Sell, Expire or Keep?

Awaymag

Here are the players that contracts expire this year and next.   So would you Sell, Expire or Keep.

Screenshot-2022-02-02-at-09.40.36.png

For me all those in 2023 I would look to sell in the summer and I would let those in 2022 expire.    12 players in that list.   2 or 3 at a push you could debate about but it really is quite a poor group, IMHO

Keep Schar, Fede depending on signings/fitness, maybe Woodman for a bit longer too. 

Longstaff is an interesting one still, I think if he finishes this season strong he might get a new deal. Also he might not want one if he can get first-team football lower down.

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Wouldn't be sad to see a single one leave but wouldn't be averse to keeping Schar, Fernandez, Dummett and Longstaff. Really hope Longstaff can find some form and play his way into a new contract. Seems a good lad and always got the impression the he really gets it. 

4 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

What rules?

The 8 homegrown players rule. Has a point. While we have plenty at the moment, most are dross. Trippier and Burn, then maybe keep Lascelles, Longstaff, Willock, Woodman and Lewis for the near future. Then we can also get in some more in the summer.

Edited by LRD

Not really bothered about a single one of them tbh. Maybe Woodman if he's a genuine talented keeper, but the rest are either going nowhere, or on the way down. Might have been different if we were still owned by Ashley and our only goal was avoiding relegation season on season.

This is predicated on our staying up but I would get rid of Sean and Matty Longstaff. If they turn out to be good players we can buy them back. People might think that sounds daft but we’ll have the money. Let’s face it, we’re going to be buying better players who are much more the finished article and their opportunities will be limited. They are both at an age where they need regular football. I’ve seen too many players hang around for that chance to break into the first team and then they leave eventually and their careers go nowhere. I think this is because they’ve stagnated by missing out on the development of their peers who have played more. I love seeing local lads come through as much anyone but even Matty, who’s nearly 22, is of an age where he’s no longer a kid with potential but someone who needs first team action. Wherever that may be 

Edited by Detritus Bramble

15 minutes ago, LRD said:

The 8 homegrown players rule. Has a point. While we have plenty at the moment, most are dross. Trippier and Burn, then maybe keep Lascelles, Longstaff, Willock, Woodman and Lewis for the near future. Then we can also get in some more in the summer.

We could have the following for the foreseeable

Trippier

Burn

Wilson

Murphy

Wilson

Fraser

Willock

Darlow/Gillespie

That's 8 and in theory we could get rid of any of those 8 and buy another homegrown player