Newcastle United vs. Aston Villa: 13/02/2022 @ 2pm (Sky)

LRD

11 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

W5 D2 L4 since Gerrard came in but no truly outstanding results. They've beaten the teams around them, suggesting they're a top half team: Brighton, Leicester, Norwich, Palace and Everton. But then they also lost at Brentford and obviously couldn't see out a victory against a pretty flawed Leeds team. 

It'll be a far bigger test than Everton for sure but it's another good opportunity for us. It'd be gutting if complacency were to creep in after only a couple of wins; it needs to be approached with the same intensity as Tuesday. 

The intensity is a big reason why I wanna see Bruno start. There was so much more aggression and urgency from him in his cameo, he'd just lift everybody around him if he were in there from the off. Wouldn't hesitate to give Coutinho a kick or too I imagine.

Guest reefatoon
2 minutes ago, Cronky said:

If Trippier doesn't play, I'd be inclined to give Murphy and his attacking threat a run out. 

As a right back in a back four? 

Guest reefatoon
42 minutes ago, Cronky said:

Yep. I don't rate Manquillo that much.

Fair enough. Murphy didn’t look like a wing back when he was there in a back 5, I think he would look 10 times worse as a full back in a back 4. Manquillo is the much better player for that position. Even Krafth would be the better option and he’s rubbish. Think we are past the round pegs in square holes set up now. We have a manager who wants to play his  players in their best positions.

Many on this board seem to get obsessed with this idea of players being 'out of position'.

A manager can't pick all 11 players in their best positions. There are always compromises to be made, all over the pitch. Picking one player will nearly always have a knock on effect on how you use other players. It's just a matter of getting the best possible blend. We can see that with all these debates about how to blend Bruno into the side. 

The thing I like about Murphy is he always looks eager to get on the ball and make things happen. I don't get that feeling at all with Manquillo, even though defensively he's the safer bet. I think we need to keep that positive momentum.

And come on. He's not that far 'out of position' at RB.

4 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

I used to love him. Then he went off the boil. Then back again. Then shit for ages under two different managers. Now I just think his time is coming to an end here. 

It’s always felt like he has had a place in the side. As our CB’s are not great on the ball, even Schar is a bit ropey at times, despite him being much better than the rest. Shelvey seemed like our only player that would actually get the ball forward. Other than aimless hoofs or little dinks to nobody in particular. 

It has always seemed like his mobility, the way he sits too deep most of the time and how he often slows the play down. Plus the walking red card factor a lot of weeks. It has been a position we have needed to upgrade for ages.

That seems to be coming. Now that we have signed Bruno and a Cb in Burn, that is comfortable on the ball. I think he will gradually get phased out the team.

I’m just not sure it is going to happen tomorrow. But towards the end of the season or by the start of next at the latest, should we stay up. I think he gets replaced. 

Yeh I think that’s a pretty fair analysis, although I’d say he has set up, scored or been involved in a not inconsiderable number of goals over his time here. For the club with such a low ceiling that we were, he provided some memorable moments. It probably says more about the godawful state of the club that I like him, in all honesty.

I'm now wondering whether or not it might be an idea to change everything. I imagine Gerrard would have been quite confident of a result, before the Everton game, and focussed mainly on their own game-plan but that result, and performance will have sharpened their focus on how we did it. Could throw them off completely by going 532 or 523, providing Trippier and Burn are fit. 3CBs should be able to restrict Coutinho's passing options long enough for the midfield to pressure him into losing the ball, then we counter through ASM. 

Dubs

Lascelles Schar Burn

Trippier                               Manquillo

Joelinton Shelvey Bruno G

ASM

Wood

Draw then into the middle then crowd them out with Joelinton and Bruno's pressing and quick release. 

Leaves us with Fraser and Willock to come on and do damage against tired legs.