Transferometer: January 2022 Edition

How would you rank this Transfer Window?  

286 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rank this Transfer Window?

Now that the Transfer Window is coming to a close, figured its be an idea to create a thread summarizing our business, and getting a consensus of how people rate it (use the poll above):

Incomings:

Player                                   Club                                            Value                         Contract

Kieran Trippier               Atletico Madrid                   £12M                     2.5 Years

Chris Wood                    Burnley                                £25M                     2.5 Years

Bruno Guimarães           Lyon                                    £33M                     4.5 Years

Matt Targett                   Aston Villa                          Loan                       6 Months

Dan Burn                        Brighton                              £13M                      TBC

Outgoings:

Player                                    Club                                          Value                          Contract

Joe White                        Harelepool                         Loan                      6 Months

Freddie Woodman          Bournemouth                     Loan                      6 Months

Matt Bondswell               Shrewsbury                       Loan                      6 Months

Obviously there could still be some more transfers in the coming hours, but I think I can speak for more fans that even if you're not a fan of the players we've bought in, the owners have tried their hardest to get deals done, have actively tried to improve the team at every level, and while its not been smooth, and we may still have some weaknesses, its class having owners who actually care, and are trying to improve the squad and club at every level, and this window has been a far cry from anything we've had in a generation. 

Really good window. A transformative midfielder, a world class full back, an improvement at centre back and solid additions at left back and up top. An additional creative outlet would have been the icing on the cake, but we've done very well to get five in. 7/10.

6. Some better than expected signings like Trippier and Guimaraes offset by a disasterous Wood signing and fairly average solid signings of Burn and Targett. Fell short of what was required as our attacking options (even with signing Wood) were not strengthened at all and that has made our relegation battle that much harder.

Wary of saying anything that might be construed as negative and will get jumped on but I’m saying 6/10. Some good signings but a lot of top targets missed. A lot of positions covered but a much needed attacker missed. Difficult window tho. 

No idea what to expect beforehand but happy overall. We were never going to fix all that is wrong with squad in one window. I like that they seem to be relatively considered with valuations of players and we are not loading up on the obvious mercenary types 7.5/10

5 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

6. Some better than expected signings like Trippier and Guimaraes offset by a disasterous Wood signing and fairly average solid signings of Burn and Targett. Fell short of what was required as our attacking options (even with signing Wood) were not strengthened at all and that has made our relegation battle that much harder.

Describing Wood as 'disastrous' seems very harsh.

Providing this is indeed us done for business, I’ve voted a 6. Trippier was an outstanding piece of business, a genuine top-class right-back, a leader, great character, fresh from a La Liga title and a Euros runner up and he wanted to join. The caveat to that is, RB wasn't a priority. 9/10

Burn is a player I know little off, but he’s a local lad and seemingly in good form and he will add height and cover for two positions, LCB/LWB. 6/10

Targett is a very sound defensive LB and on loan so not a huge risk, he will, you’d hope, free ASM from some of his extra defensive duties. He brings leadership, experience, character and will be hungry you’d imagine. 6.5/10

Wood is a striker who we brought in to fill the gap caused by Wilson’s injury, a proven 3-1 PL experienced striker, he gives us a a different point of attack up front, is again experienced and can hit the ground running, he seems a good character too. If he is the only striker to join this window, however, it’s worrying as he is out of form and we need pace and movement up front. I discount the fee personally, 25m or 10m, he’s a body we needed. 5/10

Bruno is a player I honestly have never heard of until we were linked, but he seems a real coup and looks a great prospect, he is exactly what we need in midfield. But because I haven’t seen him play I can go no higher than 7/10.

As for the owners, I think they have worked extremely hard and tried to identify the right areas but have maybe been too focused on impossible type deals and in a back to front way too, we should have prioritised attackers first. They have been naive and it’s clear more than ever how a competent DOF and with it a proper scouting network would have helped us massively this window.

The money we have spent shows real intent and the money we were also willing to spend on players we have failed to sign is a very very promising sign of things to come, the sky is the limit. Overall we are in a stronger position 31 days in and we have signed some decent players with experience, character and who you’d hope will work well with Howe and his ideas.

My main worry is we lack firepower and an injury to ASM and before Wilson returns would be a disaster and should Wilson’s poor form continue on return or he suffers another injury, Wood, Frazer, Shelvey et al will not get the goals needed to stay up.

I really fear despite the positive and decent dealings in this window, we will still struggle to stay up. We should have went all out on a top goalscorer and an attacking midfielder, a Zapata and a Lingard with the players we have already signed would guarantee safety for me. That’s now in the balance, again.

Edited by HTT II

Voted 5, but said 6 earlier. Sort of somewhere in the middle. Any signing in the Zapata/Lingard/Alli territory would move me to a 6 or 7.

If you told me we’d bought Trippier and Bruno for £50m and disregard the other 3, my score would probably be the same.

Happy to be wrong and hope I am because I’m still not totally convinced by Howe. Feel as confident now as surviving relegation as I did on 1 January and that’s not great.

6. Assuming we don't randomly reveal another signing.

Any other time and it would be a 9 or 10 but failing to properly strenghen key positions has left us looking sketchy. I think we could have made relegation unlikely with a couple more in but as it stands it's 50/50 imo.

Trippier was great and Bruno was amazing, hats off for pulling those off. The fact they're possibly not enough just shows how rancid our squad is.