Matt Targett

SUPERTOON

He's been absolutely class, and perhaps more importantly completely fits with our "personalities are key" approach. Seems an all round good guy and importantly has ambition (not content with a bench position). Get it done - not saying we won't upgrade in a few years or whatever but he's completely solid and basically takes LB off the board as a position to worry about for a few seasons.

Definitely no exaggeration to say that the only match he's really struggled in was when he was up against Sterling at Man City away, which is fine. Every other match he's been a 7/10 in total and more or less 9 or 10/10 if you just look at the defensive side of his game. 

Mkes perfect sense to get him signed - even if we go for Lodi as well.

I know he hasnt played that many games for us in the grand scheme of things but hes like a modern day Denis Irwin.

1 minute ago, Alberto2005 said:

I'm torn on this one, he's been really solid and the fee is great but I think we can do better and I don't imagine he'll want to come as backup.

that’s why he left Villa

We have to buy 2 LBs though so he’ll have competition regardless 

Just now, Alberto2005 said:

I'm torn on this one, he's been really solid and the fee is great but I think we can do better and I don't imagine he'll want to come as backup.

Sometimes it’s better to be a part of something than not. This something is a big something. He won’t have felt the love like this before. He wants the vibe injecting. He’ll sign, back up or not!  :indi:

I do wonder if ASM's unpredictability and high risk style of play impacts Targetts ability to attack. 

Must he really difficult playing behind him knowing he's not gonna track back if you commit to an overlap and when he loses the ball as often as he can.

Should 100% sign him. 

Edited by Thumbheed

1 minute ago, Thumbheed said:

I do wonder if ASM's unpredictability and high risk style of play impacts Targetts ability to attack. 

Must he really difficult playing behind him knowing he's not gonna track back if you commit to an overlap and when he loses the ball as often as he can.

Should 100% sign him. 

Not familiar enough with Targetts game before he joined us to say if it affects him one way or another. I do think it dictates the type of fullback we play on that side though.

15 minutes ago, Alberto2005 said:

I know what you mean - I'd also be more excited by someone like Lodi (and preferably would have both), but I think there are actual holes right throughout other parts of the team that are more pressing for next year.

Target doesn't strike me as an urgent weak link at least, and he's a known quantity.

Instead I'd be looking at a striker (possibly two), keeper, central defence, arguably both wingers depending on your view of St Max (and anyway as cover), defensive midfielder, creative number 10...

Depends where the priorities are really, as that's already more than half a team

Plus, if you bought him for what's been quoted and decided there were better options a year or two later, on the basis of what we've seen so far he's not going to lose much value if you decide to sell him on.

Proven that he performs in this set up and league.  Plus the price seems more than fair.  I think there are numerous areas that need upgrading before him in the starting lineup.  Striker, winger/wide forward, DM, CB and GK.  He has been brilliant bar the Spurs game, when everyone was off it and complete and utter shite.  

I'd sign him. 

I trust our manager regardless. But we must also remember that we’ve had pure incompetence and Matt Ritchie playing that position in the seasons before Targett got here.

Any significant improvement is going to appear like we’ve got someone world class in there.. the manager works with him every day so he’ll know what’s what and won’t be afraid to make an unpopular decision if needed.

22 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

I trust our manager regardless. But we must also remember that we’ve had pure incompetence and Matt Ritchie playing that position in the seasons before Targett got here.

Any significant improvement is going to appear like we’ve got someone world class in there.. the manager works with him every day so he’ll know what’s what and won’t be afraid to make an unpopular decision if needed.

It would have been interesting to compare Targett to Trippier if the latter had played more games. When I read the ratings given to Targett and words like "stunning", "excellent", etc. then it makes me think how would people describe Trippier?

Well seeing as he's made it quite clear he wants to stay, and with his character and performances so far, I'd hate to be in Howe's position if I wasn't planning on making the move permanent. It would feel like I'm about to shoot Bambi [emoji38]

10 minutes ago, Sean said:

Well seeing as he's made it quite clear he wants to stay, and with his character and performances so far, I'd hate to be in Howe's position if I wasn't planning on making the move permanent. It would feel like I'm about to shoot Bambi [emoji38]

79BAF28B-2CC8-4497-B02A-632AB90F0C75.thumb.jpeg.0dc8f6b265cd8a98f6198b2df1ae6c05.jpeg

I think that he is a really solid full back and seems like a real genuine guy.  His attacking play is limited partly because of ASM being in front of him. A couple of times on Monday he was trying to get Maxi in position but it fell on deaf ears so must be frustrating for him.  At the moment they don't really compliment each other but once Eddie gets Maxi sorted out it will be fine. 

As far as people keep saying he's good but we could do better, you could apply that crazy logic to everyone in the team. It takes time to rebuild a team regardless of how much money you have. We aren't going to replace everyone overnight and I'm more than happy to watch these owners build it brick by brick over a period of time. I think we will bring in a couple of new players maybe 3.

It all depends on whether Howe wants to play a flat back four or not IMO.

If we want to play four at the back, Targett at the supposed price is a no-brainer IMO. He's excellent defensively, competent in possession and is a decent crosser of the ball.

If we want to go with wing backs, I can see how we might want someone who's more of an attacking threat on that flank.

I suspect we'll possibly go between the two systems but signing a guy who's purely a left back for a team that will spend a lot of time playing without one might not make sense.

Do we think he could play on the left side of 3 CBs? If yes, he might have a bit more versatility as a squad option?

8 minutes ago, jackyboy said:

I think that he is a really solid full back and seems like a real genuine guy.  His attacking play is limited partly because of ASM being in front of him. A couple of times on Monday he was trying to get Maxi in position but it fell on deaf ears so must be frustrating for him.  At the moment they don't really compliment each other but once Eddie gets Maxi sorted out it will be fine. 

As far as people keep saying he's good but we could do better, you could apply that crazy logic to everyone in the team. It takes time to rebuild a team regardless of how much money you have. We aren't going to replace everyone overnight and I'm more than happy to watch these owners build it brick by brick over a period of time. I think we will bring in a couple of new players maybe 3.

Everyone else in the team is a Newcastle player, Targett would be a new player. If Howe thinks he can get a player more suited to what he wants then it would not make sense to buy Targett.