Matt Targett

SUPERTOON

17 minutes ago, gdm said:

It’s a loan deal that keeps Ritchie far away from the left back spot. Rather have Targett in on loan than no left back being brought in. Lewis will no doubt get minutes but he’s hardly been a shining light so far. 

I'm still praying Ritchie's one of those who loses his squad spot tbh 

17 minutes ago, Menace said:

@brummie Views?

On 20/01/2022 at 19:48, brummie said:

Late to the party on this one. 

Targett is defensively very solid indeed. Had a poor first season with us, then a brilliant second one (think he was player of the year, or thereabouts).

If we let him go, it'll be because he doesn't offer enough going forward, and attacking full backs is a key tenet of Gerrard's way of playing.

If you're looking for a defensively very strong full back, though, Targett is definitely that. I'd much rather keep him, even if he's now behind Digne.

Just now, Skeletor said:

I agree with Gerrard's philosophy of two attacking full backs but never the less he's an improvement on what we have.

Howe has that philosophy as well, we'll be buying a marauding LB in the summer. For now, we just need someone who will help keep us up, and on loan this is really good business.

2 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

I suspect Howe is going to keep us as a counter attacking team for the rest of the season, tbh - the defensive signings are suggesting it. Plus, Targett is probably good defensive foil for Maxi.

This, deffo...

Never really noticed his defending ability (although Rafa wanted him) but what does stick in the mind is his whining and complaining to the ref. Said when he was first linked that he has a massively punchable face, looks like a rat on coke

matt-targett-of-aston-villa-reacts-as-re

(Not the best example)

Just now, nufcjb said:

Didnt someone on here suggest we get this guy if Villa got Digne in? Or was it another Villa player?

I think as soon as Villa signed Digne a few people mentioned it yeah. I see this as a Dummett replacement (at least in the short term) - he seems to fit the same mould as him, solid defensively with not much going forward. 

21 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I think as soon as Villa signed Digne a few people mentioned it yeah. I see this as a Dummett replacement (at least in the short term) - he seems to fit the same mould as him, solid defensively with not much going forward. 

Still better than Lewis going forward (He doesn't panic in attacking positions and can has a good cross on him). He's not great with the ball at the feet but better than dummet and It's not like Lewis or Ritchie ever go past players. 

4 hours ago, xLiaaamx said:

Oh I don't care if we sell them or not. I'm just concerned we might end up with too many defenders registered as it stands leaving other areas light. Hopefully we'll be sensible. If Clark does go it'll be reet

Is there anything to suggest we won't be sensible?