Matt Targett

SUPERTOON

I don't get the accusations that he's bad going forward based on what we've seen like. He's not a flying wing back but there's more ways to offer offensively than that.

He generally looks to cleanly distribute the ball out from the back which is massively valuable in an attacking sense. I was expecting a lot more safety first clearances but more often than not he would play it directly into midfield or accurately down the line to the wide player.

He also is comfortably carrying it forward into the opposition half and links up well with the wide player. Even if he's not the one playing the cross just offering the overlap is very useful in an attacking sense when your winger can then go inside.

Finally - he has shown good set piece delivery which is an attacking attribute in and of itself l.

Maybe it's just we've been so short of competence at left back for so long we've forgot what it looks like - but I definitely wouldn't have said he was a defensive full back. If anything I think his attacking qualities have been equal to his defensive ones rather than particularly excelling one way or the other.

Aye, always thought the same. :thup:  He’s sound in attack. Think if he had a more ‘orthodox’ winger in front of him he’d get more joy on the overlap but it’s fine the way it is. He could have had 2 goals against Brentford on another day as well.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

8 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

I don't get the accusations that he's bad going forward based on what we've seen like. He's not a flying wing back but there's more ways to offer offensively than that.

He generally looks to cleanly distribute the ball out from the back which is massively valuable in an attacking sense. I was expecting a lot more safety first clearances but more often than not he would play it directly into midfield or accurately down the line to the wide player.

He also is comfortably carrying it forward into the opposition half and links up well with the wide player. Even if he's not the one playing the cross just offering the overlap is very useful in an attacking sense when your winger can then go inside.

Finally - he has shown good set piece delivery which is an attacking attribute in and of itself l.

Maybe it's just we've been so short of competence at left back for so long we've forgot what it looks like - but I definitely wouldn't have said he was a defensive full back. If anything I think his attacking qualities have been equal to his defensive ones rather than particularly excelling one way or the other.

Agreed. He's just as reliable going forward, he just takes fewer risks because he respects his defensive obligations and has Maxi in front of him. 

Makes you wonder why Villa went all out to sign Digne then. You would have thought if Targett was as good going forward, why would they need anyone else? Was it just naive and remarkably dumb management by the rookie Gerrarrrrd?

He absolutely mullered Brentfords fullback when he was paired up with Fraser.

Personally, I've no issue with a left back being an absolute boss defender, and only occasionally delivering the goods in attack.

Can't wait until we are playing away in Europe and I don't have to worry about getting done by some mint right winger.

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

Makes you wonder why Villa went all out to sign Digne then. You would have thought if Targett was as good going forward, why would they need anyone else? Was it just naive and remarkably dumb management by the rookie Gerrarrrrd?

He's not as good as Digne going forward but he is a lot stronger defensively

1 minute ago, relámpago blanco said:

He's not as good as Digne going forward but he is a lot stronger defensively

And he filled a gaping hole for us. Strong defensively, doesn't give the  ball away when he has it and covers for ASM.

Since January I wouldn't swap Targett for Digne for us, that's not to say there isn't better than both.

15 minutes ago, TRon said:

Has anybody said he is as good as Digne going forward?

I know twitters no place to read normal discussions but my goodness they’re so bitter/scared of what we’re going to become at the expense of them.

They’re a season away from being in an Everton situation.

56 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Seeing as he's staying, I assume that when his lass said "short but sweet" on Instagram, she was on about the height of his top lip as opposed to the length of their stay on Tyneside. 

:lol: absolutely no need for this

Guest HTT II
1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

Seeing as he's staying, I assume that when his lass said "short but sweet" on Instagram, she was on about the height of his top lip as opposed to the length of their stay on Tyneside. 

She was on about his nob!