Other games (2022/23)

Deuce

6 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Agreed, going from the reports from both sides  it seems:

A load of Liverpool fans turned up with suspect tickets;

The French authorities had no plan in place for this, creating a bottleneck where fans were made to wait in poor conditions for hours;

Fans got frustrated, started rushing gates and climbing the stadium perimeter;

The French police (who are always quite heavy handed) overreacted and started indiscriminately tear gassing fans.

Was lucky to be there yesterday, and there will always be truth to both sides.

For my experience, got into the stadium around 7pm, so 2 hours before kick off and still suffered quite a bit from that bottleneck at the underpass and van that has been reported. During that time it was already tense, I could hear the first line of stewards arguing saying things like "no, this is fake ticket". Also got second hand tear gassed but that was from them breaking up a 4 or 5 man brawl that had erupted.

No doubt the authorities got more anxious the closer we got to kick off. That bottleneck was certainly unnecessarily narrow.

Once we were in, we started seeing the first guys here and there finding spots to climb over. Didn't see the big push as was in the stands by then, but during the game, there were many people standing in the alleys and pathways.

3 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Excellent analysis from a reliable source. 

Great reply in there of someone saying  they'd have took more footage but the ticket was on UEFA app and it was too risky to take their phone out.

Fuck me, so a valid ticket doesn't guarantee you entry into the stadium and you might even cop a face full of gas should you have the temerity to protest. Stay at home and watch it in the pub 

4 minutes ago, Holloway said:

Fuck me, so a valid ticket doesn't guarantee you entry into the stadium and you might even cop a face full of gas should you have the temerity to protest. Stay at home and watch it in the pub 

I decided that a while back, not even because of the hassle like that. I want to be in Newcastle if/when we win something. I was at the last 2 Wembley cup finals we had and it was always in the back of my mind that I'd be missing out if we won.

15 minutes ago, Holloway said:

As usual there's loads of "wallpusher" scouse tropes but from what I've seen and read they were remarkably restrained.

Robertson's come out and said even his brother had bother with the ticket he gave him.

Kettling is a bastard trick as well, causes mayhem.

It's not "always them" either. Huge problems at the other finals as well. Christ we're playing Italy behind closed doors ffs.

Not that long ago England fans, in Amsterdam were all laughing and cheering as they launched people's bikes into the canal. I remember us away to Marseille getting the train from Nice and our lot mass pilfering alcohol from a little French/Asian shop. Cunts are everywhere.

Edited by Groundhog63

Wholeheartedly agree with the last line, but I'd say a disproportionate part of Liverpool's following to these showpiece events are travelling with the intent of bunking in, I've seen it first hand. This unfortunately has a negative effect on the genuine fans, but they don't give a fuck about that. I bet some of those poor fuckers with valid tickets didn't see a minute of that final, that would ruin me

It can be both true that the stadium entry logistics were terribly executed and Liverpool fans exacerbated the problem.

Kettling and indiscriminate tear gassing is bang out of order, but unfortunately something the French police have become well known for.

Having experienced Liverpool fans en masse first hand, rushing gates, flogging dodgy tickets and assaulting opposition fans is par for the course, so I don't believe for one moment that it was entirely unprovoked. They're by far the most unpleasant fans I've experienced.

Edited by The Prophet

14 minutes ago, Dancing Brave said:

That’s a man under pressure. Beaten by one shot on target, should have been two but Klopp and his other team didn’t react to the warning sign and the let off that followed. 

How many of Liverpools shots were hit and hopes following a period of not being able to muster up the courage to do what they do to the likes of Southampton regularly? 

Sounds bloody terrifying the stuff that went on outside the ground before kick off. One key part of the Taylor Report was on-the-ground police not having the authority to change any kind of plans, ie that van bottleneck under the underpass, as the cops in charge are elsewhere. So chaos ensues when it goes tits up.

Anyone go to Milan a few years back. The first thing I saw was the ball in the air after Solano hit the bar, literally on entering the ground we got in that late. 2 turnstiles open, Police created a bottleneck, no pushing or shoving, an orderly queue.

