Bruno Guimarães

Fantail Breeze

10 hours ago, The Prophet said:

"The fans are crazy about me, and nothing beats that in football. Honestly, I get so much love out on the streets that sometimes it feels like I’m the mayor of the city!"

:lol:

SO STOP THE FUCKING BOOING AND THE FUCKING PANT-SHITTING!

we're on the up!

"I can play both positions. I prefer to play the No.8. The No.6 I can help the team to move forward with the ball. I think the gaffer has a choice, I can play every position in midfield. I have played more in a No.8. But it is not a problem for me.

"We are disappointed with our start to the season (from a points perspective). We need to play better.

"All the teams will do this now (sit deep and frustrate us) and we need to create alternatives. We are disappointed because we are creating opportunities, we just didn’t score. We lost two more points at home on Saturday. This cannot happen.

"I was injured in the Man City game. I then tried to play in the Tranmere game (three days later). When I needed to run, I felt it a lot. For me, I thought I was just tired and I didn't know I was even injured.

"After the Tranmere game, I spoke to the doctor and I wanted a scan. When we saw the scan we thought it (the injury) was small, but it was big.

"I feel better now, I feel OK. It wasn’t my best game on Saturday, my first back after injury. I did not play for 20 days. Now I try to re-find my rhythm.

"These are two big games, important games for us,’ he said. ‘I have to guarantee my place ahead of the World Cup. It is my dream to play, my obsession now. When I was a kid I always dreamed of this moment, and it's coming."

Yeah, imo in an ideal world if Bruno can show consistent form that we saw last season then this is what we are building towards - 

Maddison (or?)        Bruno

Elite DM

but for perhaps the shorter term 

Maddison (or?)    Joe

Bruno

Edited by Nine

Not that it matters much, but I’m not a fan of the one-man one-role notions for a midfield three. Bruno, as he says and as we’ve seen, can do everything required. Joelinton is very strong on some attributes and, oddly given why we bought him, less reliable in terms of finishing and creating opportunities for others.

Another one to join who is a bit of an all rounder (athletic, can tackle, pick a pass, calm head, good tactical awareness), but stronger in terms of creativity and finishing than Joelinton, and we have a fluid flexible trio who are much harder to mark/generally cope with. I hope this is the plan, rather than bringing someone in to mainly sit and mop-up so Bruno can go. 

5 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Not that it matters much, but I’m not a fan of the one-man one-role notions for a midfield three. Bruno, as he says and as we’ve seen, can do everything required. Joelinton is very strong on some attributes and, oddly given why we bought him, less reliable in terms of finishing and creating opportunities for others.

Another one to join who is a bit of an all rounder (athletic, can tackle, pick a pass, calm head, good tactical awareness), but stronger in terms of creativity and finishing than Joelinton, and we have a fluid flexible trio who are much harder to mark/generally cope with. I hope this is the plan, rather than bringing someone in to mainly sit and mop-up so Bruno can go. 

That was my dream for Paqueta. A midfield trio working hard for, and with, each other. I think Maddison could do it, but the Brazilian trio looked perfect to me.

Right now Maddison is the obvious choice [if he's interested] but there could easily be a new target come January.

There's probably a middle ground. I agree we don't necessarily need a purely defensive midfielder, but I think we do need to make sure the signings are complementary and whoever we bring in is going to amplify the abilities of the others.

At the moment we have quite a random collection of midfielders, only Shelvey really has a role and that's mainly because he can't run. 

Obvious statement I know.  

2 hours ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Think if you look at most successful midfield threes who play in a similar system then they all feature a proper anchor player. 

City with Fernandinho now Rodri, Barca with Busquets, Madrid with Casemiro, Liverpool with Fabinho, PSGs midfield always looked the best when they had Motta in that role. 

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

They'll know better, but he seems to be the least of their problems. Three goals and an assist already this season.

More so he is wasted there from what I've read. He could be doing a lot more if centrally.

2 hours ago, Jaqen said:

Think if you look at most successful midfield threes who play in a similar system then they all feature a proper anchor player. 

City with Fernandinho now Rodri, Barca with Busquets, Madrid with Casemiro, Liverpool with Fabinho, PSGs midfield always looked the best when they had Motta in that role. 

Yep, I know it is tried, tested and favoured (by many) to have a pure defensive/water carrier (with more negative slant) type player sitting in front of centre backs. I’d just prefer a more fluid flexible set-up. That doesn’t exclude them having relative strengths, just all able to interchange and be able to do everything, even if to a slightly lesser degree, is better I think. 

Edited by Coffee_Johnny