Mason Greenwood

mouldy_uk

The police often seem to ask of victims of all kinds of crime, whether they want to 'press charges'.  It seems standard practice, and I don't know how difficult it is in practice to secure a conviction when the chief witness is declining to participate - perhaps effectively acting as a witness for the defence. But yes, I do wonder whether the prosecution should still go forward in some cases.

What often seems to happen in courts is the defence puts the Police on trial, and their conduct becomes the focus rather than that of the accused.

The thought that child will one day hear that audio is grim. 

That said, given his level of privilege I’m sure the club will have employed the best therapist and I hope he’s educated enough now to know what he’s done was wrong. It was a pretty major mistake but for the child’s sake I hope they’ve both learned from it. 

5 hours ago, Cronky said:

The police often seem to ask of victims of all kinds of crime, whether they want to 'press charges'.  It seems standard practice, and I don't know how difficult it is in practice to secure a conviction when the chief witness is declining to participate - perhaps effectively acting as a witness for the defence. But yes, I do wonder whether the prosecution should still go forward in some cases.

What often seems to happen in courts is the defence puts the Police on trial, and their conduct becomes the focus rather than that of the accused.

Can't really blame the police or the CPS when the lass and her father are refusing to press charges. Harriet isn't a child any more, there's only so much the rest of the world can do to if she's determined to make a life with a rapist.

People can learn and change but I think if you have to be taught rape is bad there's not a whole lot of hope, like :lol: It seemed to be multiple incidents of physical, mental and sexual abuse. 

It's absolutely rotten and selfish to bring a child into that relationship. 

I'm all for people learning and changing but that also has to go hand in hand with actual repercussions. Not just losing nike deals or anything like that. 

I get that the cps was screwed over by dropping off complaint but i don't know how anyone who listened to that audio couldn't think this man is dangerous and needs to be in jail. 

18 hours ago, Tiresias said:

I'm all for people learning and changing but that also has to go hand in hand with actual repercussions. Not just losing nike deals or anything like that. 

I get that the cps was screwed over by dropping off complaint but i don't know how anyone who listened to that audio couldn't think this man is dangerous and needs to be in jail. 

Im not defending him or anything, but you dont know what you listened to... We dont know if they had some kind of kinky fetish like playrape.

I remember beeing younger I watched a movie about a guy who went to jail because a woman tricked him by saying he raped here by recording a playrape(dont remember the name of the movie). Again im not defending him, but when there is money and fame in the picture you never know is all I´m saying. Either way this is a fucked up case.

13 minutes ago, Begbie said:

Im not defending him or anything, but you dont know what you listened to... We dont know if they had some kind of kinky fetish like playrape.

I remember beeing younger I watched a movie about a guy who went to jail because a woman tricked him by saying he raped here by recording a playrape(dont remember the name of the movie). Again im not defending him, but when there is money and fame in the picture you never know is all I´m saying. Either way this is a fucked up case.

Well yes I guess, but my point is more at mad man u fans who want him to stay because he's learned a lesson, I guess our jails would be empty and cost less i guess if criminals could lose a nike deal apologise and that was what repercussions were

2 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

He publically told her to get back with him in the immediate aftermath of the incident

Didn’t he also say it’s all been a big misunderstanding or words to that effect?

2 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Didn’t he also say it’s all been a big misunderstanding or words to that effect?

Said she didn't want the video/audio to be released and that her Instagram had been hacked, and that they'd known Mason since he was in the academy.

10 hours ago, Begbie said:

I'm pretty comfortable with bad life outcomes for people into playrape.

• 5 months later...

https://x.com/manutd/status/1691825933345317308?s=46&t=yPbd9G8BOq0rWw0jv09aDg

https://theathletic.com/4780813/2023/08/16/mason-greenwood-man-utd-return/

Manchester United’s chief executive, Richard Arnold, told the club’s executive leadership in the first week of August that United were planning to bring back Mason Greenwood.

As part of that plan for Greenwood’s reintegration with the men’s first team, Arnold intended to record a video explaining the decision that would be shared both with staff and the general public.

The proposed date for the announcement was Friday, August 4. The plan laid out by Arnold that week was that Greenwood would not make any appearances with the club’s charitable arm, the Manchester United Foundation, in the short to medium term, even though the club would be bringing him back to the first-team set-up.

However, United did not proceed with the announcement and, 12 days on, they are still to communicate any decision publicly, meaning elements of the plan could still change.

