Matt Targett

SUPERTOON

17 minutes ago, toontownman said:

It is a tough one. BDB has certainly been exposed against pacey wingers 

Has he? Apart from Saka in the first few mins at arsenal he seems to cope with most pretty well?

So much so that we didn't concede a goal for 10 games

I must be mad. I'm adamant I've seen him get caught more than once with opposition on the break and getting in behind. Likely when he has been exposed with Joe and willock caught in attack. Targett did too though a few times and most fullbacks do in that situation unless they have obscene pace/recovery speed. In general he has been excellent in one on one's though. He doesn't generally get skinned and the saka example is a great one as the team defended well as a whole and Saka got next to nothing.

The decision on which to prefer is in the balance for me. Targett was better as a one on one defender, he was largely imperious last season. He requires less defensive support from teammates and offers more going forwards. But, I think you can argue Burn offers more to our in possession defensive structure (i.e. back 3), and therefore indirectly adds to Trippier's attacking presence. And as that analysis was describing the other day, him being there relieves aerial pressure from Schär.

One of those relatively nice questions to have...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When he was fit Howe preferred Burn anyhow, so after being injured it might be a while before he gets to start. The LB position I'm sure will be upgraded this summer though I'm not sure Tierney is the answer.

12 minutes ago, Away Toon said:

When he was fit Howe preferred Burn anyhow, so after being injured it might be a while before he gets to start. The LB position I'm sure will be upgraded this summer though I'm not sure Tierney is the answer.

Was it not just thay Howe was giving Burn a run in the team because the defence were performing well, them Targett got a long term injury?

1 hour ago, Away Toon said:

He'll be injured most if the time, I'd avoid personally.

This is the part of the season where certain players do need a bit of a physical and mental rest. Dan Burn is certainly one of those.

Matt Targett is an easy replacement for Burn and has had long enough recovery time to ease his way back in.

Lascelles should also come in against Wolves because he nullified Haaland and looked decent all game considering his lack of game time..