Solihull 3-1 up after 60 mins against Chesterfield, winner plays Grimsby in the final. It would be a bit unusual seeing Solihull in the league, but would quite like it.

Scott Loach in goal for Chesterfield. I remember him at Watford when he was England U21 keeper, and he's in goal for Chesterfield today. He made over 150 league games for Watford in the Championship, but then must have dropped off and has had most of his usually prime years in the National League, including a couple of seasons at Hartlepool - it's strange how careers can just go downhill.

34 minutes ago, Paullow said:

Solihull 3-1 up after 60 mins against Chesterfield, winner plays Grimsby in the final. It would be a bit unusual seeing Solihull in the league, but would quite like it.

Scott Loach in goal for Chesterfield. I remember him at Watford when he was England U21 keeper, and he's in goal for Chesterfield today. He made over 150 league games for Watford in the Championship, but then must have dropped off and has had most of his usually prime years in the National League, including a couple of seasons at Hartlepool - it's strange how careers can just go downhill.

I live in Solihull so it'd be brilliant to see them do it.

Frankly, it's inevitable given the tribalism in football that people's views become distorted when discussing clubs, or fans of clubs they either like or dislike for whatever reason, and so, it is hard to paint a true picture from afar without having to swallow some degree of propaganda which generally leans in some form of direction.

However, taking the view (as many on Twitter have done) that this is entirely the fault of Liverpool fans is entirely lazy and dangerously ignorant. Football fans, of any club, would likely attempt to 'break in' to any such occasion or stadium if they were playing a Champions League final, and whilst that in itself is unlawful and dangerous it is somewhat understandable. Who wouldn't want to experience the (potential) 'experience of a lifetime' watching their club be crowned the best team on the continent?

Despite this, they are also not void of any blame. There will have been a minority doing so and as previously mentioned, they shouldn't be. Especially as they, themselves, have fought for years to clear their name on the Hillsborough incident.

At Marseille, as a young teen, I remember how the French police were dressed, how they treated us and how we were housed. One giant warehouse panelled out into 3 screening areas with riot police dressed like robocop pushing people about. Yet somehow, flares managed to make there way from the Marseille end to ignite the paper/foil display at the front and create a fire that burned towards us. The football hooliganism of our past once again acting as the timeless stereotype of how all our fans supposedly act, whilst those in the Marseille end actively endangered everyone. 

However, once again, minorities spoil it for the majority, and it's no real surprise when you see how some of the England contingency act when they're away that we're still tarnished with such a shit reputation.

Perhaps though, just perhaps, a novel solution would be for all of the corporate pigs to fuck off and leave tickets for actual fans these events? Perhaps, policing should be put under more scrutiny as they seem to have an increasing amount of free licence to treat people like animals? Perhaps UEFA need to fund security for these events more appropriately?

After Hillsborough, surely all sides should have learned, just as we should learn with wars... But I guess not. 

Anyone who regularly went to matches (especially away) back then will have been in situations where what happened at Hillsborough could have happened to them. I’ve had it twice, at forest and West Ham. 

it was depressing last night seeing cunts on twitter going on about ticketless fans “like at Hillsborough”. 

when the fuck will people learn?

8 minutes ago, brummie said:

Anyone who regularly went to matches (especially away) back then will have been in situations where what happened at Hillsborough could have happened to them. I’ve had it twice, at forest and West Ham. 

it was depressing last night seeing cunts on twitter going on about ticketless fans “like at Hillsborough”. 

when the fuck will people learn?

As much as Hillsborough was caused by different reasons, the fact that there was too many people in an area that shouldn’t have had that many people is what lead to the disaster.

You would think that the fans of the club who were impacted by that disaster would have the knowledge to not go into crowded areas where they shouldn’t be and attempt to either mistakenly be allowed in, or to rush the gates.

It has happened twice at Champions League finals by the same set of fans in recent years and shouldn’t be ignored. 

I'm a Newcastle fan so I know fuck all about European cup soccer but when did they start calling it the Conference League?

edit: So there's three fucking European comps now? I'm thinking Roma won the Europa League and they won the Conference League.

:lol: Conference League ain't the most inspiring name.