Greenwood, 21, has not played for United since he was arrested in January 2022 after a recording and images were released on social media of an alleged sexual attack. Charges against Greenwood for attempted rape, controlling and coercive behaviour and assault occasioning actual bodily harm, which he denied, were dropped in February of this year. The UK’s Crown Prosecution Service said: “A combination of the withdrawal of key witnesses and new material meant there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction.”

After the criminal case ended, United stated on February 2 that they will “conduct its own process before determining next steps”. No further information has been communicated to supporters six months on. The United process was led by chief executive Arnold, assisted by the club’s legal counsel Patrick Stewart, communications chief Ellie Norman, football director John Murtough and the chief operating officer, Collette Roche.

The Athletic has previously reported that United held meetings with Greenwood at the club’s Carrington training ground during the first month of the investigation. The club’s owners, the Glazer family, appear to have delegated key responsibility for the decision to Arnold, who is to be the public face of the decision and informed members of his leadership team about the chosen path after returning from the club’s tour of the United States in pre-season.

Sources close to the process spoke to The Athletic on the condition of anonymity because they are not authorised to speak publicly. The Athletic has not been told the precise reason United have delayed the announcement of their decision on Greenwood, but it has been reported widely that the club wished to inform key stakeholders of their decision ahead of going public. This would have included principal sponsors, the club’s fan advisory board, prominent former players and also members of the women’s team. However, several key United players, such as goalkeeper Mary Earps and captain Katie Zelem, remain on international duty at the World Cup in Australia and New Zealand.

One theory, therefore, is that United have simply delayed the formalities until their women’s players return. United have never intended to consult their female players about the decision, but they did wish to give the team prior notice and the opportunity for feedback. However, the players found themselves the unwitting victims of a social media storm last weekend when, on the eve of England’s World Cup quarter-final against Colombia, a story emerged in The Guardian that claimed the decision had been delayed to allow United to consult them. In response to posts from United’s official women’s account about the game, which England won 2-1, users have petitioned Zelem, Earps and Ella Toone to allow Greenwood’s return.

The messages were seen by players and The Athletic has also been told that some of the posts were more menacing and threatening, to the extent one agent has considered enlisting cybersecurity support for his client.

The Athletic has been repeatedly told that the club’s football operations department, including Murtough and head coach Erik ten Hag, are supportive of Greenwood’s reintegration.

During the club’s pre-season tour, Ten Hag was asked about Greenwood and said he had given his view on the matter internally. He did not state his view publicly. One argument the football department has advanced centres on his belief United have a duty of care to Greenwood, who has been on the books since the age of seven. However, others might argue that United may be motivated by the fact Greenwood has two years remaining on a £75,000-per-week contract and are loathe to give up on a player who scored 35 goals in 129 first-team appearances at United. The Athletichas been told there are multiple employees within the club who are deeply troubled by the decision and believe they did not feel the club has fostered an environment where major decisions by senior personnel can be freely challenged. This is something the club refute.

On Monday night, some United supporters protested against Greenwood’s possible return at Old Trafford and a banner made, in United’s colours, sported the message: “Female Fans Demand No Greenwood Return – End Violence Against Women”.

A Manchester United club statement, that was also sent to staff, said: “Following the dropping of all charges against Mason Greenwood in February 2023, Manchester United has conducted a thorough investigation into the allegations made against him. This has drawn on extensive evidence and context not in the public domain, and we have heard from numerous people with direct involvement or knowledge of the case.

“Throughout this process, the welfare and perspective of the alleged victim has been central to the club’s inquiries, and we respect her right to lifelong anonymity. We also have responsibilities to Mason as an employee, as a young person who has been with the club since the age of seven, and as a new father with a partner.

“The fact-finding phase of our investigation is now complete, and we are in the final stages of making a decision on Mason’s future. Contrary to media speculation, that decision has not yet been made and is currently the subject of intensive internal deliberation. Responsibility ultimately rests with the Chief Executive Officer. Once made, the decision will be communicated and explained to the club’s internal and external stakeholders.

“This has been a difficult case for everyone associated with Manchester United, and we understand the strong opinions it has provoked based on the partial evidence in the public domain. We ask for patience as we work through the final stages of this carefully considered process.”

It annoys me that Man U and the media have spent months acting as though this is some difficult, painful decision. It is an act. The boy is free of legal troubles, and the talent he displayed at a young age is easily worth whatever negative press they will receive for playing him for a club primarily concerned with results and finances. If Mendy was a 21 year old English international forward instead of a disposable defender, his story would have progressed differently as well. Everyone is free to talk about the morality of the club and condemn Greenwood as a person, but this was always the obvious outcome when the charges were dropped.

Edited by Segun Oluwaniyi