Forum donations

Yorkie

Hallo. 

Just a friendly note to say that, if anyone would like to (and can spare it), a donation to help keep the forum coffers topped-up for server costs would be very gratefully accepted. Many have made one-off donations in the past, while a few have set up direct debts; thank you very much indeed to those for that generosity! 

If anyone would like to, there's a donate button accessed (at least as it appears on my phone) via the three-lines navigation menu thing at the top of the page. 

At the moment N-O pays £35-45 monthly (depending on exchange rate) as HUGZ/Beren have stated but as folk will have noticed sometimes there's still the odd issue or it's a bit slow if it's busy. Both of which are more noticeable since the takeover as there's been more traffic and posts across the site, as Yorkie posted the other week (see below).

z5ac8Wfb_o.jpg

With that in mind we'd love upgrade the specs of the site so this no longer is an issue for anyone accessing or using the site and that it runs smoothly for everyone and most importantly isn't in anyway likely to fall over in the event of something mad/majestic happening.

To do that costs per month would potentially double. At the moment this isn't something that would be sustainable using what we have in the coffers (about 6/7 months of current expenditure) and the regular donations that are already set up hence why we added the donate option to the site.

As a close-knit community that has been through thick and thin together it's only right to give the opportunity for users to contribute to the running costs of the site should they so be inclined. All donations of any sizes are most welcome and all money received only gets spent on keeping N-O running costs. We've seen just recently what happens when a plug gets pulled, and site disappears. We'd hate to ever get near that happening to N-O and our community. 

So with that in mind if anyone can spare a couple of quid or the price of a pint in their local per month it would be most welcome. Likewise if you can't commit to a regular payment and have a few pennies going spare they'll be as equally gratefully received.

Donate via the link at the top of the page or via https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=NAPD4YP9RHTFY

Cheers from your N-O admins.

Howay the lads!

Set up a monthly payment, but it's not withdrawn from my account yet - is that normal for PayPal? Says pending. Let me know when/if it goes through, it's £40. If it doesn't go through I'll just try to remember doing a direct transfer each month as those I have done before, not done the monthly thing before with PayPal. How have I become so technologically old-minded that PayPal baffles me? Does this happen naturally as you age? :lol: 

Guest neesy111
14 hours ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Can we not do spot instances and/or ECS and the like so available resources will scale up and down with demand? Means prices will be more expensive at busy times but scale down to cheaper when not so busy.

Too costly and complicated for a small setup.

Scaling requires extra resources.

e.g.  database/session inside a managed service.  also separate load balancer for example.  Otherwise you'll have downtime everytime it needs scaling up/down.  Nevermind someone setting up the IaaS for it.

Edited by neesy111

8 hours ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

:lol: I'll cancel mine now then if Kaiz is just gonna fund it. 

Though very generous Kaiz has agreed to scale back. It's a community thing, shouldn't be reliant on one or two people. Thanks again everyone.

Good thing that you ask tbh, as many people forget (include myself here) or simply aren't aware/pay attention to the donation button. Seems like my last donation was back in 2016, which coincidentally could be the last time someone on here asked for contributions? :lol: