Dan Burn

Rich

Guest HTT II
12 hours ago, toontownman said:

If Dummett didn't come up through the club he wouldn't be getting kept on imo. Possibly longstaff too. I think Howe is very intentional with rebuilding the bridge with the community which will be pivotal in making our Academy the place to be not just in the North but for players from all over. Local players that know the area are key as a PR/ambassador exercise.

BDB has been largely excellent though. Incredibly shrewd business. I rolled my eyes when I first saw the link lol.

That’s an interesting theory that I didn’t even consider, the club have massively improved their status and connection with academy prospects and parents, recently having the under 9s unveiled on the pitch, lunch with the players, training with the players and training at SJP. There has to be a local connection. I’d personally get rid of the Longstaff and Dummett as they are, well, shite IMO. We need to be ruthless down the line and so does Howe if we and he is to be successful.

17 hours ago, Kanji said:

You honestly kind of need local talented players to be within the squad no matter what, there’s a balance that needs to be there in terms of respecting the club’s role in the community and understanding the moments. Burn talking about his family emotions as he’s signing his contract, or the feeling he had on his debut, or the Arsenal match. I mean that type of stuff is infectious and something I hope this club continues to foster — and i think we will under Howe. 

Would be great to have a rotational prospect or starter at some point within the spine of the team - Burn, Longstaff, Anderson. 

Problem is these type of players have a poor little patch and everyone is dying to stick the boot in. Don't think I'd fancy being a local player at this club half the time like

Saw some little Youtuber/influencer type doyles trying to skip the queues for beer at Sam Fender tonight whilst BDB queued patiently with his pals and despite half the room waving and saying hello to him was polite and good humoured. What a fella he is.

10 hours ago, Pilko said:

Saw some little Youtuber/influencer type doyles trying to skip the queues for beer at Sam Fender tonight whilst BDB queued patiently with his pals and despite half the room waving and saying hello to him was polite and good humoured. What a fella he is.

Seen him there last night. 

He was sat at the back of the balcony, probably for the benefit of others. 

Imagine being lucky enough to get tickets in the ballot and then being unlucky enough to stand behind Big Dan Burn. 

On 21/05/2022 at 14:38, Kanji said:

You honestly kind of need local talented players to be within the squad no matter what, there’s a balance that needs to be there in terms of respecting the club’s role in the community and understanding the moments. Burn talking about his family emotions as he’s signing his contract, or the feeling he had on his debut, or the Arsenal match. I mean that type of stuff is infectious and something I hope this club continues to foster — and i think we will under Howe. 

Would be great to have a rotational prospect or starter at some point within the spine of the team - Burn, Longstaff, Anderson. 

Yes, absolutely. Howe will definitely go with this approach, and it is the reason why the takeover isn't going to lead to the club losing it's identity and beginning to feel plastic.

For me, Burn's decision making (positioning in particular) has been suspect on occasion, and Schar's use of the ball has been invaluable in transitioning to a style which is approaching the way Howe wants us to play. I think we should be aiming to challenge the top six next season and Burn is further from being a top six centre half than Schar is overall imo.

Burn was a great signing though all things considered, no doubt about that. 

Edited by Barnes23

17 hours ago, Barnes23 said:

Would much rather see Schar + an upgrade on Burn as a first choice pairing, personally. 

Same. Burn has been good in most games but he's been a liability more often than Schar has.

I'd be happy enough with them both starting next season anyway to be honest. The defence has been sound and, apart from two drubbings from Spurs and City, we've not conceded more than one goal in any of the previous 19 games. We need to score more goals. That (and a left back) is where the budget needs to go this summer imo.

Edited by Smal

For me it all depends on the quality we can get for RCB or LCB - Botman as the LCB of ours for the next decade next to Schar for now sounds great but I’d be ok with a similar quality on right side next to Burn. 

Schär’s worse for that, I reckon, still brain farts at least once a game as well. Both could be upgraded, but I’d be surprised to see us doing so.

Out of the two, Schar is more capable of playing in a progressive side who like to have possession of the ball. IMO he could seamlessly slip into Man Citys centre back pair (just as an example, I don't think he's better than Laporte or Diaz) and you would barely see a difference in terms of their team performance.

Burn is a better penalty box defender, more robust and probably has more pace but he's not as good on the ball as Schar, although he's not terrible either.

They are actually ideal for where we are. Burn is about to enter the latter part of his career and will hopefully understand being part of the squad, whilst also playing plenty of games and Schar will be ideal for us to transition out of the stone age and into the digital, so to speak.

We will sign a top centre back this summer and all 3 of them will get plenty of games.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Schär’s worse for that, I reckon, still brain farts at least once a game as well. Both could be upgraded, but I’d be surprised to see us doing so.

It feels like Schar's errors come more in the form of ropey passes that put us under unnecessary pressure, whereas Burn's are more discipline related.

I've got absolutely nothing to support that mind other than my declining memory.

Big fan of both though, they're absolutely fine for where we are at the moment.

Edited by The Prophet

I think Burn's a very good defender, just maybe a bit short of the really top level. He does get done when he comes up against the very best. That said, he's fairly reliable for the most part, would take a good defender to replace him.

I cannot remember the last time we had a player who put the shits up opposition defenders more than  BDB when he goes up for corners and free kicks.Let’s not underestimate this part of his game.Forcing opposition keepers to kick long,which really isn’t a hard thing to do,simply plays into the hands (head) of BDB.The last time I saw such a will to win in central defence was probably Peter Jackson.I’d pick him over Schar and Lascelles every day of the week as a proper central defender.

Guest HTT II

I keep saying it, we badly need a quick, powerful ball playing CB which would allow us to play higher up the pitch and whoever our full backs are them too. I’d prefer it if we didn’t start next season with Schar and Burn as a pair, although it would be more than acceptable. The defender I've talked about or rather that type of defender would improve us in the way Wilson does over Wood.

Edited by HTT II

He's great but didn't have good games against Spurs and Man City away which leads me to think he'll do for the next step of our progress but maybe not a starter for the one after.

If you placed Diego Carlos (strong, pacy, good on the ball) next to Dan Burn then yo've got 1-2 years of that partnership assuming Burn's understudy is a younger long-term answer. Or you sign Sven Botman (strong, quicker than Burn, good on the ball) and play him next to Schar and you've got a young ready-made long-term player and then you look to sign a young understudy to Schar. 

^just using example of the 2 guys we were linked with most in Jan.