from an OK second half against Leeds.

That's the position we've needed strengthening as neither Longstaff, Willock or Miggy have done anything when they have been played. 

If anything Longsaff has shown more at times as atleast he has been closing down but there passing had been awful and ball retention just as bad. Hopefully Willock will push on but but if any players miss out it should be Willock or Longstaff. 

Willock took us from being relegated to comfortable with his goals last season.  It's in him but we haven't been creating this season and I think he is carrying an injury so might have lost that half a yard to break from midfield.  

This surpasses Owen levels of excitement.

Largely because Bruno isn't a micey little cunt.

Honestly think this signing is transformative.  We've plucked a superstar midfielder and hoyed him into a struggling side. It's going to be fascinating to see how this unfolds. Genuinely can't see a scenario where we don't improve.

9 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

Willock took us from being relegated to comfortable with his goals last season.  It's in him but we haven't been creating this season and I think he is carrying an injury so might have lost that half a yard to break from midfield.  

Howe isn't going to drop Shelvey and big Joe will be expected to arrive late in the box, Bruno looks like he can also add some extra forward runs. Most on here don't like Shelvey but he is on form and been very good of late and I'm sure Howe and his staff know that and he won't be dropped. 

Edited by HWTL

28 minutes ago, HWTL said:

Howe isn't going to drop Shelvey and big Joe will be expected to arrive late in the box, Bruno looks like he can also add some extra forward runs. Most on here don't like Shelvey but he is on form and been very good of late and I'm sure Howe and his staff know that and he won't be dropped. 

Has Shelvey been very good of late? He was good against Leeds but was tragic against Watford. Wasn't there a stat that he made 3 successful challenges in the entire 90 mins?

22 minutes ago, STM said:

Honestly think this signing is transformative.  We've plucked a superstar midfielder and hoyed him into a struggling side. It's going to be fascinating to see how this unfolds. Genuinely can't see a scenario where we don't improve.

Ah, to see once more through such sweet and unburdened eyes as yours.

There are untold scenarios where not only do we not improve, but the suffering continues and grows.

Like some fecund form of bind weed, unclean and grasping, spawned from the fetid loins of a Michael Owen or a Michael Ashley, spreading its leaden mass from Four Lane Ends to the blasted heath's of Benwell.

We mew and raise a desperate cheer from the sidelines as the clouds break and your hope dances and soars towards the blue, but know in in our hearts that the storm is rising, the wings will fold, and the small songbirds body will once more be dashed upon the paving stones of Barrack Road.

Just now, The Prophet said:

Patience may be required, but its assumed players from abroad always need an adjustment period when it isn't always the case. 

Hopefully he comes in like Tiote and Cabaye did. They were straight in and up to speed. 

16 minutes ago, healthyaddiction said:

Has Shelvey been very good of late? He was good against Leeds but was tragic against Watford. Wasn't there a stat that he made 3 successful challenges in the entire 90 mins?

I agree wasn't the best against Watford but since Howe had Been in he has been one of best performers. He isn't really there to break up play and if he is then there's something wrong. I'm just saying he won't be dropped and in my opinion he shouldn't be, Nice to have options though if he isn't contributing to bring on Willock or even for more threat in the box once opposition tiring.

56 minutes ago, STM said:

I’m sure I was one of the only fans not excited by Owen. I don’t live in the North East. So I find it odd when people go on about it. Never felt a buzz or anything when he came in. 

Not that I’m a shrewd judge or anything. I was more excited by Oba Martins signing and I said after about 5-6 games, that Bassong would be and I quote “one of the best centre backs in the world” :lol: 

23 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

I’m sure I was one of the only fans not excited by Owen. I don’t live in the North East. So I find it odd when people go on about it. Never felt a buzz or anything when he came in. 

Not that I’m a shrewd judge or anything. I was more excited by Oba Martins signing and I said after about 5-6 games, that Bassong would be and I quote “one of the best centre backs in the world” :lol: 

Don’t worry, years before that I told my mate that SBR was going to make Lomana Tresor Lualua (think that was his full name?) the best player in the world full stop just after we signed him! Didn’t turn out so well that prediction lmao 

1 minute ago, Skirge said:

Does Bruno compliment Shelvey or show him up ? Last thing we need is Shelvey trying outdo Bruno's passing range. Been nice of late to see Shelvey not trying to hit constant magic long balls.

I think that's more down to a change in tactics than Shelveys ego.

Hopefully they'll compliment each other, then Bruno takes that role 

7 hours ago, greydos said:

Don’t worry, years before that I told my mate that SBR was going to make Lomana Tresor Lualua (think that was his full name?) the best player in the world full stop just after we signed him! Didn’t turn out so well that prediction lmao 

LuaLua says he should never have left and it pretty much ruined his career

10 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

LuaLua says he should never have left and it pretty much ruined his career

I’m sure a combination of Souness, Roeder and Big Sam would have done the same had he stayed…

Edited by HTT II

He looks like a great signing, of course, but it will be a challenge for Howe in trying to work out the best combination around him.

I'd put in ASM and Fraser, because I think we need their pace. Almiron in reserve. 

Then it's two from Joelinton, Shelvey, Longstaff and Willock, and that's tricky. I'd pick Joelinton, because despite his clumsiness, he makes things happen. Finally, I'd go for Longstaff. I think it's time for him to step up and show what he's got. 

We looked more balanced in the 2nd half at Leeds with Longstaff in the midfield. If we’re going to become a possession based team, i’d probably swap Longstaff for Bruno as the only change.

Not a big fan of Shelvey, but being realistic Howe isn’t dropping him this season. Then for me it’s a choice between Willock and Joelinton, based on his 2nd half performance at Leeds I’d give Willock another chance. Joelinton is a very good option off the bench when the game is more broken, but getting Willock scoring again would be massive in the run in.

Dubravka 

Trippier Schar Burn Targett

Shelvey Guimaraes Willock

Fraser Wood ASM

Willock grew and grew into the last game, and he needs that license to roam forward more. Tough call leaving Joelinton on the bench, but I think the balance of the team calls for it. 

First time in a long time that the team and formation doesn’t pick itself.